Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times

Advertisements

The Marlins and their scumbag owner say, hi. $2.4 billion public dollars for Marlins Park. Worst. Stadium. Deal. Ever.

The Real Cost To Miami For Marlins Park Is In The Billions

Why Is the Marlins' Jeffrey Loria the Most Hated Man in Baseball? - Bloomberg

The Braves and Falcons deals are both bad uses of tax money. They're just less bad than the Marlins deal which of course was preceded by threats from Loria to move the team to another city. The Braves never threatened to leave the metro even if it annoys some people that they're moving to the suburbs.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:35 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
The Marlins and their scumbag owner say, hi. $2.4 billion public dollars for Marlins Park. Worst. Stadium. Deal. Ever.

The Real Cost To Miami For Marlins Park Is In The Billions

Why Is the Marlins' Jeffrey Loria the Most Hated Man in Baseball? - Bloomberg

The Braves and Falcons deals are both bad uses of tax money. They're just less bad than the Marlins deal which of course was preceded by threats from Loria to move the team to another city. The Braves never threatened to leave the metro even if it annoys some people that they're moving to the suburbs.
And those buttholes torn down the famed Orange Bowl to build it. #itsallabouttheU

Old 06-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
It truly does. It is like an third world country paying De Beers to come in and mine for diamonds. The cities are the gatekeeper to the resource these companies want. It is nothing short of ludicrous that cities spend 1 cent so a for profit company has access to these resources!

I want to see public funds for sports organizations to be banned on a federal level, yesterday. It is time for cities to start charging an extra tax to these organizations to recoup public funds wasted on them. What are they going to do...leave?
The feds have no jurisdiction in these matters. The NFL has retained counsel since the early '90s for the sole purpose of researching and identifying any attempt to prohibit legislatively the use of tax funds for stadium construction or maintenance at the county and municipal level. I completely agree that local jurisdictions should enact such laws, but I wouldn't count on it happening. The parties interested in keeping the taxpayer funded gravy train running have deep pockets, lots of political clout and are well practiced at extortion.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And those buttholes torn down the famed Orange Bowl to build it. #itsallabouttheU
True. Definitely famed and beloved by some, but also a dump. I'm not a fan of the Dolphins or the U but i have to admit I kinda hated to see it torn down. I was in Miami a lot during the demolition and got to see it torn apart as I drove past it frequently.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:53 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
True. Definitely famed and beloved by some, but also a dump. I'm not a fan of the Dolphins or the U but i have to admit I kinda hated to see it torn down. I was in Miami a lot during the demolition and got to see it torn apart as I drove past it frequently.
It was a dump because the city and county stopped investing money, hoping to force the Hurricanes out to Joe Robbie.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It was a dump because the city and county stopped investing money, hoping to force the Hurricanes out to Joe Robbie.
Ah. Didn't know that. Can't say I'm surprised that Miami-Dade did that. Through one of my customers I have the displeasure of doing business with the county. They're a customer I'd honestly rather divorce than continue to keep if I could.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:20 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
It truly does. It is like an third world country paying De Beers to come in and mine for diamonds. The cities are the gatekeeper to the resource these companies want. It is nothing short of ludicrous that cities spend 1 cent so a for profit company has access to these resources!

I want to see public funds for sports organizations to be banned on a federal level, yesterday. It is time for cities to start charging an extra tax to these organizations to recoup public funds wasted on them. What are they going to do...leave?
There has got to be a political solution to this that most conservatives, libertarians, and progressives can get behind.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:46 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
The national coverage of the Cobb Braves continues. For all the wrong reasons.

Cobb County Georgia can’t fund its public parks because of the Braves stadium – HardballTalk

Old 06-10-2016, 07:11 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The national coverage of the Cobb Braves continues. For all the wrong reasons.

Cobb County Georgia can’t fund its public parks because of the Braves stadium – HardballTalk
That title makes it sound like Cobb's park system is falling into disrepair or something. We all know that's not the case. Nice click bait.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:14 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
That title makes it sound like Cobb's park system is falling into disrepair or something. We all know that's not the case. Nice click bait.
Not yet. They just will have to raise taxes to fund them as mentioned in previous articles.

Things don't fall into disrepair overnight. That will take years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta