Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 PM

712 posts, read 695,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'd be very surprised if that was the case. Neighborhood Charter only has elementary and middle grades, so once that school is graduating kids, they have nowhere to go except Jackson, unless of course their families are moving away. Drew on the other hand, does have a high school. So that is a different story. The majority of students are definitely coming from the feeder schools, just because of shear number. But there have to be a good number of kids coming from Neighborhood as well.
You may be right. I have no way of knowing whether his assertion is accurate. What's notable to me is that it appears that they're making great strides with relatively small changes in enrollment composition. That really isn't the norm in urban education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:17 PM

16,631 posts, read 29,306,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Congrats to everyone at Jackson.

At the bottom of the comments for that article there is a long comment from a Jackson parent correcting inaccuracies. Here is a small portion of it. "While I'm gratified that this article highlights our HS, the author is wrong on a number of points.
In 2011, Maynard had 791 students enrolled (our oldest daughter being one of them); it now has 1069.

Maynard had already been accepted into the IB Programme, and was accepting students into it in 2011. Teachers and staff were undergoing periodic training and reviews, and the first official classes started in 2013.
"

More in the comments section here - Turnaround of Atlanta’s Maynard Jackson High offers national model | Get Schooled

Also per the DoE's Mar 2016 count Jackson is 8% white, 82 white students total. Jackson had 16 white students at the Oct 2011 count. Per the parent commenter almost none of Jackson's students are coming from charter schools. They're coming from the feeder schools in the cluster.

This does make more sense. Thanks!

(I had no time to read the comments earlier today)

Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep. Not good.

Inman, Sutton, and Renfroe did not have to worry about this issue as they progressed.
BUT a great many of those families in Inman and Sutton can and do afford private school. The melt starts before the kids finish elementary school and they don't make it to public middle. (Renfroe is probably the exception here and isn't really an apples to apples comparison. The demographics of City of Decatur schools has changed so dramatically in the last decade.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
That's the number Jackson submitted to the state in March. It's on the DoE's website.
I have always found the state's numbers to be very accurate. They use the data provided by the parents to determine ethnicity.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
BUT a great many of those families in Inman and Sutton can and do afford private school. The melt starts before the kids finish elementary school and they don't make it to public middle. (Renfroe is probably the exception here and isn't really an apples to apples comparison. The demographics of City of Decatur schools has changed so dramatically in the last decade.)

True--and I was taking that into account. My point was to illustrate that those schools did not have as much (or basically no) charter-drain issues in addition to the issues related to the private school pull.

Many in SE Atlanta send their kids to private as well (but probably less than Inman/Sutton).

And yes, CSD/Renfroe is, like, so different now (after the K-3 switcheroo/redistricteroo in 2004).

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
Quote:
Yep. Not good.

Inman, Sutton, and Renfroe did not have to worry about this issue as they progressed.
Quote:
True--and I was taking that into account. My point was to illustrate that those schools did not have as much (or basically no) charter-drain issues in addition to the issues related to the private school pull.

Many in SE Atlanta send their kids to private as well (but probably less than Inman/Sutton).

And yes, CSD/Renfroe is, like, so different now (after the K-3 switcheroo/redistricteroo in 2004).
There is a new charter school in Buckhead -- Atlanta Classical (I think) and it had a big impact last year on Sutton/ the later grades of Buckhead elementary schools, too.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
There is a new charter school in Buckhead -- Atlanta Classical (I think) and it had a big impact last year on Sutton/ the later grades of Buckhead elementary schools, too.

That's unfortunate.

I knew there was this school, but was not sure about the impact.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,706,379 times
Principal Stephanie Johnson a finalist in 2017 National Principal of the Year
https://www.nassp.org/news-and-resou...lists?SSO=true

Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 PM

253 posts, read 301,385 times
This used to be Southside High Correct? lol sheesh, good to see things have turned around for the better since when I was in school.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:29 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Great to see Maynard Jackson doing so well.

Keep it up!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 AM

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...%20Jackson.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta