Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Since stores cannot charge admission for the privilege of looking at and seeing a product in-person, the only differentiator available to them is premium service offered only to customers that purchase products directly from them.
Isn't that sort of what Sam's Club and Costco do?

Quote:
I don't think there is anything these stores sell that provide a context for premium service for which any significant number of customers is willing to pay. These stores "survive" solely on the basis of the existence of Luddites. When they dwindle, by all rights, such stores should no longer exist, except, perhaps, sponsored by manufacturers who feel that it is a competitive advantage for them to be present in B&M retail outlets, even if the sale comes through online. Effectively, the cost of B&M retail, if it is to exist, must become a cost-of-doing-business borne by manufacturers of consumer goods, and passed along to all customers, B&M and online, alike.
At present B&M wins if I have an immediate need for something. Amazon has a wider selection and is pretty good with hard to find items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,354,010 times
Quote:
I have never bought clothes or shoes at a big box store.
I rarely buy them online. When I do I am almost always disappointed, and half the clothes I buy I return because either they don't fit or they don't look good in person. I don't think that makes me a luddite.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:37 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
I am okay with big boxes. They are generally not pretty and they have taken a toll on smaller mom & pop stores, but that's the way retail has evolved.

I do believe big box can be done in better ways. Put the parking underneath or on the roof -- there's no need whatsoever to build huge surface lots. Also make the doors accessible to pedestrians, and make the interior service departments like banks, pharmacies and dining areas like storefronts that open to the sidewalk. Include some pocket parks and public spaces here and there. Etc., etc.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:55 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,893,052 times
I'll buy t-shirts online. Those sizes are very consistent. Everything else, I have to try on.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:04 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,388,051 times
When Amazon gets same day delivery going everywhere it's going to be game over. Walmart is already trying to implement 2 day shipping to keep pace with them.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,811,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
When Amazon gets same day delivery going everywhere it's going to be game over. Walmart is already trying to implement 2 day shipping to keep pace with them.
And what kind of life is that? Just sitting at home behind a computer screen all day? Ordering stuff online? Waiting for the Amazon man to come calling?

There is something to be said for going to a bricks and mortar store and actually engaging other human beings in one-on-one commerce. I value good costumer service. I appreciate a smile, a friendly greeting, a sincere "have a nice day!" It's troublesome to me that so many people of a younger generation are so content to live their lives via electronic devices ... And miss out on the very things that make living so wonderful in the first place.

Not to mention ... going to a store and buying a pair of shoes means more people EMPLOYED. And I'd never, ever buy a pair of shoes without trying them on first!

Old 05-14-2016, 03:52 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,661,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Isn't that sort of what Sam's Club and Costco do?
Our Sam's Club doesn't provide a comfortable way to "make sure it fits the bill". Regardless, I think warehouse clubs will survive. I was replying to DawgPark's comment, which was talking about Service Merchandise, and Circuit City, and referring to that kind of merchandise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
At present B&M wins if I have an immediate need for something. Amazon has a wider selection and is pretty good with hard to find items.
I can almost always get something I need "immediately" faster from Amazon than from B&M (again, in the context of my reply to DawgPark's comment). I simply cannot get out to Best Buy anytime I want, but I can order something from Amazon on Thursday night and have it dropped off on my stoop before I get home from church on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I rarely buy them online. When I do I am almost always disappointed, and half the clothes I buy I return because either they don't fit or they don't look good in person. I don't think that makes me a luddite.
Amazon has excellent buy-try-return policies, more convenient than Macy's or Belk's. Beyond that, once I've found something that fits me well, I can just order replacements online without worry.

Quote:
When Amazon gets same day delivery going everywhere it's going to be game over.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And what kind of life is that?
A less expensive life. And that's what drives the American consumer, ten to one.

Quote:
There is something to be said for going to a bricks and mortar store and actually engaging other human beings in one-on-one commerce.
"Engaging" is more costly than not. And the typical American consumer is not willing to pay the extra costs associated with "engaging". If you offer "engaging" and have no way to force customers to make their purchase from you, then the typical American consumer will take advantage of your "engaging" and then whip out their smartphone and make their purchase from the retailer of that item they want to buy with some online retailer who doesn't have to fold the cost of "engaging" into their pricing.

Quote:
I value good costumer service.
The typical American consumer values low prices. Beyond that, Amazon actually has very good customer service in terms of that which the typical American cares most about, pricing and returns policies, for items purchased directly from Amazon.

Quote:
Not to mention ... going to a store and buying a pair of shoes means more people EMPLOYED.
The typical American consumer cares mostly about their own jobs, and how they can stretch their paycheck to cover more of the things they want to purchase.

Not saying any of this is "good". Just saying that this is the way it is.

Last edited by bUU; 05-14-2016 at 04:02 AM..

Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 708,622 times
Shopping habits do shape the retail environment and some big box stores will suffer. Walmart, target, lowes, homedepot, Costco, and SAMs will always exist bc they fill a niche. Lower middle class and poor are NOT going to shop online bc they either don't have Internet, credit cards, or money to pay for shipping. The will continue to buy everything they need from Walmart.

Home improvement stores will always be successful bc their products are more difficult to purchase online or from specially retailers. plus much of what consumers buy are needed that day...

I don't see a future for Best Buy and other electronic retailers as their target customers are affluent and savvy enough to purchase those products online.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:04 AM

10,736 posts, read 13,291,570 times
Quote:

I have never bought clothes or shoes at a big box store.
You've been missing out on some pretty good deals!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 AM

4,411 posts, read 3,432,166 times
Quote:
That's a horrible thing for the environment and traffic. Having so many delivery couriers going every which way to deliver that many more individual packages to homes and businesses. By comparison, I, and I assume many people, typically combine errands and trips so that I'm not making one trip to pick up one thing, or I pick up something on the way home from a meeting, etc.

In fact the consolidation of trips was a big thing drilled into us in "green" messaging of the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta