Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:20 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Born and raised in the A. Never gotten called the "N" word in all my years of living here. Only times in my life I have been called the "N" word were both in Chi. Once while walking in the outer edges of the Beverly neighborhood on the Southside of Chicago not even 5 years ago. And as a child me and my cousin actually got chased by a car full of white dudes after leaving a beach in NW Indiana. Chicago is like my second home and I love it. My love for it is only behind my love for my own city. But it's racist as hell breh. No 2 ways around it.
Like crime....it depends on where your at. Born in raised in the Great Lakes region, Michigan in particular, it is probably the most segregated part of the country and as a person who is 50, I have experienced much racism there. Metro Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland....very segregated and this breeds and incubates ignorance.

I think Atlanta's rapid growth makes it more reflective of modern racial attitudes. With lots of new housing developments over the last 30 years, there are no neighborhoods where a race of people have dug in and drawn a line in the sand, so to speak. I think rapid population growth mutes a lot of that because people moving into new communities are often of all races. Contrast that with metro areas that have been stagnant for the last 40 years. Neighborhoods and communities were established during the era of high racial intolerance and a lot of them have remained demographically frozen in time. The only thing that shook up this pattern was the housing crisis that allowed record number of people to move up a level in home ownership.

I think Georgia has a fair amount of racist......but they have no place to call their own in the Metro area, due to the areas rapid growth. Once the growth in the metro area stagnates for sometime....then you will start to see such areas ferment.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-11-2016 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta1000 View Post
Interesting. I never noticed when I lived there
I mean, they're long gone nowadays or at least just very small. All my years in GA and I've only seen the Klan in history books.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:41 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
I am always interested when Northern friends assume the South is segregated and they are not. But when we compare childhood experiences, I never went to a public school that was not at least 30% African American and their experience is more like 5% or less (which is not consistent with national averages).

When you grow up in a place that is highly segregated you don't realize it because it is your only point of reference.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Born and raised in the A. Never gotten called the "N" word in all my years of living here. Only times in my life I have been called the "N" word were both in Chi. Once while walking in the outer edges of the Beverly neighborhood on the Southside of Chicago not even 5 years ago. And as a child me and my cousin actually got chased by a car full of white dudes after leaving a beach in NW Indiana. Chicago is like my second home and I love it. My love for it is only behind my love for my own city. But it's racist as hell breh. No 2 ways around it.
Wow. I have friends here (black) who call each other that all the time. Interesting how different social groups use different terms.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:16 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I am always interested when Northern friends assume the South is segregated and they are not. But when we compare childhood experiences, I never went to a public school that was not at least 30% African American and their experience is more like 5% or less (which is not consistent with national averages).

When you grow up in a place that is highly segregated you don't realize it because it is your only point of reference.
Segregation is still prevalent in Fulton, but I don't consider it racism. Take a look at College Park demographics for a sec
White 77.4%
Black 13.2%
Asian 5.4%
Hispanic 17.4%
Now here's two high schools the city is zoned to

Tri Cities High
Black 79%
Hispanic 18%
White 1%
Two or more races 1%

Banneker High
Black 97%
Hispanic 2%
White n/a
Two or more races n/a

What this implies is that most White people in College Park and South Fulton in general don't use public schools, which leaves the South Fulton schools much more segregated than the North Fulton schools.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wow. I have friends here (black) who call each other that all the time. Interesting how different social groups use different terms.
Yeah my people do do that sometimes. Not giving that a pass AT ALL because I'm quick to tell my own folks to not use that word around me. But it almost always ends with an "a". And it's usually used in jest or as a greeting. Instead of the "what f*** are you doing on this street n****r" that I experienced in Beverly. When a white person uses it and it ends in a "er" that's a totally different ball game. Not to mention that the times in Chicago where it happened was also accompanied with a crap load of 4 letter words and out right threats. When I got chased as a kid it was a car full of 5 dudes in a Mustang. They almost wrecked twice chasing us. First after they immediately saw us and we tried to double back on them, going back the way we came to try and get away. Then again after we made it to my uncles house and him and his friends ran out of the alley and proceeded to chasing them down the street. I'll never forget the sight of that 'Stang fish tailing and the look of fear in the drivers eyes. How fast the hunters became the hunted. Guess they thought they had a better chance against 2 children as opposed to 3 grown men. They were weak. They saw a soft target and thought they'd have some fun trying to scare us. They scared us but I'm pretty sure my Unc and his folks put the fear of God into those dudes. Funny how types like that always like to pick on the women and children. Mano a Mano with someone of the same age or size they'll tuck tail and run faster than a NY minute.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
You won't find a nicer bunch of folks than what we have here in the ATL.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:11 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Segregation is still prevalent in Fulton, but I don't consider it racism. Take a look at College Park demographics for a sec
White 77.4%
Black 13.2%
Asian 5.4%
Hispanic 17.4%
Now here's two high schools the city is zoned to

Tri Cities High
Black 79%
Hispanic 18%
White 1%
Two or more races 1%

Banneker High
Black 97%
Hispanic 2%
White n/a
Two or more races n/a

What this implies is that most White people in College Park and South Fulton in general don't use public schools, which leaves the South Fulton schools much more segregated than the North Fulton schools.
What is your source for those race demographic percentages for College Park (Georgia)?

The most recent demographic breakdown that I have for College Park (Georgia) from the 2010 U.S. Census indicates that non-Hispanic whites only made up 11.6 percent of the city's population as of 2010 while black residents were 79.4%, Hispanics were 6.9% and Asians were 0.9% of College Park's population as of 2010.

Whites might have made up over 77% of College Park's population 45 years ago, but today whites appear to only make up a small minority of that South Fulton County city's population.

United States Census Bureau QuickFacts, College Park city, Georgia...
College Park city Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Quote:
Race and Hispanic Origin

White alone, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) (a) X

White alone, percent, April 1, 2010 (a) 13.0%

Black or African American alone, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) (a) X

Black or African American alone, percent, April 1, 2010 (a) 79.4%

American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) (a) X

American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent, April 1, 2010 (a) 0.4%

Asian alone, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) (a) X

Asian alone, percent, April 1, 2010 (a) 0.9%

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) (a) X

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, April 1, 2010 (a) Z

Two or More Races, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) X

Two or More Races, percent, April 1, 2010 2.0%

Hispanic or Latino, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) (b) X

Hispanic or Latino, percent, April 1, 2010 (b) 6.9%

White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, July 1, 2014, (V2014) X

White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, April 1, 2010 11.6%

Old 05-11-2016, 06:21 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
What is your source for those race demographic percentages for College Park (Georgia)?

The most recent demographic breakdown that I have for College Park (Georgia) from the 2010 U.S. Census indicates that non-Hispanic whites only made up 11.6 percent of the city's population as of 2010 while black residents were 79.4%, Hispanics were 6.9% and Asians were 0.9% of College Park's population as of 2010.

Whites might have made up over 77% of College Park's population 45 years ago, but today whites appear to only make up a small minority of that South Fulton County city's population.

United States Census Bureau QuickFacts, College Park city, Georgia...
College Park city Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
They were the 2014 numbers which are x'd out somehow when I visit the site now. (Could've been looking at a different College Park lol) . Still doesn't explain a 96 percent black school. It just doesn't make sense being next to two diverse school zones (Sandy Creek, Riverdale, North Clayton.) Fulton is highly segregated and I don't have a good reason why.

(Edit: I most likely got the black and white demographics mixed up seeing as your numbers are close to mine, just for different races)

Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Outer edges of Beverly may have been Mount Greenwood, which would explain why you encountered that behavior. There's a long history there and it's a powder keg of racial tension. I wouldn't advise any non white person to go strolling through Mount Greenwood. Parts of NWI are similar. It's not really a hatred of a race, but more so a hatred of what has happened to the surrounding areas where blacks have moved in. The surrounding areas have all experienced serious blight and the residents of Mount Greenwood are one of the only communities left in that area that have not been overtaken. It's a difficult thing to explain without sounding racist, but let's just say there's a lot of home turf pride at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta