Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 06:09 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Visitation in the city reached nearly 51 million visitors in 2015, said William Pate, president and CEO of the Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau, during the group’s annual meeting on May 5. Of those, 49.5 million were domestic visitors and 1.2 million were international guests.

That represents a 50 percent increase over the past six years, he added. In 2009, the city welcomed 34 million visitors.

Atlanta currently sees more annual visitors than cities such as Los Angeles, which hit a record 45.5 million visitors last year, according to the Los Angeles Times.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...s-in-2015.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 06:17 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
The haters are

B4 they come in that doesnt include people traveling through our airport

Old 05-06-2016, 07:00 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
The haters are

B4 they come in that doesnt include people traveling through our airport
No, but they do contribute MIGJHTILY to Atlanta's traffic problems, which nobody ever seems to acknowledge. Makes you wonder how bad Atlanta traffic would be if it were not such a big tourist / convention / sports draw, or if not on the crossroads to Florida.

I was thinking about this just yesterday afternoon while stuck in traffic in downtown Savannah: Every Thursday and Friday, tens of thousands of weekend visitors flood into this city like clockwork and the uptick in traffic is very noticeable. There's also a big difference downtown when SCAD is in session and when they're out -- SCAD has a huge bus network, plus adds a ton of street walkers and bike riders to the streets.

At least Downtown Atlanta doesn't suffer gridlock caused by horse carriages, tour trolleys, pedicabs and Slow Rides!

Old 05-06-2016, 10:19 AM

364 posts, read 418,274 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/ny...this-year.html

New York City only welcomed 59.7 Million. I can't believe we are that close to New York City with our visitors.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/ny...this-year.html

New York City only welcomed 59.7 Million. I can't believe we are that close to New York City with our visitors.

Atlanta is a less expensive option than NYC and is a very popular weekend regional destination in the South...not to mention the conventions and major events that are a national draw. NYC is obviously a much bigger tourist destination both nationally and internationally than Atlanta, but that doesn't necessarily lead to tons more visitors. I know it's hard for many people to believe (not saying you actually don't believe it), but when you look at it from a total visitors perspective it's a little easier to fathom.

Atlanta being on the way to and from Florida can't be overlooked either. Being near the center (and being the "capital") of the most populated region in the US doesn't hurt either.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

At least Downtown Atlanta doesn't suffer gridlock caused by horse carriages, tour trolleys, pedicabs and Slow Rides!

Actually...we do have them all, but I'm sure not to the extent that Savannah does.

downtown atlanta horse carriage - Bing images

downtown atlanta tour trolley - Bing images

pedicab downtown atlanta - Bing images

electric car tour downtown atlanta - Bing images

Old 05-16-2016, 05:31 PM

An interesting private message someone felt the need to send me...apparently he doesn't believe the numbers - Atlanta couldn't possibly have 51 million visitors in one year! It must be offensive to Chicago to even repeat this information, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps
Another thread had that Atlanta hits 51 million tourist as a thread ......

To me they certainly are not ALL HEADING TO DOWNTOWN ATLANTA? Maybe good maybe not all great? I would think MOST LOCALS were reluctant to see them besting a city like LA and on Par with a Chicago.... and 8 million less then mighty NYC that accounts for merely for its number of International visitors....

I surely do not see Atlanta warrants mocks or putdown. Just its ARRIVAL surely is ongoing as a Sunbelt city close to Florida's tourist abodes.

Also as said in that thread that lasted only 5 post..... many pass through the city to Disney and ALL Florida offers. But still.....where are these all these people being seen walking or even taking Taxi in the downtown to attractions?

There are Mall type pedestrian friendly streets with retail and eateries....but nothing is setting Atlanta aside there to draw tourist to by retail?

Those AWEFUL HUGE PARKING GARAGES that break up downtown is also not great for walkability. Houston is worst or just as bad too in these garages.

I understand some empty lots for parking around a downtown or even more its core till development. But a Huge garage is more permanent and all over a core downtown is not good for tourism where you would want walkability to connecting areas of downtown.

There was a thread mentioning utilizing more Podium-style buildings. Especially for Residentsl downtown living. I saw in the Atlanta forum. But I can't find it and perhaps it was totally deleted??

But on Podium-style buildings. If done RIGHT.... Yes it is acceptable even if not preferred? Chicago is a city with to some..... a sigma of many Podium-style buildings vs a Manhattan. Where sq Ft there. Land is too pricey to use foe a car space.

Certainly is DONE RIGHT a Podium-style can still offer retail and eateries on street-level. That then maintains more connectable blocks for pedestrians.... Tourist too. I've seen Great Podium buildings in Chicago. Especially WITH Retail and restaurants and some.... especially older ones that were not as great to street-level walking and connecting a block.

Again.... Some visiting Chicago. Even suburbs. Will be taken or on their own. Visit downtown Chicago. There are Airport and suburban hotels for sure. But the MAJORITY STAY IN ITS DOWNTOWN or end up there for business and pleasure.... FOR WHAT IT OFFERS IN REAL TOURIST FRIENDLY AND GEARED TOWARD THEM.

The Hotel space is far more outside of downtown Atlanta. Then other Tourist Big cities.

Not that in total space it don't add up. Like Chicago is just centered for Hotels in its Core.

51 million probably tops Vegas and close or Orlando's number.

Atlanta just does not seem to most a tourist haven? Some say that of downtown Chicago too.... till they visit or check tourist feedback sights. Chicago actually had a PLAN OR ADDING ATTRACTIONS to be TOURIST HAVENS.

They SUCEEDED in its Downtown. Since Navy Pier was redeveloped in the 80s and under redevelopment now. To adding green-space on downtown streets and flowers to Millennium Park added 2004. Both became tourist havens to its Museums with a majority downtown and its grand LAKEFRONT to Present the city on and its iconic skyline.

Atlanta I guess succeeded for tourist not even trying??? Downtown Chicago in the summer especially. Is FULL OF TOURIST SEEN. Just you don't see them on such level in downtown Atlanta.

CHICAGO SOUGHT TOURIST and succeeded in doing it.

Not meant to demean Atlanta by me. It certainly has a growing future. But still hard to believe it reached Biggest city levels yet and passed a San Francisco and LA and Vegas to a matching Chicago too.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-16-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Yeah, we've heard of podium parking here in Atlanta...I'm sure glad this guy explained how to do it the right way so we'll know in the future.

There are several ignorant statements in this message, but "mall type pedestrian friendly streets" in downtown? I have no idea what he's talking about there nor do I understand how he seems to overlook the tourist attractions downtown as if most of Atlanta's tourists are going elsewhere. And thinking there aren't many hotel rooms in downtown...that one gave me a chuckle.

Atlanta succeeded in tourism without even trying? That's odd when the fact is that Atlanta shamelessly markets itself - as much or more than any other city. But how dare Atlanta think it can have as many tourists as other large cities. The nerve.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 PM

605 posts, read 804,801 times
It's such a fun place to visit - the tourist attractions are wonderful.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Where is that damn National Health Museum? ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta