Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:38 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times

Advertisements

I mean no disrespect from this post. Of course I think it's tragic that the four UGA students died in the car crash this week...and that the one who was driving, if she survives, will have to live with knowing she was responsible for the four deaths. But....I always think it's tragic when someone is killed. Not sure why this is special----special enough for Governor Deal to order that flags be flown at half-staff:

Deal orders flags at half-staff to honor UGA students | www.ajc.com

As far as I know, flags are not lowered for most people who die in accidents, correct? (Or are killed due to gun/domestic violence, etc.). Is it just because they are UGA students and UGA is the flagship school of the state? Had it been two guys from Morehouse, would the flags also have been lowered? If not, would it be because there were "only" two? That they were guys? That they were African-American?

Again, I am very sorry for the loss of these young women. But I am equally sorry about any unexpected, unnecessary loss, whether it's a 5 year old or a 95 year old (which is why the Baby on Board signs bug me so much---I drive carefully and respect human life, regardless of age). Just trying to understand why this moved Deal so much since people die prematurely and violently in Georgia all the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 06:49 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times
It is a little odd, especially since there was a group of Ga Southern students killed in a single car crash last year and I don't recall that being done. (FYI they were white females too).

Maybe it's to create awareness of road safety of young people?

Old 04-30-2016, 06:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
There are occasions when flags should be lowered. A motor vehicle accident with four fatalities should not be an occasion to lower flags.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:52 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
My heart skipped a few beats when I read the news and before I called my UGA daughter to make sure that she was still breathing. Flags half mast? You betcha.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
I'm absolutely ok with it. And I'd be just as ok with it if it was two students from Morehouse. As a parent, I can't imagine getting that type of phone call. If lowering the flag gives the families an iota of comfort, let them drop.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM

7,354 posts, read 6,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm absolutely ok with it. And I'd be just as ok with it if it was two students from Morehouse. As a parent, I can't imagine getting that type of phone call. If lowering the flag gives the families an iota of comfort, let them drop.
According the statistics, we lose about 200 kids (babies through college age as these students were) every DAY. Do you want the flags at half-staff for them too?

Old 04-30-2016, 02:39 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Right----if it gives the surviving families comfort, that's great. I just don't remember it being done for other people who were also killed in car crashes (or any other way) and was wondering why these four were being treated differently. And why shouldn't those surviving families receive comfort and have their equally worthy family members be honored? For example, in January, these two people were killed in a car crash where the police were chasing criminals:

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/loc...5821c7753.html

As far as I know, Governor Deal did not order flags to be lowered on their behalf. Was it because there were "only" two people killed? Because they were in their late 70's? But they had quite a history they survived and contributed so much to the community.

Edited to add that I see that the Georgia Southern nursing students did have flags lowered for them when they were in a fatal car crash last year. I suppose it's just the way the human mind works---that four deaths seem more noteworthy than "just" one or even two at a time. And that the death of a young person attending college is more tragic than one of someone twenty years older who is "just" a working person, parent, etc. I'd prefer to honor every one equally, since I think everyone's life has equal value,but no one asked me for my opinion so I shall move on and find something else to worry about!

Old 04-30-2016, 03:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
According the statistics, we lose about 200 kids (babies through college age as these students were) every DAY. Do you want the flags at half-staff for them too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Right----if it gives the surviving families comfort, that's great. I just don't remember it being done for other people who were also killed in car crashes (or any other way) and was wondering why these four were being treated differently. And why shouldn't those surviving families receive comfort and have their equally worthy family members be honored? For example, in January, these two people were killed in a car crash where the police were chasing criminals:

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/loc...5821c7753.html

As far as I know, Governor Deal did not order flags to be lowered on their behalf. Was it because there were "only" two people killed? Because they were in their late 70's? But they had quite a history they survived and contributed so much to the community.

Edited to add that I see that the Georgia Southern nursing students did have flags lowered for them when they were in a fatal car crash last year. I suppose it's just the way the human mind works---that four deaths seem more noteworthy than "just" one or even two at a time. And that the death of a young person attending college is more tragic than one of someone twenty years older who is "just" a working person, parent, etc. I'd prefer to honor every one equally, since I think everyone's life has equal value,but no one asked me for my opinion so I shall move on and find something else to worry about!
People die every day in GA. There should be a feeling of tragedy when it is young people who led exemplary lives, and yet have their futures taken away by an accident. I have no problem lowering the flag to mourn anybody under those circumstances. And if you would like to see the flag lowered for all accidental deaths, go for it. I won't object.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:55 PM

51 posts, read 45,036 times
Very sad. I pray that our father and lord Jesus Christ grants them passage to the heavens.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:03 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Seriously? What the heck is the problem with it? I mean, come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: