Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisGruschenko1812 View Post
That's a shame. Most of the new construction in Midtown during this cycle has been VERY lame. This building was to be the star. Hopefully, something good will rise here.
Such as which buildings in particular? Can you post some pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 PM

162 posts, read 154,075 times
The great tall towers (ie, 600'+) built (or being built) recently in NY include, but are not limited to:

Tower Verre;
111 West 57th
Coach/ 10 Hudson Yards
Time Warner/ 30 Hudson Yards
One Vanderbilt
45 E 22nd St
111 Murray
520 Fifth Avenue
Park Lane redevelopment
15 Central Park West
50 West St
Goldman Sachs
217 W 57th St.
252 E 57th St
Gehry's 8 Spruce St
56 Leonard
220 Central Park South
30 Park Place
Bank of America
Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle
616 First Avenue
610 Lexington Ave
9 Dekalb
35 Hudson Yards
One57
Hines' Park Ave Tower
7 Bryant Park
425 Park Ave
118 E 59th St
15 Central Park West
520 Park Ave
80 South Street
125 Greenwich St
45 Broad St

This developer, Askenazy, was not involved with one of those.

Last edited by BorisGruschenko1812; 05-10-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 06:02 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
The great tall towers (ie, 600'+) built (or being built) recently in NY include, but are not limited to:

Tower Verre;
111 West 57th
Coach/ 10 Hudson Yards
Time Warner/ 30 Hudson Yards
One Vanderbilt
45 E 22nd St
111 Murray
520 Fifth Avenue
Park Lane redevelopment
15 Central Park West
50 West St
Goldman Sachs
217 W 57th St.
252 E 57th St
Gehry's 8 Spruce St
56 Leonard
220 Central Park South
30 Park Place
Bank of America
Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle
616 First Avenue
610 Lexington Ave
9 Dekalb
35 Hudson Yards
One57
Hines' Park Ave Tower
7 Bryant Park
425 Park Ave
118 E 59th St
15 Central Park West
520 Park Ave
80 South Street
125 Greenwich St
45 Broad St

This developer, Askenazy, was not involved with one of those.
For heavens sake post an example of a building that shows this developer style you don't like.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 PM

Look at their website. They own mediocre buildings and develop very few.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
The new Applebees out here is a better option than yet another Waffle House in town... But, on to your point!

This is a metropolitan region of about 6 million human beings. The city contains less than 500,000 of those folks. People who live in the suburbs often work in town and thus experience the traffic. Those suburbanites are directly contributing to intowners' quality of life and the city's economic growth. The same can be said of city folks who create jobs for those inbound commuters from the burbs. So, we all have a symbiotic relationship. You cannot draw an imaginary boundary between the two areas and worry only about the area in which you live. To do so, would be cutting off your nose in spite of your face, as my dad would have said.

Besides, I lived 25 years in Midtown and haven't stopped caring about the place I called home for so long just because I moved.
You tell em! If inner city types don't care about what goes on in the suburbs, then why the endless threads about sprawl?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:02 AM

197 posts, read 184,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You tell em! If inner city types don't care about what goes on in the suburbs, then why the endless threads about sprawl?
Because most of our suburbs have nothing urban about them. They should just be called subs.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Because most of our suburbs have nothing urban about them. They should just be called subs.
Trying to process a reply to this. Here is where my brain goes:

First thing that pops in my head is that a growing number of Americans are completely removed from the agrarian society that has sustained mankind for the majority of our existence on this planet. Most people for ever have lived in rural areas for like.... forever. An area was either rural or urban. One or the other.

These are the basic defining words for the word "suburban:" rural and urban. Once rural areas develop and are full of homes, schools, shopping centers, hospitals, places of employment, etc, etc. they are no longer rural. They urbanize. That it isn't full of multi story buildings abutted one against the other on a grid doesn't mean they aren't urban. So a term came up to describe this type of development.... suburban.

Using the word "suburban" to describe a certain type of development is not how it has been for the last century or so that the term has been around. It was used to designate areas dependent on a central city but outside its corporate limits. Using this new definition damns the argument that many on here try to make. Atlanta is suburban in its development save for downtown and midtown and parts of Buckhead. But even those three "urban" islands are still dependent on a car.

Are we coming to a place of defining urban as where one can function without a car? Is that what we are boiling down to, hatred for the automobile? That for better or worse, our society is largely car dependent EVERYWHERE seems to be lost. I can't think of anywhere in Atlanta I would want to live without a car. It would be a hardship in 99.9% of the instances I can think of. Maybe a highrise on a marta line with a grocery store on the ground level and my job in a building on that marta line and my family all living in similar buildings on same line.... otherwise, give me a car!

So you need to come up with a new term for suburban because Atlanta is basically suburban by your own definition. Or continue to make your claim that you are more urbane (different word from urban) because you live ITP when in actuality you are just a millimeter removed from the suburbs you disdain on any map.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:00 PM

I just hope they keep the design.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 PM

770 posts, read 603,940 times
Quote:
Look at their website. They own mediocre buildings and develop very few.
That's true, however I believe the actual design was done or worked on with Arquitectonica, so if they are going back to the drawing board with a taller building, hopefully they are involved again as I believe they were originally.

Look at their site and I think you'll see commonalities in the design announced and some of their other projects which are clearly more inspired. Hopefully Arq is still involved now.

http://arquitectonica.com/

Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 AM

Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta