Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 06:53 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Excellent question. I believe that the case for gentrification creates integration only as a temporary phase of going from black to white, poor to wealthy. The goal of the hipsters is to convert these communities....not live in them and blend in. The hipsters want dense walk-able communities close to everything and that tends to be the real estate that poor blacks have been trapped in for the last several decades. Eventually the poor and black get driven out due to cost....and many whites know this and that is why they will move in. The integration is temporary.

I live in a heavily gentrified area of Atlanta and I can tell you that many of the "gentrifiers" are black...so some of the neighborhoods are remaining black and they are still popular places to live. The homeowners in my area seem to be mostly worried about people taking care of their house/yard and the beautification of the neighborhood - not the color of their neighbors. I don't even know who lives in many of the houses on my street (or what color they are) and don't really care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:05 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I will never support Trump due to his discriminatory practices against minorities, including black people in NYC in regards to his real estate rentals. He was the head of the company when this was occurring from the 1970s through 1990s and I see no way in which he has reformed. Also, he has no experience in politics, and by all accounts has only been successful in business due to his celebrity status on "The Apprentice." He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and is a spoiled little rich kid IMO. I don't particularly like Hillary Clinton, but I'll vote for her over him due to the above.

In regards to the bold, neither did I. Confession, but I grew up in a family of what others call "saditty/bourgoisie" negroes for the most part (this is especially true in my grandparent's and prior generations and I grew up being watched/babysat primarily by my great grandparents). My grandparents/great grandparents especially on my mom's side saw white people as morally inferior to black people (inferior in actually a LOT of ways) and they had a very negative view in general of white people. I do remember a few blacks, friends of my family members who would exclaim some sort of trait of whites that was supposedly better than black people's and I remember my great grandmother specifically (who grew up primarily around poor whites in the 1910s and 1920s) shooting down every single one of those with words that basically stated - no white person is better than me/mine, they have nothing in character or behavior or actions that is better than me/mine as a black person. My great grandmother in particular was not well liked by other saditty/bourgeoisie church ladies in particular due to her comments about how stupid it was to try to impress or emulate white people. I grew up around that and it really did make an impression on me looking back because I never thought that white meant good in any fashion - speech, money, economics of the family, criminality, etc. I am still the same way. I remember my grandmother (daughter of the above) being SO happy I was going to Atlanta and attending an HBCU when she took me to college and she exclaimed that she was happy because she didn't have to worry about me having a nasty white roommate since they also saw white people as filthy/dirty due to most of the ones they lived around were low class white people. There were a lot of families/persons who agreed with my great grandmother in our community and I grew up around a lot of black people who did not see themselves as inferior to whites as a result. Those that did were usually from low class families (low class meaning having negative behavior, not in regards to money, but in the way they carried themselves).

It actually was not until I moved to Atlanta that I saw this phenomenon on a really large scale, but since then, I know it is everywhere in our society.

I do think that it is a negative aspect of black American culture, however, I agree with Indentured Servant in that it is the result of our ancestors and ourselves having survived an overly racially oppressive situation here in America on all fronts.

I also do not think that any other culture is superior to black American culture (I don't view any specific culture as better than another period). Ghanaians have their issues as well as do other persons from countries in Asia and Europe and S. America and Australia. Every culture has its issues.

And until IMO this inferiority complex is really examined and diminished on a wide scale, you as the child of African immigrants are at risk of having grandchildren who are infected with the same complex no matter what you espouse of your Ghanaian heritage. By the 3rd generation, African immigrants are black American in culture no matter what (unless you have bi-racial children who go on to have children with a non-black person). This is the case for a majority of immigrant families.So instead of seeking to separate yourself from it, IMO it is in everyone's best interest to make a focus on this issue and to combat it through true cultural education in an effort to prove to young black people especially that impressing white people or caring what they think is not important to them as blacks in America. There is no such thing as "acting white" or "talking white" and white people are not immune of their own issues and especially not so in their lower and underclasses same as black.
We're already into our 3rd generation here and the kids while certainly American aren't as far gone as Black Americans. The key though is marrying a black person from a foreign background or as you say a non-black person. Only one of my cousins including the American raised ones married an AA and he possesses a MBA & makes great money. I do generally agree though it depends on who you marry. I've seen it go the way you've described as well. I have Ghanaian American peers that got caught up in the street life, had kids with loose women & their kids are a mess today. The thing is though many now approaching their 40s at least acknowledge the error of their ways.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have never been to an African country but I have known many persons from Africa in America and I also noticed the impact of colonization.

And FWIW, I do feel many Africans also try to emulate and impress white people due to believing whites are superior to themselves and other groups. This is why some attempt to set themselves apart from black Americans. They see black Americans as inferior and whites as superior so they align themselves with the whites. They are basically placing themselves in the middle IMO which is just as much mental dysfunction as the typical black inferiority complex.
Lol this is a slave mentality. No one is trying to impress white folks.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I wouldn't vote for Trump at all. Just because he does exemplify the overtones of those traits doesn't mean squat about his bias. He has said things about black Americans in a covert manner. Furthermore, his disrespect for the rights of everyone except heterosexual white males seems to curiously make me wonder how or why you would even think for a minute that his candidacy or presidency would be a good thing...

You sound very naive of the reality of the social ills native born black Americans have and continues to face to present day...
To each their own, he doesn't frighten me in the least but I wasn't raised to scare easily. I care more about policies than claims of racism.

Oh and I'm well aware of the social ills black Americans face that's why I keep my dealings with them to a minimum.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:14 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
To each their own, he doesn't frighten me in the least but I wasn't raised to scare easily. I care more about policies than claims of racism.

Oh and I'm well aware of the social ills black Americans face that's why I keep my dealings with them to a minimum.
Colonization really did a number on you.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Colonization really did a number on you.

http://grandmotherafrica.com/18995-2/

Old 05-06-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I live in a heavily gentrified area of Atlanta and I can tell you that many of the "gentrifiers" are black...so some of the neighborhoods are remaining black and they are still popular places to live. The homeowners in my area seem to be mostly worried about people taking care of their house/yard and the beautification of the neighborhood - not the color of their neighbors. I don't even know who lives in many of the houses on my street (or what color they are) and don't really care.
I never said that there were not exceptions to the general rule.......but lets not tray to maximize the minimum in order to try to discredit the general rule.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
Good grief, what a long thread. And it always seems to come down to a battle over race. It just ain't so, people.

I'll keep this as concise as possible. I'm white, Gen X, and I'm priced out of this market, too. Why? We seem to be in a bit of a bubble, I'll admit, but career choice, the amount I choose to save for retirement annually, and what I choose to invest my cash in probably has a lot to do with it. Cash flow is a good thing--too much mortgage is bad.

Talk to white teachers, police officers, and social workers, and workers with part-time and fluctuating incomes (contract workers) and you'll find that housing affordability, including wealth accumulation, is challenging for them, too. Throw in the fact that there might be only a single household income, and you have a further uphill climb. Wealth is not always an issue of race, and as we become a more global and diverse society, that gap will start to close very quickly, I believe.

Another thing that drives me nuts to no end is that folks associate housing values with overall wealth accumulation. A home's price, nor what you can sell it for in the near future, does not equal wealth (unless you are lucky enough to downsize into something cheaper). A home can benefit you slightly from a tax standpoint, but above all, it is a lifestyle choice, and an asset that must be maintained (using your cash) year after year.

Smart investing in tax sheltered accounts, saving to the point that it is a little painful, and making somewhat reasonable investment choices is what creates true wealth. Compare an asset that appreciates very little to what you can earn on an index fund/tax sheltered retirement fund--the investment, at 7-8 percent, always wins. I don't think the neighborhood you can afford to live in has jack to do with your wealth, if you've been saving cash as aggressively as you can.

But I'm old school, I guess.
So if something is not an absolute rule, the claim is without standing? Ergo, slavery in America was not about race because .02% of slave owners in the US were black or because many indentured servants were white.

What I often find is that whites often use the argument that if it is not an absolute rule then its a false claim. In other words, the only valid claim concerning race are absolute rules without exceptions. The funny thing though is that some of the same people who employ this "defense" have no trouble liking crime and race......even though whites commit crime too. In other words, it's a distinction without a difference to talk about black crime because white commit crimes also.....right?

Old 05-06-2016, 06:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
We're already into our 3rd generation here and the kids while certainly American aren't as far gone as Black Americans.
Smh....

Old 05-06-2016, 07:49 AM

283 posts, read 375,184 times
Quote:

I'll be blunt.

When I see and meet people who think like you do, I don't associate with them unless it's strictly for business purposes. Even then, my dealings are brief and to the point.

This rule of mine isn't just limited to one single ethnic group. Anyone who deems it necessary to look their nose down at others they deem inferior will have little to no dealings with me whatsoever. I simply have no time for that nonsense.

As far as policies go, many of those policies were and still are designed to keep black Americans locked away in a socioeconomic hole. Those policies could also snare your kids, because mainstream America rarely makes distinctions between black Americans and black immigrants. To a lot of people, your skin color is all the identification they'll bother with, like with people who confuse Sihks with Muslims.

Last edited by John Williams; 05-06-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta