Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Glad to see the 0.5% MARTA sales tax increase is still on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Glad to see the 0.5% MARTA sales tax increase is still on the table.
Agree that should be the focus. I think not doing the full penny can be a good (granted more symbolic) gesture that the city is not going to charge the maximum tax they can just because they can.

Maybe a 0.25% TSPLOST makes sense to get all the RoW for the Beltline. But the remaining 0.25% could be held back for future projects / another election cycle.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Agree that should be the focus. I think not doing the full penny can be a good (granted more symbolic) gesture that the city is not going to charge the maximum tax they can just because they can.

Maybe a 0.25% TSPLOST makes sense to get all the RoW for the Beltline. But the remaining 0.25% could be held back for future projects / another election cycle.
Forget the BeltLine, let's focus on the projects that will effect the majority of residents, pursue the TSPLOST project lists.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:16 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
The 1.5% total funding level for MARTA will probably end up being permanent. 2057 is a very long way away. They will probably vote to renew it at that far off point, especially if it means a new capital project list.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
Quote:
Reduce the number of stops and implement the ARC stop guide to properly communicate which route and the ending point. I asked this question to a MARTA rep at the last MARTA/TSPLOST meeting and it was under consideration, but they would want the entire system remodeled, not just CoA, and the funds specifically must be spent on CoA projects.
Agreed that it must change for the entire system.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,690,708 times
Quote:
Forget the BeltLine, let's focus on the projects that will effect the majority of residents, pursue the TSPLOST project lists.
Yeah, by the time MARTA gets that far along in the light-rail construction, we can either renew the tax for finishing the BeltLine, or we'll have already started a lot of it via the TAD and other construction funding.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
We definitely need to be careful on putting too much towards the Beltine. I could tell the old folks in the last meeting were resistant to the idea of the Beltline being the focal point. Its wrong, but I got the impression the Beltline was thought of by many as the white people's project. Plus, the investment in citywide projects makes a lot of sense.

I would love to see the full penny, but totally understand the lack of appetite for more taxes. As long as the Transit aspect is left alone, I will be happy.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Reduce the number of stops and implement the ARC stop guide to properly communicate which route and the ending point. I asked this question to a MARTA rep at the last MARTA/TSPLOST meeting and it was under consideration, but they would want the entire system remodeled, not just CoA, and the funds specifically must be spent on CoA projects.

Thanks for bringing it up CQ. I'm glad to hear that it's under consideration, which makes sense, considering MARTA uses the ARC stops in their pictures for standard bus services on the little service explanation sheet.

It also makes sense that MARTA is holding off until they can do a sweeping system update. Given the relatively low cost of such an update, I doubt it will be terribly far off. Perhaps as MARTA continues with the bus service adjustments.

It would be an awful pain in the arse to have to go around and change schedules and such each time there's a bit of tweaking. Not hard or anything, just an extra thing to keep track of.

Quote:

There was a quote in the WABE radio piece about that stuck out to me. It was one of the South Atlanta reps talking about the need for more, possibly heavy rail, in south Atlanta to spur development. I was about to get all upset, but Ashe apparently pointed out that one of the longest (and most costly) projects is the light rail pushing down into south-Atlanta. Not to mention all the other parts of the BeltLine and other light rail projects and ART services and such going in south of I-20.

I've gotten the impression that there are those who only speak for their part of the city without actually looking at the plan. I've heard the demand for services to the south and west parts of the city, and then I look at the map and ask 'What more could be done with the money?!'. Dunno, it's just silly sounding, and it might hurt the vote's chance if that idea isn't fixed before November.

I guess we'll need to wait for the final list to come out, then there's the publicity campaign. It should be okay, but is something to consider.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:54 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
and it might hurt the vote's chance if that idea isn't fixed before November.

I guess we'll need to wait for the final list to come out, then there's the publicity campaign. It should be okay, but is something to consider.
I hope you have some time to put together a map once the project list is approved. I get the feeling it could do more to sell the tax than the official project map will. (in other words) Your maps look better than the ones produced by people paid to design them

Marketing is going to be so key with this tax.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I hope you have some time to put together a map once the project list is approved. I get the feeling it could do more to sell the tax than the official project map will. (in other words) Your maps look better than the ones produced by people paid to design them

Marketing is going to be so key with this tax.
We'll see when the final list comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta