Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 07:21 PM

68 posts, read 74,920 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad saving for an apartment. I don't make enough now, but I hope to have an increase in my salary by next year. I plan to have at least $5000 saved before I start looking. Looking to pay at least $800-900 for a 1BDR 1BR somewhere in the areas I listed above.

I prefer living in an area that is accessible to downtown, and has a decent selection of restaurants and shopping centers. But, is it possible with the way rent is climbing up? Sandy Springs has always been high, but I blame the new Stadium for the rent inflation in Cobb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,256,791 times
Just be really careful, but I subletted the top floor of a 3 floor furnished condo in Sandy Springs for $550 a month via craiglist. There are deals there.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,908,203 times
I'd avoid that area.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,584,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post
I'm a recent college grad saving for an apartment. I don't make enough now, but I hope to have an increase in my salary by next year. I plan to have at least $5000 saved before I start looking. Looking to pay at least $800-900 for a 1BDR 1BR somewhere in the areas I listed above.

I prefer living in an area that is accessible to downtown, and has a decent selection of restaurants and shopping centers. But, is it possible with the way rent is climbing up? Sandy Springs has always been high, but I blame the new Stadium for the rent inflation in Cobb.
There likely are so many apartments in those areas that fit your criteria that there might be too many to name.

One tool that you can use to help you find an affordable apartment that is habitable is Promove, which is an apartment-hunting tool that many of the other posters on the Atlanta forum like to recommend to those who are looking for apartments.
Promove - Atlanta Apartment Finder

Also, because you are looking to be conveniently accessible to Downtown Atlanta, it might be best if you dropped Kennesaw to the bottom of your list (because of the frequent traffic challenges along I-75 north of I-285) and moved Sandy Springs to the top of your list (because of the area's accessibility to MARTA heavy rail transit service for non-vehicular trips to and from Downtown Atlanta).

The list of the aforementioned areas that you are considering should probably look something like this:

1) Sandy Springs (...At the top of the list for its accessibility to MARTA heavy rail transit service to and from Downtown Atlanta...If you live in Sandy Springs you will definitely need to take the frequent use of MARTA heavy rail into strong consideration for commutes to and from Downtown because of the massive congestion-inducing construction project that is set to take place at the I-285/GA 400 interchange over the next several years)...

2) Vinings (...Second from the top of the list because of its relatively very close proximity to Downtown Atlanta and the presence of surface route alternatives to I-75 like Atlanta Road/Marietta Boulevard/West Marietta Street/Marietta Street)...

3) Smyrna (...Also somewhat relatively very close to Downtown Atlanta and also accessible to Downtown Atlanta by way of Atlanta Road/Marietta Boulevard/West Marietta Street/Marietta Street)...

4) Marietta (...At #4 because it is farther away from Downtown Atlanta than Sandy Springs, Vinings and Smyrna and can present a slightly more challenging commute to and from Downtown ATL)...

5) Kennesaw (...At the bottom of the list because the rush hour commute between Kennesaw and Downtown ATL is longer and more challenging than any other district on this list, particularly if one has to use I-75 north of I-285 at the height of the morning and afternoon rush hours. Kennesaw likely has much affordable apartment housing in your price range, but the rush hour commutes between here and Downtown ATL can be somewhat challenging at times)...

In addition to the aforementioned suburban districts, some other districts where you will be likely to find habitable affordable apartment housing in an area of many restaurants and shops and MARTA heavy rail transit access to and from Downtown ATL are Chamblee and Doraville....Two areas with their own namesake MARTA heavy rail stations and a very large international community centered on the Buford Highway corridor.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:48 PM

246 posts, read 317,441 times
Use ProMove. I got some pretty good move-in deals in the past using them. Other people on this board will crap all over them and say they get commissions for referrals, but it is hands-down the most efficient way to find an apartment in metro Atlanta if you want to live in a managed complex versus renting from an individual landlord (which can sometimes be a little sketchy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta