Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times

Advertisements

Screw getting a car, get a bike instead and it will extend your reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,433 times
As others have said, Atlanta is much lower density than DC itself. But, that doesn't mean lots of those areas that look quite suburban in Google Maps don't have energy - we actually just had this discussion in a previous thread. I agree that downtown and midtown, while quite urban, don't have the city-type energy of DC and NYC yet. However, many of the intown neighborhoods with rail/bus access are quite pedestrian friendly, providing a number of restaurants/bars/stores you can walk to, and that's only improving with time. These neighborhoods also do have energy, and people are out all the time on their porches, on the sidewalks, eating at restaurants with tables out on the sidewalks, etc. But, they might not have a ton of apartments directly over the storefront. Many are historic neighborhoods, and considering much of the city in those areas were built before A/C was invented in the deep south, trees towering over single family homes designed to cool themselves were mostly what was built. Also, if looking at Google Maps without knowing where the neighborhood centers are, you're probably seeing lots of single family homes and no apartments. Kepp in mind also that Atlanta is really building like crazy right now, and what you see on Google Maps isn't what some areas actually look like right now. For example, the Memorial Corridor in Grant Park/Reynoldstown alone (about 1.5 mile stretch) has 26 new projects planning and being built as we speak. Neighborhoods I'd strongly recommend you reconsider due to MARTA access, walkability, and energy (although probably of a different kind) are:

- Inman Park (look at North Highland Ave at Elizabeth St. for apartment examples on Google Maps, rail access)
- Cabbagetown (look at Carrol St. on google maps, bus/rail access)
- Grant Park (more urban towards the Cherokee/Memorial Intersection, new apartments there might not show on Google Maps yet, bus/rail access)
- Old Fourth Ward (bus access only, future streetcar)
- Castleberry Hill (VERY urban, as close to a NE city as you might get in Atlanta - think Williamsburg, Brooklyn type style - but still developing, so energy might still be lacking, bus/rail access)
- Sweet Auburn (very urban, a couple complexes (look at Alexan on Irwin St), streetcar access directly to downtown, the area is gentrifying)

I also think with a combination of biking, MARTA, and rideshare (zipcar/uber) you can easily live in these areas without a car now.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 7,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Like the other posters have stated, your $2,000 budget for rental housing will likely go far and get you into a lot of areas in Atlanta.

Though one major drawback is that you are most likely not going to find the kind of urbanity in Atlanta that you may currently enjoy in D.C.

Atlanta is probably about 15-20 years behind D.C. in that and many other regards when it comes to most aspects of urbanity, including being able to live completely car-free.

Like D.C.'s Metro rail and bus system, Atlanta has a major urban mass transit system (MARTA).

After years and decades of neglect, mismanagement and just outright political, cultural and social hostility towards the system and transit in general in a much more transit-averse environment in Georgia, MARTA has started to make great strides in how it operates and is received by the public in metro Atlanta and Georgia.

But one thing that you absolutely must keep in mind is that even with the dramatic turnaround, Atlanta's MARTA is still nothing like D.C.'s Metro system in terms of the level and extensiveness of transit service provided (and transit-oriented development around rail transit stations) and likely will not be for probably another 15-20 years or so.

Even though MARTA is clearly on the rise after many years of neglect, attempting to live completely car-free in Atlanta is most likely not the best idea at this time.

Unlike in D.C., Atlanta is still a city that is very suburban and lower-density in nature, even throughout many parts of the urban core. Many amenities, services, attractions and activities are not necessarily conveniently accessible from transit.

It is possible to use transit for many functions in Atlanta, but not necessarily all. You will need a car for many functions, many of which will potentially be located well outside of the I-285 Perimeter (Atlanta's I-285 Perimeter Loop = Washington's I-495 Beltway) in areas with very little to no meaningful transit connectivity.

(...Like for example, in 2017 Atlanta's Major League Baseball franchise, the Braves, is moving to a new stadium that will be located in an area outside of the I-285 Perimeter that will have very limited transit connectivity miles away from any major rail transit line....something that means that if one wants to go to a Major League Baseball game, they will most likely have very little choice but to drive to and from the ballpark.)

Also, most of MARTA's rail transit stations currently have very little if any walkable transit-oriented development around them like in D.C. where one can exit the Metrorail station and be a very short walk from many amenities like restaurants, grocery stores, etc, in a pedestrian-oriented and pedestrian-friendly environment.....Many of the amenities that may be nearby will be several blocks away through some decidedly automobile-oriented environments.

There are plans to build more transit-oriented development around MARTA's rail transit stations in coming years, but for the time being, many of the environments around MARTA stations remain largely bereft of truly walkable transit-oriented development.

With that said, Decatur is an area where you should likely also take a very close look for housing as that is one of the very few areas where a truly pedestrian-oriented environment exists immediately near and around a MARTA station at present.

Otherwise, after moving to Atlanta you would be very strongly advised to have a car as a critically important back up to your heavy transit usage as Atlanta's transit network continues to slowly and gradually improve in coming years and decades.

Thanks for your response. Again, I know Atlanta is not D.C. and it's impossible to replicate the density and vibrancy of D.C. in Atlanta. They were built in different eras and offer completely different lifestyles. I do love my current lifestyle here in D.C., but I realize if I do have to move to Atlanta, my lifestyle will change. I'm still trying to process that but I will adjust and make the best of it. I hope any move is only temporary but you never know, maybe I will fall in love with Atlanta. I have realized it's probably best to buy a car while I'm there.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Screw getting a car, get a bike instead and it will extend your reach.

I will probably get a car if I do move to Atlanta. It's very cheap having a car in Atlanta from what I can see. That's probably why most people have one. The main reason people don't have cars in D.C., besides Metro and Capital Bikeshare, is because it's so hard and expensive to get around by car. You have to either pay $20 to park or circle a neighborhood for 30 minutes looking for parking. Also, residential parking in most buildings here is underground and cost anywhere from $200-$300 a month.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Yeah, the no-car thing really limits you, basically to Midtown alone. It's the only neighborhood in Atlanta where it's really feasible to live without a car and have a normal life (I did it for three years).

Midtown definitely will improve in the coming years. There are several thousand apartments under construction, with delivery in the next 24 months, and this will increase foot traffic and the demand for retail massively. The Whole Foods going in at 14th and West Peachtree will provide a huge boost on its own.

This isn't exclusively an Atlanta thing: if you want an urban lifestyle, then DC is the furthest south you can do it in the Eastern US. Atlanta does "urban-lite" pretty well though. But to really enjoy it, just go ahead and buy/lease a car. You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Yeah, the no-car thing really limits you, basically to Midtown alone. It's the only neighborhood in Atlanta where it's really feasible to live without a car and have a normal life (I did it for three years).

Midtown definitely will improve in the coming years. There are several thousand apartments under construction, with delivery in the next 24 months, and this will increase foot traffic and the demand for retail massively. The Whole Foods going in at 14th and West Peachtree will provide a huge boost on its own.

This isn't exclusively an Atlanta thing: if you want an urban lifestyle, then DC is the furthest south you can do it in the Eastern US. Atlanta does "urban-lite" pretty well though. But to really enjoy it, just go ahead and buy/lease a car. You'll be glad you did.

I know they're building a lot in Midtown. I'm sure the new buildings will have retail which should help a lot. Midtown and downtown are similar to Arlington, VA here in D.C. A small urban core running along the MARTA line surrounded by single family homes. It's nothing like living in the city but it will do. I'm sure it will grow on me. Thanks for all your reply's everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta