Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 03:12 PM

52 posts, read 51,773 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Received a job offer located in Norcross. We are relocating from Hawaii in June but have only been focusing on East Cobb area and Kennesaw/Acworth area and are really not wanting to look anywhere else as we've made friends all over Cobb County and are about to put down on a home. Is this a doable commute? It would only be for 3 months and then it's a work at home situation. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
You can do anything for 3 months.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:43 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
That commute sounds like a nightmare to me but as ATLTJL said, it's for 3 months and if you can tolerate really bad traffic for 3 months, then perhaps. Should I assume you guys will be working a 9-5?

Old 04-21-2016, 05:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
Not sure how Holcomb Bridge and Jimmy Carter Blvd are during the morning and afternoon rushes. Peachtree Industrial, 285 and 85 are going to be sticky no matter what, especially with rain or wreck.

At least it's only ninety days, consider it a lenient sentence compared to many others.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Not sure how Holcomb Bridge and Jimmy Carter Blvd are during the morning and afternoon rushes. Peachtree Industrial, 285 and 85 are going to be sticky no matter what, especially with rain or wreck.

At least it's only ninety days, consider it a lenient sentence compared to many others.
Like the Connector during a snowstorm.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 14,172 times
I had a job in Norcross coming from Lawrenceville. My commute was 15-16 miles and it took me 30 minutes if I rushed. The shift started in late morning mind you.

I can only imagine the hell your commute will be. There is a light at the end of your tunnel though.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiitoKennesaw View Post
Hello all,

Received a job offer located in Norcross. We are relocating from Hawaii in June but have only been focusing on East Cobb area and Kennesaw/Acworth area and are really not wanting to look anywhere else as we've made friends all over Cobb County and are about to put down on a home. Is this a doable commute? It would only be for 3 months and then it's a work at home situation. Thanks for any input!
A Marietta to Norcross rush hour commute is often NOT highly recommended.

But if its only for 3 months, then its tolerable.

But make sure that it is ONLY for 3 months. You definitely do NOT want to get stuck with doing that type of commute for an extended and/or indefinite period of time....Particularly as traffic continues to worsen along the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter between I-75 Northwest and I-85 Northeast because of massive new development and massive road reconstruction projects along that stretch.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:20 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Hello all,

The commute from either area won't be a picnic. I have read that traffic in Hawaii isn't eithere so you may not find it annoying.

If you options for commuting to Norcross are East Cobb or Kennesaw/Acworth then without question go with East Cobb. All three places are in Cobb County, East Cobb is Marietta, and they are not really different. East Cobb just put you slightly closer to Norcross. There could be a back way from Acworth heading noth on 575 that could be a better route but I don't see the reason for putting in the stress of figuring it out only for a few months.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Only if your hours are from 7am-3:30pm

Old 04-22-2016, 08:04 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Is it doable? Yes. Budget for 60-120 minute commute times during rush hour depending on where in Norcross or Marietta you will be working and the level of traffic.

My advice? Leave for work no later than 6:15AM and try to get on the road to go home no later than 4:00PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta