Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

I will say that, while I really do love this statement (go get 'em Kieth!), I don't think it should be the end all mentality. MARTA certainly shouldn't go begging to the counties to join, but I would like to see a bit more proactive push as to what MARTA could bring the region.

Some more simple county plans put up in public places / forums could go a long way to having the counties come to MARTA.

Say: "Here's how much 1% would bring in, and here's what we would do with it" in much the unofficial ways that we do here, with limited investment. Having a 3-4 page fact sheet for each county on what MARTA would do with the fresh 1%, or an additional .5% in the counties would really solidify why and how MARTA would be a good business partner. It would also shut down any of the 'oh, we want a regional planner with vision, not MARTA', since the agency could just point to the regional plans and say 'welp, we have plans and vision, now it's up to those other counties. We won't force or beg them to join, but when they're ready, we are.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
I saw this. It's easy for me to have been saying that as an armchair quarterback, but it's a much bigger of deal when the CEO himself notes that MARTA expansion is in a seller's market.

And he's right. I'm guessing that heavy rail isn't going to expand at least for a few more years and Clayton will be fortunate to get commuter rail by 2018. This is a major reason I do not want to see Gwinnett MARTA expansion on the ballot this year. Let it wait for at least a few years before pulling the trigger.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
I really don't think the other, non-MARTA counties care about this declaration - at least not the leadership at the top within them. Folks who want a transit option in their neck of the woods honestly don't care if the buses or trains are emblazoned with MARTA or some other agency.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I will say that, while I really do love this statement (go get 'em Kieth!), I don't think it should be the end all mentality. MARTA certainly shouldn't go begging to the counties to join, but I would like to see a bit more proactive push as to what MARTA could bring the region.

Some more simple county plans put up in public places / forums could go a long way to having the counties come to MARTA.

Say: "Here's how much 1% would bring in, and here's what we would do with it" in much the unofficial ways that we do here, with limited investment. Having a 3-4 page fact sheet for each county on what MARTA would do with the fresh 1%, or an additional .5% in the counties would really solidify why and how MARTA would be a good business partner. It would also shut down any of the 'oh, we want a regional planner with vision, not MARTA', since the agency could just point to the regional plans and say 'welp, we have plans and vision, now it's up to those other counties. We won't force or beg them to join, but when they're ready, we are.'
Why spend Atlanta, Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton Counties taxpayer money on creating plans for counties that do not want the service? MARTA created a well thought out plan for North Fulton that did not go anywhere. The plans would just have to get updated every few years, costing the agency more money.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:40 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why spend Atlanta, Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton Counties taxpayer money on creating plans for counties that do not want the service? MARTA created a well thought out plan for North Fulton that did not go anywhere. The plans would just have to get updated every few years, costing the agency more money.
Agreed. Use the costs of high priced studies and marketing to improve the service in the currently served jurisdictions. Other than monetary costs, these things also consume a lot of worker hours, as well. Gwinnett, Cobb and others will eventually come around. Meanwhile, work to make MARTA the best it can be in Fulton, Dekalb and Clayton.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:18 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Agreed. Use the costs of high priced studies and marketing to improve the service in the currently served jurisdictions. Other than monetary costs, these things also consume a lot of worker hours, as well. Gwinnett, Cobb and others will eventually come around. Meanwhile, work to make MARTA the best it can be in Fulton, Dekalb and Clayton.
Agreed.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:01 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
By 2030, I expect to see MARTA expand in every direction except northwest.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with MARTA CEO Keith Parker.

Let MARTA worry about the areas where the public wants it and let the areas that don't want MARTA find their own way transportation-wise.

The areas that don't want MARTA (which is everywhere outside of DeKalb, Clayton and Central/South Fulton counties) have more than enough political clout and financial resources to do what they want (and/or need) to do when they get desperate enough to do it.

Those areas outside of MARTA's service zone along with North Fulton County are big enough to take care of themselves while MARTA continues to improve and move forward with the people and the areas that want it there.
He sounds like a rejected suitor. Those are things best not said. At least in such a pejorative way.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:45 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

Unfortunately, the county commissions in question will then say, "See, MARTA's initiated an advertising push in areas they don't serve! That's an irresponsible use of taxpayer dollars by an irresponsible agency!", backed up by the throngs of AJC commenters who think that MARTA brings drugs and crime. Of course, fact sheets aren't an advertising push, but opponents would see it that way.

Never mind the facts. The facts (the KSU study) didn't stop the successful push by a certain North Fulton politician to kill SB 330, and the facts won't make the Tim Lees and Charlotte Nashs of the world budge.

I agree with AnsleyPark here. Improve the service in existing jurisdictions first.

- skbl17

Old 05-11-2016, 09:44 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Why can't we do both? Continue to improve the transit services in Atlanta, and also reach out to Cobb and Gwinnett with awesome sales brochures of different options of transit configurations, of "FYI, here's what all we could do for you with a 1% tax". A PDF document doesn't cost a ton of money to produce. Just need some renderings and potential transit maps, and a few facts pulled straight from Wikipedia.

Everyone keeps saying, oh they'll join when they're ready. But why would they join? How can they get excited about a product that they can't see or read or get any information about? Talking about the population, not just county leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: