Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times

Advertisements

Is there ANYONE in this city that knows how to stay in their lane at this exit? Evey. Single. Time. I have exited off there this year, I'm in the right lane to go to Atlantic Station, and inevitably, most of the people in the left lane completely ignore the curved white-dashed line and try and force me over into the bus lane! Today I popped my shoulder a bit trying to steer away from one of these. Why is this concept so hard to grasp at this particular intersection? I see it a handful of times at other intersections scattered across the metro area like any other driving stupidity, but nothing nearly so consistent as this done at this intersection.

I also noticed that most people treat the bus lane on 17th as just another travel lane, particularly on the weekends, and the double white lines as a suggestion. I really wish A. they'd step up enforcement as this is an actual safety hazard. and B. they'd add some physical obstruction to the bus lane, particularly over the bridge.

P.S. don't just tell me to take MARTA, I've only ever been coming from or going to someplace with no MARTA service whatsoever, and yes, I mean within Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
The weirdest/dumbest thing about that 17th street right hand bus lane, is that the buses don't even apparently seem to use it. Seems like every time I'm there, I see buses going along in the middle or left lane. Not sure why I keep seeing that.

Anyway, bus lanes aren't going to work in this town without some kind of physical barrier.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Yeah that happens to me often. Why? Because people are idiots or maybe they get confused because the 2 lanes turn left onto 17th st which is 3 lanes. Even thought the right lane on 17th st is the bus lane the average person coming off 75/85 only see 2 lanes which turn to 3 lanes

Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 AM

687 posts, read 744,871 times
I've actually seen 3 or 4 people last year get pulled over by the cops for using the bus lane. Obviously that is only scratching the surface of how many people use it but it was good to see none the less.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:51 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
You're right, this is a consistent problem at that light. Happens to me every single time as well. The bus lane NEEDS a physical barrier. I get really mad every time I am driving over there and see cars treating the bus lane as a travel lane. It seems just like every other kind of lane meant for something other than cars, there is 0 enforcement in this city. The mayor keeps harping on transportation progress (bus lanes, bike lanes, etc.), but the cops don't enforce the laws even a little bit in these lanes.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
there is 0 enforcement in this city. The mayor keeps harping on transportation progress (bus lanes, bike lanes, etc.), but the cops don't enforce the laws even a little bit in these lanes.
Did you not read the comment about yours? Apparently they do enforce it some, but obviously not enough.

There have been SEVERAL times when I'm almost hit because someone tries to force me into the bus lane. I wonder how much of this is just unfamiliarity with the area and with bus lanes in general. It's not like we have have a lot of them in the Metro Area.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:36 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
The entire 17th Street corridor needs to be remarked, with barrier-separated bus lanes.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The entire 17th Street corridor needs to be remarked, with barrier-separated bus lanes.
Then that takes away the flexibility of the bus to avoid issues in it's lane. Enforcement is lacking and giving out tickets will improve things.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Did you not read the comment about yours? Apparently they do enforce it some, but obviously not enough.

There have been SEVERAL times when I'm almost hit because someone tries to force me into the bus lane. I wonder how much of this is just unfamiliarity with the area and with bus lanes in general. It's not like we have have a lot of them in the Metro Area.
I did read it, and I'm saying that if every single time I am there I have seen people driving in the bus lane, and nobody being pulled over, then enforcement sucks. I mean really, if you're there 10 times, and you see somebody pulled over 1 or 2, you can't say that it isn't a problem. Reality is, I've been there WAY more than 10 times, and I have never seen anybody pulled over. EVER. There needs to be a barrier there, and there needs to be a ton more enforcement.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I did read it, and I'm saying that if every single time I am there I have seen people driving in the bus lane, and nobody being pulled over, then enforcement sucks. I mean really, if you're there 10 times, and you see somebody pulled over 1 or 2, you can't say that it isn't a problem. Reality is, I've been there WAY more than 10 times, and I have never seen anybody pulled over. EVER. There needs to be a barrier there, and there needs to be a ton more enforcement.
The bus lane is a right turn lane 50' from the intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta