Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 PM
 
1,816 posts, read 1,137,980 times
Reputation: 1862

Advertisements

All things being equal which of these two areas will do better over the next 10 to 15 years in terms of housing appreciation, good governance, schools, and overall quality of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2016, 08:47 PM
 
1,145 posts, read 4,183,566 times
Reputation: 966
Personally, I don't see any difference over that time frame. Both will be good options. There is a lot of available land in those areas so I wouldn't expect above average house appreciation.

Just go with the house you like better/price range/close to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 04:50 PM
 
22 posts, read 53,650 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
All things being equal which of these two areas will do better over the next 10 to 15 years in terms of housing appreciation, good governance, schools, and overall quality of life?
Cumming/Forsyth. Gwinnett real estate has been steadily dropping over the years, and will continue to. While if you look just in the last 2 years lower Forsyth housing has skyrocketed in price. Take Lawrenceville for example.
10 years ago people were buying $350,000 homes in Lawrencevillle. Those same homes today are selling for $300,000.
Just 5 years ago the majority of the homes in south Forsyth were being sold for around $170,000. Those same homes are now listed on the market for $330,000.
Suwanee is at that "peak" phase where decent sized brick homes are in the $300-$400k range. It's only a matter of time before it turns in to another low income high crime area like Lawrenceville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 07:07 PM
 
1,816 posts, read 1,137,980 times
Reputation: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG6 View Post
Cumming/Forsyth. Gwinnett real estate has been steadily dropping over the years, and will continue to. While if you look just in the last 2 years lower Forsyth housing has skyrocketed in price. Take Lawrenceville for example.
10 years ago people were buying $350,000 homes in Lawrencevillle. Those same homes today are selling for $300,000.
Just 5 years ago the majority of the homes in south Forsyth were being sold for around $170,000. Those same homes are now listed on the market for $330,000.
Suwanee is at that "peak" phase where decent sized brick homes are in the $300-$400k range. It's only a matter of time before it turns in to another low income high crime area like Lawrenceville.
Suwanee/Gwinnett and Suwanee/Forsyth real estate value have been increasing not decreasing over the past several years. Think you are way off base on your prediction going forward. No way Suwanee will be low income high crime anytime soon.

Both Suwanee Gwinnett and Forsyth, have outstanding school districts and high income folks living in $500,000 to $1,000,000 homes. That won't change anytime soon.

Cumming benefits from "white flight" but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 07:36 PM
 
22 posts, read 53,650 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Suwanee/Gwinnett and Suwanee/Forsyth real estate value have been increasing not decreasing over the past several years. Think you are way off base on your prediction going forward. No way Suwanee will be low income high crime anytime soon.

Both Suwanee Gwinnett and Forsyth, have outstanding school districts and high income folks living in $500,000 to $1,000,000 homes. That won't change anytime soon.

Cumming benefits from "white flight" but that's about it.
What is "white flight"? Ask anyone in real estate about the trend in Gwinnett, or do your own research. Everyone who bought a house in Cumming back in 2005 knows that their home is now worth double what it was back then. Those who purchased homes in Lawrenceville back in 2005 are pretty upset right now because after all the taxes and insurance payments, their home is worth the same or less than it was back then. The trend is spreading eastward as more low income folks move towards the Suwanee and Duluth Areas.

Last edited by GregG6; 05-15-2016 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 PM
 
Location: In your feelings
2,197 posts, read 2,240,355 times
Reputation: 2180
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG6 View Post
What is "white flight"? Ask anyone in real estate
What is "white flight?" Ask anyone in real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 11:42 PM
 
22 posts, read 53,650 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
What is "white flight?" Ask anyone in real estate.
Still wrong because Cumming has a fast growing Black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM
 
1,816 posts, read 1,137,980 times
Reputation: 1862
[quote=GregG6;44073027]What is "white flight"? Ask anyone in real estate about the trend in Gwinnett, or do your own research. Everyone who bought a house in Cumming back in 2005 knows that their home is now worth double what it was back then. Those who purchased homes in Lawrenceville back in 2005 are pretty upset right now because after all the taxes and insurance payments, their home is worth the same or less than it was back then. The trend is spreading eastward as more low income folks move towards the Suwanee and Duluth Areas.[/Q

White flight is a well documented term describing the propensity for whites to flee areas when folks that don't look like them start moving into their communities. I am surprised that someone as knowledgeable, on real estate, as you purport to be hasn't heard the term before.

Cumming appears to have done well but i think the "doubling" that you are talking about is a stretch and count me as skeptical on that one. Some areas of Lawrenceville have not done well but other areas (30043) have done very well and will continue to do so, as the Collins Hill cluster is strong and homes over $500,000 are being built near the Sugarloaf Mills area.

In terms of Suwanee/Duluth and your predictions you are just flat wrong. Suwanee is not going down hill anytime soon and Duluth especially the 30097 area, is and will continue to be an attractive place to live. There is a major mixed use project that is underway at the intersection of Sugarloaf Parkway and PIB, that is anchored by a Sprouts and a high end apartment complex. Last time I checked Sprouts doesn't venture into areas that have weak income demographics and a declining future.

Also, ever heard of Sugarloaf Country Club (Duluth) and the River Club (Suwanee)? Both are very high end communities that rival anything in Cumming and certainly are not consistent with the eastward spread of all these low income types you are referring to.

As a matter of fact (City Data) the median income for Cumming is $40,000 vs $58,000 for Duluth and wait for it - $78,000 for Suwanee.

So maybe Cumming is where the low incomes folks are headed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 01:09 PM
 
22 posts, read 53,650 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post

White flight is a well documented term describing the propensity for whites to flee areas when folks that don't look like them start moving into their communities.

Well, you're a racist if you think that way. Firstly, your city-data "data" is not from 2016. Secondly, right now real estate is at a peak in Suwanee, so yes you're purchasing a house in a "high-end" area for now. 5 years from now it will be a low income/high crime area just like Lawrenceville and housing values will drop slightly, while places in Cumming increase exponentially.


Real Estate Market Trends for Cumming, GA - Trulia

Real Estate Market Trends for Suwanee, GA 30024 - Trulia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 PM
 
1,816 posts, read 1,137,980 times
Reputation: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG6 View Post
Well, you're a racist if you think that way. Firstly, your city-data "data" is not from 2016. Secondly, right now real estate is at a peak in Suwanee, so yes you're purchasing a house in a "high-end" area for now. 5 years from now it will be a low income/high crime area just like Lawrenceville and housing values will drop slightly, while places in Cumming increase exponentially.


Real Estate Market Trends for Cumming, GA - Trulia

Real Estate Market Trends for Suwanee, GA 30024 - Trulia
So I'm a racist because I point out that the term white flight, which apparently you had never heard of, is a well known phrase, based on the well known fact, that whites flee areas when they feel blacks and or other, groups that don't look like them are coming. Really! Perhaps as Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men movie) said you can't handle the truth!


I did use 2013 city data info because that was the most recent on the site but Suwanee median household income is now(based on Trulia) $108,000, Duluth is $73,000 and wait for it Cumming is $82,000. Folks in Suwannee are also more highly educated with 65% being college educated vs 49% for you "hood" in Cumming.

I'll take my chances in Suwanee, with its great quality of life and great schools - all rated 10, for both the short and long term and if your happy in Cumming then all the best!

Really need to drop the name calling though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top