Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
At least nine people were arrested Saturday at a "pro-white" rally in a suburban Atlanta park known for a landmark that pays tribute to Confederate leaders.

Eight of those arrested were counter-demonstrators, Stone Mountain Park Department of Public Safety spokesman John Bankhead said. Representing different groups, they appeared to outnumber demonstrators wearing "White Lives Matter" shirts and waving Confederate flags by nearly 10 to 1. The ninth arrested person was from the pro-white group; he apparently threw a smoke bomb at troopers, Bankhead said.

Stone Mountain: 'Pro-white,' anti-KKK groups gather - CNN.com

I feel completely uncomfortable being in a part of the country where this can happen. Today. As in, not 50 years ago.
I'm guessing you've never been to parts of the Midwest, NYC, and South Boston. Get off your high horse.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I'm guessing you've never been to parts of the Midwest, NYC, and South Boston. Get off your high horse.
The OP hates anything and everything about Atlanta.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Very true, but I think you miss my point. However, given you post history in the thread I doubt you would understand. The vast majority of normal white folks don't concern themselves in the battle of racism, they simply dismiss it because they are not racist. Which is very problematic, as you can see even in this thread, when Arjay shunned them for embarrassing decent white folks, most chimed in and dismissed it as only an embarrassment of themselves. That is far different for most minority groups, we are constantly asked to answer for the fringe groups in our society and far more likely to be generalized in to the actions of a few.
Were all Blacks asked to disavow the LA riots? Were they asked to be embarrassed? Not that I recall. And they shouldn't be.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:02 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Strange assumption, Arjay. I don't think we should remain silent at all. What they are espousing is wrong, in my opinion, and they should be called out on it.

Their actions just don't embarrass me personally, that's all. I disagree with their point of view and find it to be destructive. Isn't that reason enough?
There is no bigger insult that ignoring someone. That's what should be done with these silly people. Ignore them. They want attention. Don't give it to them.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:05 PM
bu2

It would be one thing if they were burning crosses in people's yards or something of that sort. These people are just marching. So what?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Wait... white lives DON'T matter? I'm confused. Who's stupid here? People who are promoting their own race or the ones getting violent who promote THEIR race? Who's the racists?

I love Stone Mountain. It's gorgeous and full of history. All of our history is precious and should be preserved. We wouldn't be who we are without it.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeOhio View Post
Always has been. Slavery would not have been possible without the New England docks and rich Union owners (Ulysses S. Grant anyone?)

The biggest problem is when the government (and their media darlings) take issues and interject race into the situation any way they can, then the stupid masses jump on board and spread the hashtags and catch phrases created by the people that want the power. They get it. The people end up being slaves to a different master and unknowingly do their dirty work to divide and re-segregate (safe spaces? C'mon). It's sad. Racism would be an extremely easy problem to fix. You'll always have a small core group of people like the white supremacists but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is now. We are far more divided as a nation than we were just 8 years ago. I don't even need to go into too many details as to why.
Here is a detail for you "white backlash" from day one of the Obama presidency by a cabal consisting of the Senate and House leadership, tea partiers wanting to take back their country, (meanings let's get this *** out of the white house) Fox news right wing garbage on a nightly basis, and the rampant consistent brutalization, of young black men by the cops nationwide. That may also have something to do with our divided nation.

Obama has been one of the best and most consequential Presidents in the history of our country but people like you will never see it due to his political affiliation and sadly the color of his skin.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
In atlanta&georgia well to do blacks are racist to poor blacks.
Uh ... It's impossible to be RACIST toward your own RACE. What you're referring to is CLASSISM, which is a completely different monster. That certain people such as yourself don't know the difference is the very root of our problem.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:39 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yep, and this OP crybaby wouldn't think twice about moving to some *progressive* *enlightened* *civilized* country in Europe where GANGS of Nazi skinheads terrorize the streets DAILY.

NEWSFLASH: The South DID NOT invent racism. The South DID NOT invent slavery. Georgia (and the South) is far far FAR from the only place where this idiocy from a *SMALL MINORITY*l of morons still goes on. People on the fringe who embrace racist ideology will ALWAYS be around, somewhere. But they only threaten you if you LET them get to you. So stop being a victim.
TL: DR version: "you only experience racism if you let it happen".

Right, that's always been the solution.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
https://abagond.wordpress.com/2009/1...alized-racism/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta