Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:38 PM

63 posts, read 87,678 times

Advertisements

My offer for a home in Forsyth county was accepted and I am looking for a closing attorney.

My agent told me that I have to fly in for the closing but I would have thought that I can simply sign with the witness of a notary from out of state. Does anyone have any experience in this? I am on the west coast and I want to avoid having to fly in just for this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2dfw View Post
My offer for a home in Forsyth county was accepted and I am looking for a closing attorney.

My agent told me that I have to fly in for the closing but I would have thought that I can simply sign with the witness of a notary from out of state. Does anyone have any experience in this? I am on the west coast and I want to avoid having to fly in just for this. Thanks.
Have you tried contacting a closing attorney near where you live on the West Coast who might have real estate closing contacts in Georgia?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 PM

63 posts, read 87,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Have you tried contacting a closing attorney near where you live on the West Coast who might have real estate closing contacts in Georgia?
On the west coast (CA), title companies are used for closing, not attorneys.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
On the west coast (CA), title companies are used for closing, not attorneys.
I don't know about California, but I do know that in many instances in a state like Georgia, you should be able to choose what title company or closing attorney that you want to work with.

I know that there are many people who buy and close on property remotely (who live in one state but buy/close on property in another state) and often are not present at the closing.

Those out-of-state real estate buyers will often pay someone (often real estate agents or attorneys) in the state that they are buying and closing on a property in to take care of the closing for them if possible. Would it be an option for you to contact someone in Georgia to take care of the closing for you if it is allowed in your situation?

Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:

Call the closing attorney in Georgia. I haven't closed anything in GA in the last 3 years, but prior to that I saw out of state buyers or sellers close on property often. I'm sure there is a way.

In GA you have to use an attorney instead of a title company. There is constant talk of changing this, but the lawyers make the laws.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I did that when I moved to Georgia, I used (I'll see if I still have the name in my notes from 2003) when I get home tonight.

Was up North, Had Attn do the closing, I was on conference call during it.

If I recall it cost me $200 then, (Cheaper then the airfare, rental for a 2hr event if I actually needed to be there).

Also your Georgia Realtor should be able to "Suggest One/Few" .

Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
^ Nope Don't have the name.... Sorry....

If your Realtor Can't, I would suggest give the Forsyth Bar a call.

Forsyth County Bar Association

Old 04-24-2016, 01:18 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:

I did it from Texas. Just had the agent make an arrangement with a title company in Texas. The seller closed here in Atlanta and we closed there.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:19 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Make the agent earn their commission and get them to set it up.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:10 PM

183 posts, read 352,951 times
When we purchased our GA properties while we were still living in CA, we were able to sign everything in CA. You'll have to let the GA attorney know you want to sign in CA.

You will have to find a title company in CA that you want to use. Then give that info to the GA closing attorney who arranged to mail/email the required docs to our CA title company and the POC (basically, all you are there for is the notary and their services). The CA title company notary made sure everything was signed correctly, and then mailed all our originals back to GA. They did charge a fee (a few hundred?) but still cheaper than flying to GA.

It was a cash buy so no issues, but if you are financing, the GA attorney may need to build some time in there for the back and forth.

I've had out of state clients myself that signed outside GA so I don't know why your agent is insisting on you coming to GA. But you will have to obtain the CA title company and POC info yourself and coordinate that with your agent and the local closing attorney....

Welcome to GA. We love it here! Miss CA food, but it's catching up quick here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: