Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:12 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
We probably have the most strange group of people on CD. I've never seen so many off topic threads. But we also have a strong connection and love for our city, but I still wouldn't want to meet up with some of these CD trolls. Others are fine.
is a troll someone you simply disagree with or someone that doesnt drink all of the I love Atlanta kool-aid? Im curious because that term is thrown around bit a bit. Some people will say Atlanta is the capital of the universe because some new condo is breaking ground in Midtown, but then this same poster will wish for major companies to leave Atlanta due to politics. Which is it do you support Atlanta or Naw? Not directed toward you Demonta its just a lot of members are not meet worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 02:37 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
I wouldn't mind doing something like this, as long as it were invite-only.

There are plenty of people around here with whom I sometimes disagree without being disagreeable. Such as arjay. There are a few, though...I'm just gonna stop right there.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Heh, imagine having C-D arguments in real life. Someone at the meetup would casually bring up Cobb County (maybe jsvh, who would probably be wearing a "F*** Cobb County" t-shirt), and maybe a quarter of the attendees would get into a spat about ITP/OTP snobbiness, traffic, schools, Tim Lee, Bob Ott, and so on.

Born 2 Roll would come, eager to engage in intricate, detailed, and verbose discussions on Atlanta/Georgia politics, transit, and commuting patterns.

There'd be one guy who would show up just to rile up the attendees on some controversial topic, like religious freedom.

Finally, someone would walk by looking for help finding a house. lastminutemom wouldn't be partaking in the Cobb/MARTA/transit/politics discussion, instead looking to help those wondering what the best school districts are, where to move their families, and so on.

Maybe arjay would show up wearing a shirt simply saying, "Elbow Room!"

- skbl17
Yea that's basically the Atlanta forum in a nutshell.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
We both joined about around the same time.

Golden era is when all the "old timers" posted here so I would say 2007-2010. Before the age of the trolls who were suffering during the recession.
I don't know, I remember the first year I joined there was this person named tigers84 who would spam everyone's posts with all this white nationalist stuff. And there were a lot of trolls... It seems more civil now.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:19 PM

I'm in if you all could stand me

Old 04-17-2016, 05:26 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I don't know, I remember the first year I joined there was this person named tigers84 who would spam everyone's posts with all this white nationalist stuff. And there were a lot of trolls... It seems more civil now.

I don't really remember him--and/or he was a flash in the pan. And, considering when you joined, he was well after the golden era.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 PM

One possibility that the site isn't seeing as much traffic is that Internet forums used to be it for communication, and now they've been supplanted by Facebook, Reddit, and so on. Maybe it's just that this medium is outdated, although I have to say I find it a lot easier to follow chronologically ordered posts than I do navigating the threaded, plus-minus system of algorithms that sites like Reddit use.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:43 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes. It was definitely more controversial and draining. There were more a$$holes and bigots and at one point it got pretty wild west. I know I cut back my posting (and I never went back to my 2007-2009 levels). I actually have a personal limit now of just a few minutes of typing--otherwise, no response/no post.

However, I do feel the golden era (with the "old timers") was more insightful and engaging overall.
I feel exactly the same way. I thought it was just me. After getting into so many pointless arguments with racists back in the day, I quit for a while and slowly came back. I even did a farewell post. It was so draining and time consuming at times. I just remember a guy named Bull Bear who would get kicked off (eventually) and then return with a new name to stir up more racist nonsense. Wild West was definitely the proper term. Everything is way more peaceful now than it was back during the "golden era". You may not remember, aries4118, but you were the very first person that I ever reached out to back when I was a naive young guy trying to save South Dekalb.

As for the meet up, I wouldn't doubt if we hadn't met each other before and not known it. Quiet as its kept, I've met one or two of the C-D posters that are really active on other social media, but they wouldn't know it.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:05 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I feel exactly the same way. I thought it was just me. After getting into so many pointless arguments with racists back in the day, I quit for a while and slowly came back. I even did a farewell post. It was so draining and time consuming at times. I just remember a guy named Bull Bear who would get kicked off (eventually) and then return with a new name to stir up more racist nonsense. Wild West was definitely the proper term. Everything is way more peaceful now than it was back during the "golden era". You may not remember, aries4118, but you were the very first person that I ever reached out to back when I was a naive young guy trying to save South Dekalb.

As for the meet up, I wouldn't doubt if we hadn't met each other before and not known it. Quiet as its kept, I've met one or two of the C-D posters that are really active on other social media, but they wouldn't know it.

I remember...

Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I wouldn't mind doing something like this, as long as it were invite-only.

There are plenty of people around here with whom I sometimes disagree without being disagreeable. Such as arjay. There are a few, though...I'm just gonna stop right there.

That's true. You know, there are some people on here I disagree with but when you read some of their posts, they have a good sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta