Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:01 PM

197 posts, read 183,322 times

Advertisements

Check out Candler Park/Lake Claire, Inman Park, Midtown, Ansley Park, Kirkwood, Cabbagetown, Decatur, Grant Park

Here's a few 2/3 BRs under 2,500, good luck!

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5451854451.html
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5537160604.html
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5551665297.html
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5518533399.html
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5549206527.html
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5527716258.html
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5533736379.html
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/apa/5540760232.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Definitely give Decatur a look. Your price range should work for a 2 Br there. It's not 'downtown' urban, but it's dense and well trafficked. It's pretty walkable with everything you'll need within a walk, bikeride, or short drive.

As far as I know, the schools there are pretty good, and the area has a decent mix of family and young people living there.

It's close to Emory (important since traffic is terrible in that area), and has decent reverse-commute access to Stockbridge.

There's also a MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) rail station in downtown Decatur that'll open up plenty of access to the other urban parts of the city without requiring you to drive if you want. Depending on how you feel about buses, and where inside Emory you're working, there're a few options to not drive. The #19 MARTA bus goes from dowtown Decatur to the western edge of campus and the VA Center. The #36 MARTA bus goes from Avondale MARTA Station (one train stop west of Decatur MARTA Station) to the southern edge of campus, a bit closer to the action, but also a longer ride

There isn't really any transit to get your husband to Stockbridge, no matter where you start from. There are the GRTA (Georgia Regional Transit Authority) Xpress Commuter Buses which have peak-time service in and out of the city, with two routes ( the 431 and 432) sort of going to that area. Unless he works the night shift, these aren't really options... at all.

Welcome to the metro! Hope you find a place you love!

Thank you so very much ! very useful information!!! I will take a look at Decatur for sure. I'm just afraid I will be far from the city, but it will probably be the best solution.
Thanks
Gabi

Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,643,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabi2012 View Post
Thank you so very much ! very useful information!!! I will take a look at Decatur for sure. I'm just afraid I will be far from the city, but it will probably be the best solution.
Thanks
Gabi
There are so many "cities" around Atlanta, you won't be far from any of them! They blend together into one big metropolis, and it's often impossible to know when you're moving from one city to the next. For example, you could drive from Alpharetta, to Roswell, to Sandy Springs, to Dunwoody and to Brookhaven and finally to Buckhead, and never know that you've changed towns (although crossing the river is a clue). And it's not just "little town square", fields, fields, fields, "little town square", field, field field, "BIG CITY".

For example, the City of Atlanta (not to be confused with the general "Atlanta" Metropolitan Statistical Area) has 420,000 people. Sandy Springs is the next biggest in this area, with 93,800, just to the north. Then Roswell with 88,300, then Johns Creek with 76,700, then Alpharetta with 57,500, Marietta with 56,500, Smyrna with 51,000, Brookhaven with 49,000, Dunwoody with 46,000, etc., etc. The city of Decatur has a population of only 19,000, but it blends into the City of Atlanta almost seamlessly.

As far as "the best neighborhood", around here, the best neighborhood is one that you live in where you can get home in less than an hour. :-) During the day, the commute to Stockbridge from Decatur will be between 30-50 minutes, depending on traffic getting to 285 and to 675. Add rain or an accident, and it's easily an hour. Consider the Old Fourth Ward area to the west of Decatur and Avondale Estates to the west of Decatur, too. Get Decatur addresses outside of 285, towards Panola, and you can even get homes for less than $2,000 rent.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:39 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times
Quote:
Thanks
Gabi
Well don't worry. You'd be a rather quick (15 Min) train ride into downtown Atlanta proper from Decatur square. That's not to say that Decatur itself is not a decently dense place, quite the opposite actually, it's just not the high-rise and sky-scraper type of dense.

Give it a shot, and if you don't like it, you'll at least have the time to learn the metro and explore your options a bit more intimately.

For example, Midtown will be your much more urban feel, and is in the Grady High School cluster, which I can say from experience is quite good, but the housing is not primarily aimed at families, and so might strain your budget. Who knows, while you're renting elsewhere you may find an amazing deal in a sky-scraper, or you may fall in love with one of the neighborhoods.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:40 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,809,915 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your help and replies!!!
One more piece of information is that "daddy" will commute everyday to/from Stockbridge. I will probably be working at Emory.
Thank you again it's very helpful for us !!
Gabi
Hmm. Well, if you're saying the university then consider Druid Hills. If you are talking about one of the many health facilities then there may be better choices. I suppose my next question is how far is your commute from Stockbridge?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 AM

199 posts, read 301,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Decatur
I agree. Decatur would be a good place.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,774,359 times
A few thoughts:
If you are not already, you might want to get on the waiting list for the daycare at the CDC--the Clifton School (Emory and the CDC share a daycare, and their Campuses are adjacent to one another). I think that there are other daycares near or on the Emory campus-you should look into them as well) It's not cheap, but it is good, and with your husband so far away, it might be good to be close to where she is your first year--especially with how bad traffic leaving Emory can be--and if a traffic light is ever out-or they close down a lane for construction--it can really shut things down. There are two CDC-Emory daycares--one on campus on Clifton Road--the other on Clairmont Rd--which is further away--you want the one on clifton.
The list of neigborhoods that Robertjhajek put up is pretty good --might add Poncy-Highland there, as well). Midtown might check a lot of boxes for you, but you also may be making a bad commute for your husband a little worse, compared to some of the other neigborhoods on that list. You really don't need great public schools for a couple of years--but of those neigborhoods Robert listed, Candler Park/Lake Claire, Inman Park, Midtown, Ansley Park and Decatur have highly regarded (non-charter) public schools for an Intown neighborhood--(Ansley Park, VaHi, Morningside have good schools--but would make your husband's commute worse--and they are all expensive). The City of Decatur is as much a cluster of upscale intown neighborhoods, as it is its own city--it is served by just one medium sized highschool and middle school and a handfull of elementary schools.

Last edited by jeoff; 04-25-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta