Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:28 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,944 times

Advertisements

That is annoying when people don't know how to drive in inclement weather. I'm like others I don't mind the hazards as much as not having your headlights on when it's raining. I often make the mistake for giving people too much credit for knowing what to do. If it's raining turn on your lights. Like ElleKaye I absolutely hate when people drive too close, and I'm one that usually drives in one of the right lanes and go about 5-10 miles over the speed limit so it's not as though I'm going 50 on the highway and people still drive to close, move over to the left buddy! Another thing that annoys me is when lanes are about the merge and you have people at the last minute that try to zoom up and cut people off to get in front. So dangerous! So what I do now is I usually straddle both lanes right before they merge to keep idiots that do that from endangering me or others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
How does it "add to the confusion" when a bunch of people have their hazard lights on??

After moving here from another part of the state, it was definitely weird to see people doing this. I get it now, though.
Hazard lights are specifically illegal to use in some states while the vehicle is moving.

I've been told the reason for this is because they are supposed to be used to mark your vehicle when it is stationary or when it is driving much slower than normal due to mechanical issues. I've also heard from truckers that a car driving at normal speed with hazards on can present a confusing situation.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
DEAR OP: You've obviously never hydroplaned ... probably don't even know what the word means! But with that kind of attitude, you will one day. If you survive, from then on you WILL understand why people slow down and turn on their hazard lights when caught in driving rainstorms and visibility is close to zero. BTW, people do the same in snow and ice storms. But I suppose little ol' NASCAR you would rather just zip on by those moronic slow pokes and get to your destination as quick as possible?

Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM

Interpretation of hazard lights (and their legality) varies tremendously by state.

Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hazard lights are specifically illegal to use in some states while the vehicle is moving.

I've been told the reason for this is because they are supposed to be used to mark your vehicle when it is stationary or when it is driving much slower than normal due to mechanical issues. I've also heard from truckers that a car driving at normal speed with hazards on can present a confusing situation.
I guess, but when there's a downpour there shouldn't be any confusion as to why a bunch of people are doing it. It's not like these people have on their hazard lights while it's sunny out.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
I guess, but when there's a downpour there shouldn't be any confusion as to why a bunch of people are doing it. It's not like these people have on their hazard lights while it's sunny out.
EXACTLY!

And if having their hazard lights on during a driving rainstorm prevents one tractor trailer truck from slamming into the back of a car and killing a family on their way to Disney World (or whatever the situation) then THANK GOD FOR HAZARD LIGHTS! I can't believe some of you people are really complaining about such a thing. How petty and selfish can you be?

Good lord God almighty ... it's not always ahout YOU ... you know?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:20 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
I am not sure what the law is, but if in severe downpours where visibility is so reduced you have to slow down to a crawl I will still be turning on my hazards.

Obviously it works. You notice them.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
If the rain is such that I cannot see, and there isn't a bridge to camp under nearby, I will pull over to the shoulder and stop, then put on my hazards. That is legal in all states, I believe. Also, I can't hit anyone myself if I'm not moving.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:24 PM

149 posts, read 182,205 times
I also can't stand this! Learn to drive in inclement weather, or get off the road.

To the guy that mentioned hydroplaning, buy better tires.

To the guy that doesn't understand why this is an issue, try this little experiment: Turn on your car. Now your hazards on. Push your turn signal up (or down, doesn't matter). Report back your findings.

And to all: Turn on your lights! Even if you have automatic lights. It might not be dark enough for them to trigger!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 PM

190 posts, read 318,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
DEAR OP: You've obviously never hydroplaned ... probably don't even know what the word means! But with that kind of attitude, you will one day. If you survive, from then on you WILL understand why people slow down and turn on their hazard lights when caught in driving rainstorms and visibility is close to zero. BTW, people do the same in snow and ice storms. But I suppose little ol' NASCAR you would rather just zip on by those moronic slow pokes and get to your destination as quick as possible?
Well, I expected a few negative comments, but not quite as jerky as yours. No, I can't say that I have hydroplaned too many times in my life...not saying that it hasn't happened, but I never said I was zipping through traffic either, just that people were in the left lane doing 35. I know what a safe speed is for my vehicle in this type of weather, and that plays a lot into it. I'm not saying people need to drive 70 in the rain, or that I was going anywhere close to that speed, but the type of vehicle, tire quality, driver awareness, etc. is a huge factor in driving in poor conditions. My point was that so many people aren't aware of their surroundings and just don't pay attention to the world around them, and I'll say it again, if you can't see well enough to drive, pull over! I don't buy the excuse that the rain came on so suddenly you can't pull over. I've been driving for 24 years and have never been in a situation where I couldn't see enough to slow down and pull over if I needed to. Some of you pointed out that the world doesn't revolve around me, and you're right! I pay attention to others when I drive, especially in weather like this. I turn my headlights on so people can see me. I don't back up traffic by doing 35 in the left lane no matter what the conditions are like, and most of all, I do my best to not inconvenience other drivers, so you're right, the world doesn't revolve around me, and I don't pretend it does. I think some of you on here might need to meet kettle, as from what I saw yesterday, many of the drivers in question were absolutely clueless to their surroundings and in fact very selfish drivers. In fact, in most states it's illegal to drive with your hazards on...it's meant to show a stopped vehicle in or on the side of the road. Unfortunately it's not illegal in GA, but the GSP is highly against doing it.
I certainly didn't expect this much negativity about this when I posted...dang, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta