Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 08:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times

Advertisements

Negligence on every level. How nice that the solution to one of the primary issues with Tim Lee presents: The Metro Area Atlanta Braves was to dump traffic on a neighboring municipality. I hope they rename the 75/285 interchange after Timmy so people will remember who to blame for this cluster

I would be furious if I was SS.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:55 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Tim Lee will be voted out. Congrats, Cobb this project will make you the laughing stock of region. I was near the stadium the other day no way people will be able to leave and come to games effectively in the afternoon. I feel sorry for Cobb residents who didn't have a voice.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Well, I'm all here for schadenfreudean disasters like this. It's always good to see what happens when poor planning is executed although we all warn them them it but the leadership or jurisdiction (and their sycophants by extension) refuses to listen to pragmatism.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:58 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
I'm recalling the visual imagery we all got of the initial meetings of the Cobb Commission during which the details on the Braves deal were announced & the room was packed with smiling, smug Cobb Chamber/biz types who supported the relocation out to Cobb. And who by extension looked on with disdain when speakers tried to voice opinions contrary to the pro-Cobb Braves sympatico they all shared.
Other than adding, "You make your bed, you sleep in it.", I'll leave it at that for now...

Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I'm recalling the visual imagery we all got of the initial meetings of the Cobb Commission during which the details on the Braves deal were announced & the room was packed with smiling, smug Cobb Chamber/biz types who supported the relocation out to Cobb. And who by extension looked on with disdain when speakers tried to voice opinions contrary to the pro-Cobb Braves sympatico they all shared.
Other than adding, "You make your bed, you sleep in it.", I'll leave it at that for now...
Sadly, the real price will not be paid by the people responsible for this fiasco.

The price will be paid by residents of Cobb and other areas who had no say whatsoever in this process.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Bloomberg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Sadly, the real price will not be paid by the people responsible for this fiasco.

The price will be paid by residents of Cobb and other areas who had no say whatsoever in this process.

And that is beyond sad & on into the realm of what I'd call "tragic". Ain't it the way things so often go?
As an aside, when we discussed it yesterday afternoon, my Sandy Springs co-worker was livid about this latest fiasco Cobb pulled out of the thin air & dumped onto Sandy Springs.
Cobb County, as I have & others have voiced in threads before, has far too often been of the the go-it-alone/s**** your neighbor mindset when dealing with other counties, the City of Atlanta & metro Atlanta. Overall I'm just d*** sick of how that county operates!

Old 06-23-2016, 11:05 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
If the Braves start playing winning baseball people will say Tim Lee is a genius.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:17 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
"As with Pearl and Gwinnett, Cobb’s taxpayers will be on the hook to make up the difference if revenue falls short of estimates. According to bond documents, there’s no cap on how much the county may have to spend."

Very interesting history of stadiums from the Braves over the past 10 years, it's clearly a history of bad, backroom deals to squeeze governments that don't know what they are getting into.

Lisa Cupid was clearly the smart one in this game. At least city of Atlanta, doesn't have to deal with this debacle. Glad I live in Fulton.

Maybe this will be a good thing though in the long run, as perhaps this error will force Cobb into joining MARTA sooner than expected.
I was thinking the same thing.Traffic will be ridululous as it is already.I think the Braves will put pressure on Cobb leaders to open up

Old 06-23-2016, 11:22 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That assumption is made on the fact that Cobb County has the highest number of Republican voters in a state that continues to be dominated by Republican interests for the time being.

There's also Cobb County's demographics in which non-Hispanic whites still make up a majority of the county's population.

(...Non-Hispanic whites made up just under 54% of Cobb County's population as of 2014....A number that correlates very closely to the 53-55% of the vote that Republicans often receive on average countywide in major elections in Cobb.)

Not enough of those moderate, progressive and minority newcomers who have moved into and are continuing to move into Cobb County have yet joined Cobb's electorate to form a majority of voters that could vote to approve the expansion of MARTA into the county from Atlanta and Fulton County.

As those newcomers continue to join Cobb's electorate, this will most likely change within the next 10-15 years or so as Cobb's electorate will most likely transition from a deep red to purple and possibly even blue like other once Republican-dominated suburban Atlanta counties (Rockdale, Henry, Douglas, Newton) have done and will most likely do (Gwinnett).

But for now and the immediate future, Cobb County remains one of the redder suburban counties in the nation and the "Center of the Republican Universe".
Actually I think it will change sooner than that.Like in 5-10 years.This stadium will cause many whites to move away as the traffic and property values continue to drop and more it will become more Urban and diverse.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:27 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If the Braves start playing winning baseball people will say Tim Lee is a genius.
The Braves could win the next 5 World Series and Tim Lee will still be a P.O.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta