Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
It'd be nice if residents could actually use the parks supported by tax dollars. Every weekend they get fenced off and passed around to beer/food/music/arts festivals so someone can turn a profit.
The festivals do pay permit fees and other funds to use the parks, but I can see how it would be annoying for your local park to be fenced off every weekend. Which is why events like that are not ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM

222 posts, read 243,043 times
Didn't attend, but I'm part of the committee organizing the Atlanta Mac and Cheese Festival in Edgewood in October. I was shocked to read that the organizers sold 8,500 tickets and that the cap was not MUCH lower.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:19 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,261,099 times
I went, or tried to- man it was a total, complete disaster. Almost felt like a scam, huge waste of money. We stood in line for hours just to get one small quesadilla, and it wasn't that good. Rain and mud made it even worse. Just a total disaster.

Luckily, after that we Uber'd into Midtown and had a nice evening, and were able to at least get a laugh about it. Ironically we ate dinner at Escorpion and the food was way better than the stupid taco fest we spent all day waiting for.

If they have this next year, they should get rid of the armband system which was just slowing things up. Just use cash. Also they should have made admission free, and just have every food truck charge normal price. The lines just to get into the park were ridiculous.

Also they need about 10 times more food trucks. Only had a few. It was a total joke.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I went, or tried to- man it was a total, complete disaster. Almost felt like a scam, huge waste of money. We stood in line for hours just to get one small quesadilla, and it wasn't that good. Rain and mud made it even worse. Just a total disaster.

Luckily, after that we Uber'd into Midtown and had a nice evening, and were able to at least get a laugh about it. Ironically we ate dinner at Escorpion and the food was way better than the stupid taco fest we spent all day waiting for.

If they have this next year, they should get rid of the armband system which was just slowing things up. Just use cash. Also they should have made admission free, and just have every food truck charge normal price. The lines just to get into the park were ridiculous.

Also they need about 10 times more food trucks. Only had a few. It was a total joke.
Make sure to sign up and get your refund. The festival was less 1 mile from the best Mexican food in Atlanta, MiBarrio.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Make sure to sign up and get your refund. The festival was less 1 mile from the best Mexican food in Atlanta, MiBarrio.
Yeah my friend wanted to meet up with her work friends who are obsessed with Escorpion. I was not in charge.

BTW I Uber'd 3 times yesterday, and at least that part of the day was a great experience. Cool and friendly drivers. Rapid response times, so much convenience. It makes Atlanta <-> Cobb do-able. A tad expensive.

Thought about MARTA from Candler Park station to Midtown, but 5th St at Peachtree St sure is awkwardly unfortunately far from the stations, and she didn't feel like walking much.

Thanks, I'm going to look into at least a partial refund, since I ended up spending at least some of my 'points'.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,774 times
It always adds to the credibility of an event organizer when they delete their Facebook page because of complaints.

And $40 to get in. That's outrageous.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah my friend wanted to meet up with her work friends who are obsessed with Escorpion. I was not in charge.

BTW I Uber'd 3 times yesterday, and at least that part of the day was a great experience. Cool and friendly drivers. Rapid response times, so much convenience. It makes Atlanta <-> Cobb do-able. A tad expensive.

Thought about MARTA from Candler Park station to Midtown, but 5th St at Peachtree St sure is awkwardly unfortunately far from the stations, and she didn't feel like walking much.

Thanks, I'm going to look into at least a partial refund, since I ended up spending at least some of my 'points'.
Can't walk from either North Ave or Midtown Station to 5th Street? Damn, I would have let her talk Uber by herself.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7767...22,16.5z?hl=en

Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
I'm like primaltech, I tried to go and sample some tacos but left hungry and disappointed. I can't blame them for the rain, (every single weather app sucks btw) but obviously the weather didn't make anything better. Luckily I didn't have any issues with my wristband but the lines were ridiculous and I got there BEFORE 1pm hoping to avoid them. Oh well, I hope lessons were learned and refunds will in fact be issued or the organizers can kiss the 2nd Annual Taco Fest goodbye.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM

222 posts, read 243,043 times
Quote:
Gonna have to disagree big time with this. Never understood the appeal of MiBarrio. Lived right next door for years and tried to like it. El Mexicano on Moreland Avenue past Ormewood is pretty damn good though.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Can't walk from either North Ave or Midtown Station to 5th Street? Damn, I would have let her talk Uber by herself.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7767...22,16.5z?hl=en
Yeah, I dunno. I caved. At least she paid for that Uber.

I'm used to walking, so it's nothing to me. But, I do think that having to walk 5 blocks north or south, then 2 blocks over to Peachtree, is not very convenient.

Shame they can't do a 5th St infill MARTA station. The trains are a little too long, and the line is right under the Biltmore so I don't know how you'd access it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta