Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:33 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times

Advertisements

I know people will be upset with me for saying this but a lot of Puerto Ricans and other Latino people did not support Barack simply because he is black «but they would run to vote for someone based off them being white» and now we have a white president who is shi****g on Latinos. Haha. The irony!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I know people will be upset with me for saying this but a lot of Puerto Ricans and other Latino people did not support Barack simply because he is black «but they would run to vote for someone based off them being white» and now we have a white president who is shi****g on Latinos. Haha. The irony!!!!!!
Please explain what this even means?

Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 AM

91 posts, read 79,211 times
Atlanta's Hispanic/Latino community, which is Mexican-dominated but also have large Caribbean and Central American populations too, is mostly in far northeast Atlanta (Gwinnett County in particular), a diverse area where there also large numbers of "native" whites and blacks obviously. Also, the non-hispanic Caribbean community (Jamaicans etc), is largely in the same area, east/northeast Atlanta.

All that said, Im 97% sure Atlanta's Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, caribbean hispanics, are in this area as well, Gwinnett County northeast Atlanta area, living among other Hispanics, West Indians and others.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:17 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Which Atlanta neighborhoods and suburbs have notable numbers of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans? Thanks
Norcross, Marietta, and scattered in between

Old 04-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Metro Atalanta is not really especially segregated by race or ethnicity but moreso by money.

Now, that does not mean that you won't find clusters of black, white, Spanish, or Asian people in an area but it is mostly mixed up.

I agree with the other posters that you'll find a high population of Spanish people in parts of Gwinnett Co, Cobb Co, around Buford Hwy, and even Sandy Springs. It's collective though with the highest population being Mexican and not really broken down by whether they are Puerto Rican or Dominican.

If you are with the school of thought that those groups are West Indian or Caribbean, then looking on the south side of town might give you what you're looking for.
To be honest the Caribbean and West Indian identifying population is heavily represented on the East side....

Old 04-25-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Spanish is a language and many of us Latinos resent it when people call us Spanish. The Spanish live in Spain.
LMAO....this is true.....

Old 04-25-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
careful...

Things aren't so white and black (figuratively speaking).

Spanish is also an ethnicity. The adjective of people and customs related to Spain.

The Spanish did settle large parts of the new world to the South... though not all, of course.

This means Spanish, ethnically speaking, is blended into many Latin cultures in Central and South America much in the was English is blended into culture in Canada and here at home.

Of course, nothing is purely Spanish or purely English, but they are sometimes the predominate culture in which language, culture, and customs come from. It is often blended with a mix of things and native populations. By how much can differ from country to country and in places within countries.

It's also a far fetch to yell bigotry when someones original opinion is that they are having a hard time keeping track of what people consider themselves from different places.... particularly when they get conflicting info (hince Elle's example of the Peruvian bf considering himself Spanish)

There is much more gray area to all of this.

I'm from the US and I know I'm more ethnically and culturally rooted from England and Ulster Scots-Ireland, but go up to NYC and many more will consider themselves Italian and Germans in the Midwest.

Others will shy away from that altogether and just say they are American, Midwestern, Southern, etc...

Others will say all of the above.

It is a complex issue that changes based on the individual. The same thing happens in other cultures too. Of course, the more of an outsider we are, the more we can't see this and we look for the one special word we can safely call everyone. But this explains why her Peruvian bf considers himself Spanish (and likely/possibly Peruvian, Latin, Latino, Mestizo, and others). The problem is you can't really determine that without knowing the specific individuals cultural roots.

This is really something both Onyx and Elle's types of opinion need to look into and be careful of.
You have a very level headed context and your comments were spot on to a degree. I will add though that people, some maybe and not all, still refer to my temporary home of Brazil as "Latin America" as well and the Portuguese share no thing with the Spanish even though some claim Portuguese to be a romance language.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
^^^Brazil is Latin America (but not Hispanic) & yes, Portuguese is a Romance language...what else can it be?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
This resurrected thread (?) has gone completely off topic and. It is not Atlanta centric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta