Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 10:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep, I probably am a broken record on this, Gulch.

However, to date no one has articulated a theory for giving the business community a pass, other than the notion that it might slow things down and the business community might say no.

Has anyone ever actually asked the the big businesses and institutions to pitch in?

If so, when were they asked and by whom? Did they refuse to participate? What was their rationale? Was this a public discussion? Why isn't it worth at least as much lobbying and arm twisting as is being applied to the little man?
You'll have a perfect opportunity to ask this question and more at an event this evening at Atlanta History Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:31 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Arjay,

I think you raise some good points, but I'm voting to tax myself so that I can see transit expansion in this city in my lifetime (I'm 31). I'd love to see major buy-in from business leaders, but we can't wait for them to agree to foot the bill. We need progress now. This isn't a perfect way forward with expansion, but it's certainly good enough.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:43 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Good to see the AJC Editorial Board supporting the expansion: Saying ‘Yes’ to the future | AJC

Meta coverage: TSPLOST smackdown: Opposing editorials aim to educate Atlanta voters - Curbed Atlanta

Old 11-01-2016, 11:55 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Arjay,

I think you raise some good points, but I'm voting to tax myself so that I can see transit expansion in this city in my lifetime (I'm 31). I'd love to see major buy-in from business leaders, but we can't wait for them to agree to foot the bill. We need progress now. This isn't a perfect way forward with expansion, but it's certainly good enough.
If a 40 year transit tax increase on individuals becomes ensconced in law, we essentially remove any leverage to get the business community to participate in funding.

Given that the use of our current system is vastly below capacity, it seems like it would be worth spending a little more time to get the long range plan right.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Im voting for it because I dont think traffic is going to magically dissappear in the future. I mean it could but I dont think it will happen. ..plus i plan on dying in Atlanta. When I get old instead of begging people for a ride when im too old to drive I can just use public transportation

Old 11-01-2016, 12:06 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
If a 40 year transit tax increase on individuals becomes ensconced in law, we essentially remove any leverage to get the business community to participate in funding.

Given that the use of our current system is vastly below capacity, it seems like it would be worth spending a little more time to get the long range plan right.
So you will be asking your questions at tonight's event at Atlanta History Center?

Old 11-01-2016, 12:11 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So you will be asking your questions at tonight's event at Atlanta History Center?
I will if I can attend, cq. If not I'll be in touch with these folks individually.

Hopefully plenty of good transit advocates will turn out to seek some answers to these important questions. We really need to get this right.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No. He just gonna keep repeating the same stuff online

Old 11-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I will if I can attend, cq. If not I'll be in touch with these folks individually.

Hopefully plenty of good transit advocates will turn out to seek some answers to these important questions. We really need to get this right.
Are you going? Yes or No?

Old 11-01-2016, 12:24 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Saw "Benita Dodd" and immediately knew her argument would be a hot mess. She's a huge joke and doesn't even live in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta