Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 03:12 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
In a dozen years of parenting 4 children, I've never actually witnessed "a child sucking on a teet [sic] while I'm eating" And i breastfed for 4.5 years (combined total) so I've been around a great many breastfeeding mamas...Was it more the knowledge that a "child was sucking on a teet" that bothered you? Or catching a glimpse of the actual nipple? How did you know the child was sucking and not just being held close? Does the outside of the breast bother you too? Or is it just the nipple? Exactly what part of the female mammary do you find acceptable to go be subjected to while you and an infant both eat?
In my opinion this is something that should remain personal and not for public consumption.
It has nothing to do with being *bothered* by feeding a child, a glimpse of a nipple or any part of the mammary being unacceptable. This is supposed to be a bonding with your child in addition to nutrition for the child so why is it something that has to be presented in such an obnoxious way?
This is merely my opinion along with 50+ years of seeing more children attached to exposed breast while I am/was trying to enjoy a meal out in a restaurant than I really needed to see in any one lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 04:16 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
Quote:
These things happen all the time.

I don't see how that has anything to do with a baby being fed...?
You didn't answer the question.

Are you ok with your family seeing a 90 year old man tongue down a 18 year old boy?

If you and your family were at the park would you be ok with a man in a tongue exercising in front of yall?

Old 04-30-2016, 04:23 PM

51 posts, read 45,017 times
Liberals.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Calm down dear. I'm a woman. I've had my beasts sexualized plenty. And read again where I said I don't care either way about the issue.
Fair enough. I definitely read your posts with the assumption you were a man. This was based on your first reply in which, yes, you stared you don't care either way, but then commented how women managed to feed babies "since the dawn of time without having to do it at a bakery." I was wrong to assume most women would understand women have been nursing in bakeries--or wherever they are with their babies--since before bakeries existed. And that only relatively recently has this been an issue.

I also wrongly interpreted your response to CCATL in which you wrote, "as a dad" to refer to yourself, when you were referring to CCATL.

So from there I just read everything as if you were a guy. Apologies.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Decatur High student Sophie Mumper started the initiative as a senior project, with the help of a local advocacy group called the Georgia Breastfeeding Coalition. Participating restaurants can use the signs to let breastfeeding women know they don't have to feel uncomfortable.

'Breastfeeding Welcome' Signs Pop Up at Georgia Restaurants - Eater

I'm for it.
Quote:
For me it should be something that should be done in private in my opinion. A simple comparison that has nothing to do with this topic but it like a man with extremely large "body parts" walking around in public with a speedo on. Sure technically he has on "clothes"but is it appropriate out in public? Or a parant changing their kids diaper in public? Well everyone has to go right? Or a guy on MARTA passing gas loud on the train one after another. Sure its all natural and everyone does it but could he at least let it come out silently? What about a 90 year old man tongue kissing his 18 year old boyfriend in public and they are grabbing each other. Technically its ok because its love but does the average person want to see that in public? These examples fall in the grey area where technically its legal but it might not be right in public
You are "for" women feeling comfortable breastfeeding their babies in public, AND you think breastfeeding is comparable to penises, loud gas, and "tongue kissing"?? And you think breastfeeding a baby in public is morally wrong?

I'm having a hard time following your logic.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer the question.
Except I did:

Quote:
A simple comparison that has nothing to do with this topic but it like a man with extremely large "body parts" walking around in public with a speedo on. Sure technically he has on "clothes"but is it appropriate out in public? Or a parant changing their kids diaper in public? Well everyone has to go right? Or a guy on MARTA passing gas loud on the train one after another. Sure its all natural and everyone does it but could he at least let it come out silently? What about a 90 year old man tongue kissing his 18 year old boyfriend in public and they are grabbing each other. Technically its ok because its love but does the average person want to see that in public? These examples fall in the grey area where technically its legal but it might not be right in public
Quote:
Except feeding an infant isn't a "grey area," it's feeding an infant. Breastfeeding is hard, but it's undoubtably best for babies. Women shouldn't be shunned for doing it, or have to stop the rest of their lives.

If people would get over their hang ups, there wouldn't be those few "activist breastfeeders" that **** everybody off.

Y'all sound like the pearl-clutchers who were all aghast when the First Lady dared to reveal her bare arms
There is no comparison. You created a completely false dichotomy.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:21 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
So are you ok with a 90 year old man tongue kissing a 18 year old boy in public?

Are you ok with a man wearing a speedo in public?
Aw Jeeze. I guess you haven't seen my 60+ year old neighbor cutting the grass in his Speedo. Not about to call the cops, but might gouge my eyes out.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Well, at least with a sign in the window, folks who object will know to avoid the establishment. And, whatever happened to a breast pump and taking a bottle out in public?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Well, at least with a sign in the window, folks who object will know to avoid the establishment. And, whatever happened to a breast pump and taking a bottle out in public?
Breast pumps don't work for every woman, and are not always successful at getting the amount of milk needed before leaving the house. Also, not every newborn takes to a bottle quickly, so the only option is breastfeeding. Seriously people, WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?! I'm amazed that this many people think a baby eating is so appalling. If a woman's boob with a baby eating bothers you that much, then feel free not to look. It's really not very difficult for a grown man (or woman) to avoid looking at something they prefer not to see.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:25 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread. Breast feeding is still an issue in 2016? Really? I'm grown and know that if I don't like something, I don't have to look at it. Nobody is forcing you to look at a woman breastfeed. As for it being sexualized...are you kidding me? There is nothing sexual about it. Somebody commented on the nude male body being sexual as its function is totally reproductive or something like that. I don't agree with this either. The male/female body does not have to be sexual. It can be art as well as it can just be a nude body with nothing sexual about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta