Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:24 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I am a African American Male, 51.

Born in, and grew up in South GA. Outside of my five year stint as a student at Tuskegee University in AL, and a short stint in Detroit working for General Motors, have been in Atlanta most of my adult life.

Lives in the far northern fringe of Stone Mountain that's adjacent to Tucker and Lilburn.

I own a company that sells HBCU collegiate wear and Divine 9 Greek apparel. Get to travel all over the country. Have a lot of fun comparing Metro Atlanta to other metros over the country to see how we measure up.

What's interesting is that most of Metro Atlanta's peers have the exact same issues we do.
I just love an entrepreneur! Good for you...I have a long time friend that is from Americus, Ga, and moved back there a few years ago to be closer to family. That place is a dead end, and I'm still on a mission get her back to Atlanta and civilization! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:35 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
I just love an entrepreneur! Good for you...I have a long time friend that is from Americus, Ga, and moved back there a few years ago to be closer to family. That place is a dead end, and I'm still on a mission get her back to Atlanta and civilization! lol
I grew up close to Americus. I wouldn't call it a dead end but a sleepy rural town. Full of nice folks.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I grew up close to Americus. I wouldn't call it a dead end but a sleepy rural town. Full of nice folks.
Okay Ansley, we may have to disagree here, because I went ONCE to see her, and ummmm, it was depressing!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Well welcome back!! We've been doing a lot discussing since you've been gone. Ditto on the whiny liberal! Did you really just say "wife 1.0??!" LOL.
Thanks, and I see that. I suspect I'll become a regular here again. I love City Data. I just had other things on my mind.

No disrespect intended to her. We're still friends, or at least on good terms. But yeah. :-)

Old 03-23-2016, 03:39 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Okay Ansley, we may have to disagree here, because I went ONCE to see her, and ummmm, it was depressing!
Americus is one of those smallish towns where there is not nightlife, bars and festivals. However, folks there do get together and find lots to do outdoors, at get-togethers, etc. You have to be part of the community in a place like that to find entertainment.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:23 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Americus is one of those smallish towns where there is not nightlife, bars and festivals. However, folks there do get together and find lots to do outdoors, at get-togethers, etc. You have to be part of the community in a place like that to find entertainment.
Totally agree. Most small town activities are either outdoors related, or center around the church!!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Alright, so I have been fairly busy lately and have been putting this off... so here it goes.

I'm a 33 year old single white male.

I'm a bit of a rarity around here. I'm actually from the Atlanta area born and raised. I'm a Dekalb General baby all the way, not a Northside baby! Even more rare than that, my family actually has long-term roots around here. Some branches of my family tree going upward go back 5+ generations and all branches go back at least 3 generations.

I had grandparents that went to boys high and girls high in Atlanta, if that says anything about how much the region has changed! That grandfather went to Georgia Tech and he ended up working for the Bell Company and kept moving around as he got promoted. He ended up in New Orleans. My dad opted to finish his last couple years of high school in Atlanta living with his grandparents. He then went to UGA and met my mom also attending there.

My grandmother and great aunt, the latter of which sadly passed away a little over a year back and is buried in Westview, was born into a home on boulevard across from Grant Park. The house actually no longer exists, but another one was rebuilt years back at the same address.

My great grandfather lived most his life in Capital View Manor. For the time being my family still owns the home. He was a banker and worked in one of those "skyscrapers" downtown. My great uncle ran a successful warehouse just north of there off of Stewart Ave (now Metropolitan pkwy) in one of those old warehouses. He sold that off and that reminiscence of that business was moved to Fulton Industrial many many years ago.

Both of my parents lived in different parts of Decatur. As Atlanta grew outwards over the generations, so did each successive generation of my family. My mother went to Southwest Dekalb when it use to be prime school to attend. My grandparents lost their home during the peak of the old white flight scares. Essentially their home value dropped so fast and so quick they were more than 'underwater' with their mortgage. When their work situation changed, even though just temporary, they lost the house directly because they couldn't sell it at a high enough value.. They spent the remainder of their lives living in apartments in the Stone Mountain area, which admittedly in the '70s was a pretty nice area.
My mother can even remember riding a bus into Downtown, where all the shopping was in the '50s, as a kid and visiting the "Arcade" shopping center. It is one of the places I wish survived.

One of my great grandparents had a farm in the area that is now Lake Oconee. Sadly, we only heard bad things about him and he lost his farm well before it because partially covered by a lake. I never knew them and died way before I was ever born. I find it fascinating that there is actually a creek in the area that bears my family name with a small sign and I even heard there is a new neighborhood that uses the name.

Much of my family are British descendants. Some are Scots-Irish. In my many ways the typical Georgian.

I grew up in Lilburn and went to Parkview High. My older sisters actually went to Brookwood. I got rezoned just before starting middle school. When my parents moved here Gwinnett had less 200,000 people, of course today it has nearly 900,000. We got to see Gwinnett Place when it was new and was a very happening place throughout the '90s. We have gotten to see all the new cultures that have moved here and we have been blown away that there is a -huge- hindu temple nearby, many mosques, greek orthodox churches, etc... It has been interesting to say the least and the food options have grown if you're an adventurous type.

I went to UGA, graduated and stayed for graduate school. I have 3 degrees. One was in Geography where I was very interested spatial research methods and urban geography. I almost went to graduate school for Urban planned, but chose to go another path in life. I have always been fascinated by so many different things and I wish I could do them all. I love Athens. It is a great town to be a college student in. It has its perfect interesting little quirks, great entertainment, low-cost, and a great old university that I was able to go to for fairly low costs and leave with 3 degrees debt free.

I graduated in 2008 an admittedly had a very tough time finding a relevant job for what I had been studying, particularly here in Atlanta. I really didn't want to leave town for family reasons, but it was starting to feel like it might be the only way.

Now when I was in high school and college I had worked freelancing at a number of production venues around town. I ended doing lighting, very similar to samiwas.

When I was in graduate school I got connected with a very small startup company out of NYC that does lighting design and implementation for cruise ships, so I simply never stopped doing that and never left the area. However, I have to travel away extensively, so it does not always feel like I really live here completely. Business eventually grew quite a bit, but we have had some bumpy roads since. Ironically, many other people connected to that company have Atlanta roots as well and several of them have moved back into this area.

Currently I am the Senior Project Manager/engineer and my main focus is the light control system on ships. I facilitate physical changes and the programming of older ships and the programming all of the lights of some newer ships.

So needless to say, I don't actually work in the area. I spend half my life flying away and go through Hartsfield quite a bit. Our airport's connections really make my life easy. I must admit that I'm starting to realize I'm not longer just that young guy out of college and the travel is starting to wear on me, but I certainly have gotten to see large parts of the world in thousands of small quick glimpses.

This is why I care about the whole region and not just localized happenings in one locale. This is also why I am not present frequently, but than randomly I show up writing and debating really long posts like this one actually.... I do miss the fact that I haven't been able to be quite as active in the forum as I was 4 or 5 years back.

I do thoroughly enjoy talking with all of you Atlanta-geeks. I love the variety of people this forum brings in.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Alright, so I have been fairly busy lately and have been putting this off... so here it goes.

I'm a 33 year old single white male.

I'm a bit of a rarity around here. I'm actually from the Atlanta area born and raised. I'm a Dekalb General baby all the way, not a Northside baby! Even more rare than that, my family actually has long-term roots around here. Some branches of my family tree going upward go back 5+ generations and all branches go back at least 3 generations.

I had grandparents that went to boys high and girls high in Atlanta, if that says anything about how much the region has changed! That grandfather went to Georgia Tech and he ended up working for the Bell Company and kept moving around as he got promoted. He ended up in New Orleans. My dad opted to finish his last couple years of high school in Atlanta living with his grandparents. He then went to UGA and met my mom also attending there.

My grandmother and great aunt, the latter of which sadly passed away a little over a year back and is buried in Westview, was born into a home on boulevard across from Grant Park. The house actually no longer exists, but another one was rebuilt years back at the same address.

My great grandfather lived most his life in Capital View Manor. For the time being my family still owns the home. He was a banker and worked in one of those "skyscrapers" downtown. My great uncle ran a successful warehouse just north of there off of Stewart Ave (now Metropolitan pkwy) in one of those old warehouses. He sold that off and that reminiscence of that business was moved to Fulton Industrial many many years ago.

Both of my parents lived in different parts of Decatur. As Atlanta grew outwards over the generations, so did each successive generation of my family. My mother went to Southwest Dekalb when it use to be prime school to attend. My grandparents lost their home during the peak of the old white flight scares. Essentially their home value dropped so fast and so quick they were more than 'underwater' with their mortgage. When their work situation changed, even though just temporary, they lost the house directly because they couldn't sell it at a high enough value.. They spent the remainder of their lives living in apartments in the Stone Mountain area, which admittedly in the '70s was a pretty nice area.
My mother can even remember riding a bus into Downtown, where all the shopping was in the '50s, as a kid and visiting the "Arcade" shopping center. It is one of the places I wish survived.

One of my great grandparents had a farm in the area that is now Lake Oconee. Sadly, we only heard bad things about him and he lost his farm well before it because partially covered by a lake. I never knew them and died way before I was ever born. I find it fascinating that there is actually a creek in the area that bears my family name with a small sign and I even heard there is a new neighborhood that uses the name.

Much of my family are British descendants. Some are Scots-Irish. In my many ways the typical Georgian.

I grew up in Lilburn and went to Parkview High. My older sisters actually went to Brookwood. I got rezoned just before starting middle school. When my parents moved here Gwinnett had less 200,000 people, of course today it has nearly 900,000. We got to see Gwinnett Place when it was new and was a very happening place throughout the '90s. We have gotten to see all the new cultures that have moved here and we have been blown away that there is a -huge- hindu temple nearby, many mosques, greek orthodox churches, etc... It has been interesting to say the least and the food options have grown if you're an adventurous type.

I went to UGA, graduated and stayed for graduate school. I have 3 degrees. One was in Geography where I was very interested spatial research methods and urban geography. I almost went to graduate school for Urban planned, but chose to go another path in life. I have always been fascinated by so many different things and I wish I could do them all. I love Athens. It is a great town to be a college student in. It has its perfect interesting little quirks, great entertainment, low-cost, and a great old university that I was able to go to for fairly low costs and leave with 3 degrees debt free.

I graduated in 2008 an admittedly had a very tough time finding a relevant job for what I had been studying, particularly here in Atlanta. I really didn't want to leave town for family reasons, but it was starting to feel like it might be the only way.

Now when I was in high school and college I had worked freelancing at a number of production venues around town. I ended doing lighting, very similar to samiwas.

When I was in graduate school I got connected with a very small startup company out of NYC that does lighting design and implementation for cruise ships, so I simply never stopped doing that and never left the area. However, I have to travel away extensively, so it does not always feel like I really live here completely. Business eventually grew quite a bit, but we have had some bumpy roads since. Ironically, many other people connected to that company have Atlanta roots as well and several of them have moved back into this area.

Currently I am the Senior Project Manager/engineer and my main focus is the light control system on ships. I facilitate physical changes and the programming of older ships and the programming all of the lights of some newer ships.

So needless to say, I don't actually work in the area. I spend half my life flying away and go through Hartsfield quite a bit. Our airport's connections really make my life easy. I must admit that I'm starting to realize I'm not longer just that young guy out of college and the travel is starting to wear on me, but I certainly have gotten to see large parts of the world in thousands of small quick glimpses.

This is why I care about the whole region and not just localized happenings in one locale. This is also why I am not present frequently, but than randomly I show up writing and debating really long posts like this one actually.... I do miss the fact that I haven't been able to be quite as active in the forum as I was 4 or 5 years back.

I do thoroughly enjoy talking with all of you Atlanta-geeks. I love the variety of people this forum brings in.
Wooooowww! Talk about Atlanta family roots! Your job sounds super interesting; I love traveling, but haven't done much of it. Well we're glad to see you whenever you can pop in!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:24 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times
Late thirties; married; two kids (both under 4). Have worked in public education for over 10 years. Lived in the SWATS/Cascade Area as a young child. But spent most of my adolescence and adult life in unincorporated Dekalb County (Decatur, Lithonia, Stone Mountain, etc). Recently moved back into the city near the Westside Beltline Trail. Have been on and off City-Data for the past 8 years. And I'm sure that many longtime members have seen my commentary on a variety topics pertaining to Atlanta over the course of nearly a decade. I've had to take a few breaks from time to time, but overall, the CD Atlanta Forum is a pretty cool eclectic group of people. It's nice to have been able to dialogue with you all over the years about the city and metro that we all love.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Late thirties; married; two kids (both under 4). Have worked in public education for over 10 years. Lived in the SWATS/Cascade Area as a young child. But spent most of my adolescence and adult life in unincorporated Dekalb County (Decatur, Lithonia, Stone Mountain, etc). Recently moved back into the city near the Westside Beltline Trail. Have been on and off City-Data for the past 8 years. And I'm sure that many longtime members have seen my commentary on a variety topics pertaining to Atlanta over the course of nearly a decade. I've had to take a few breaks from time to time, but overall, the CD Atlanta Forum is a pretty cool eclectic group of people. It's nice to have been able to dialogue with you all over the years about the city and metro that we all love.
Totally curious about how you like working in public education....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta