Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeOhio View Post
The issue is that Obama has ignored many heroes and their deaths to use these situation for political gain.
It's hard for me to see Zimmy or the cop who arrested Prof. Gates for in his own home as heroes.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:44 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
At least nine people were arrested Saturday at a "pro-white" rally in a suburban Atlanta park known for a landmark that pays tribute to Confederate leaders.

Eight of those arrested were counter-demonstrators, Stone Mountain Park Department of Public Safety spokesman John Bankhead said. Representing different groups, they appeared to outnumber demonstrators wearing "White Lives Matter" shirts and waving Confederate flags by nearly 10 to 1. The ninth arrested person was from the pro-white group; he apparently threw a smoke bomb at troopers, Bankhead said.

Stone Mountain: 'Pro-white,' anti-KKK groups gather - CNN.com

I feel completely uncomfortable being in a part of the country where this can happen. Today. As in, not 50 years ago.
get names and employers please, that's all the internet needs is Names and Employers, get that info so we can treat them like blacks.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wish folks would leave Obama's racial background out of it.

If some other president spoke out on the same issues (say the Gates arrest or Trayvon Martin) would people be having a fit about his race? I doubt it.
Arjay 57

I am sure if Bush had been President at the time and commented that the cop involved in the Gates arrest had acted "correctly" he would have surely been branded as racist, or certainly misinformed, by most of the AA community. If he had said the cop acted stupidly, he would have received angry pushback form the majority community, and Fox news who would immediately have called him a sell out, rino and worst of all a moderate on race relations.

So, in my opinion no matter who you are or what color you are, touching the "third rail" which is anything related to race in this country, is going to cause a very nasty reaction to whomever opines on the subject. Regrettably, that's where things are and have been for a very long period of time. Sad but true and you don't have to look any further than City Data to prove the point.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What exactly are you referring to here?
Wild guess: Black Lives Matter?

Good intentions, perhaps, at least on paper, but some of their tactical decisions have been questionable in my opinion.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:21 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeOhio View Post
Congratulations Mr. Wilful, you are the cause of racism in this country. Congratulations.
No the cause of racism in this country is:

1) taking this land from it's original inhabitants
2) wiping out 95% of it's original inhabitants
3) kidnapping and trafficking natives of another continent due to the color of there skin
4) enslaving those kidnapped people, all while you proclaim "All Men Are Created Equal"
4a) oh yeah these people were considered property and/or 3/5 of a human
5) continually enslave said people for about 300 years, all the while striping them of there culture, language, religion and the rest of their humanity
6) when the slaves are finally "emancipated" as a result of a civil war, there is a 10 year grace period (Reconstruction) then its back to business as usual.
7) the creation and rise of the KKK (several subsequent POTUS' included)
8) more murder
9) more rape
10) Sunday lynchings/picnics (documented)
11) Jim Crow
etc...etc...etc... (man my fingers are tired)

THIS IS THE CAUSE OF RACISM IN THIS COUNTRY. Thank you for validating the title of this thread!

Old 04-26-2016, 05:56 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post

3) kidnapping and trafficking natives of another continent due to the color of there skin
4) enslaving those kidnapped people, all while you proclaim "All Men Are Created Equal"
5) continually enslave said people for about 300 years, all the while striping them of there culture, language, religion and the rest of their humanity
6) when the slaves are finally "emancipated" as a result of a civil war, there is a 10 year grace period (Reconstruction) then its back to business as usual.
8) more murder
9) more rape
11) Jim Crow

THIS IS THE CAUSE OF RACISM IN THIS COUNTRY. Thank you for validating the title of this thread!
While all this is true or close to true, it doesn't explain why the same problem exists in nearly every other country in the world.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
While all this is true or close to true, it doesn't explain why the same problem exists in nearly every other country in the world.
it exists because we're a bunch of apes that walked out of the jungle only 10,000 years ago. species simply don't evolve that quickly. fundamentally we're as nativist, tribalistic, egocentric, and hedonistic as people were when we were throwing our own dung at each other, and until we recognize these animalistic instincts for what they are, we will continue to tear ourselves apart.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:50 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yep, and this OP crybaby wouldn't think twice about moving to some *progressive* *enlightened* *civilized* country in Europe where GANGS of Nazi skinheads terrorize the streets DAILY.

NEWSFLASH: The South DID NOT invent racism. The South DID NOT invent slavery. Georgia (and the South) is far far FAR from the only place where this idiocy from a *SMALL MINORITY*l of morons still goes on. People on the fringe who embrace racist ideology will ALWAYS be around, somewhere. But they only threaten you if you LET them get to you. So stop being a victim.

I'm so tired of hearing that, especially from other African Americans. They visit some touristy part of a European city for a short time then read articles involving racism here in the states and start talking about how bad we have it here and how it would all go away if they moved to Europe.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:38 AM

70 posts, read 61,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's hard for me to see Zimmy or the cop who arrested Prof. Gates for in his own home as heroes.
Me neither, and since they are both still alive, it would be hard to POTUS to shun their funerals.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 AM

70 posts, read 61,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post

8) more murder
9) more rape
11) Jim Crow

Do you have anything from the past 50-100 years? You're saying racism is caused by things that happened 200 years ago and even though they were made right time and time again, people today who have NEVER suffered through these things are just causing trouble and can't get over it? Sorry, I have way more faith in most of the AA population than to believe that. It's just that the loudest, most obnoxious voices get the most coverage. Slavery didn't cause racism today. It's the constant divisive language caused by those loud voices that continually feed hateful rhetoric into the airwaves.

Nobody except the KKK cares about the KKK, they have absolutely no power. They make up an immeasurably small part of the population and their time has long since passed. They are considered fringe morons by 99.9% of all races.

I, of course, am against any kind of slavery in any capacity, as any sane person would be, anywhere in the world, and some of those countries that sold their people into slavery, still practice it today. I guess you would rather have all the slaves and their offspring stay in those countries, trapped in a never ending cycle of slavery and violence instead of coming here and putting roots in what became one of the most free countries on earth? That's crappy man.

Lets put this into perspective: Of the 12 million or so slaves shipped over to this part of the country, about 400k were shipped to America. (The AA population in the USA today I think is around 40 million). We were one of the first countries to abolish it, and a lot of the world practiced it. Dr. King was the last hero to speak a real message. Unfortunately, most of the leaders today didn't adopt it, they still preach divisiveness. Is our great POTUS one of them? Yes.

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta