Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:27 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Arthur Blank is getting involved in a big way.

Quote:
The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation has committed about $7 million of the $15 million it has pledged to invest in improvements in the communities on Atlanta’s Westside near the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

But Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said the commitment to improve the Westside is just getting started.

On May 13, hundreds of associates from Blank’s multiple business and philanthropic entities descended on the Westside to work on seven different projects — including refreshing six existing Habitat for Humanity-Atlanta homes. The effort — called Brush with Kindness — mainly involved repainting people’s homes.

“We have more than 300 of our associates involved in seven different projects,” Blank said while touring the different sites. “It is an opportunity for our associates to roll up their sleeves. We are committed to the Westside. Today we are working on these houses. But this is not a one-day project for us. This is 365 days a year.”

More....Arthur Blank and his team roll up their sleeves to help Atlanta’s Westside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Rents around MB Stadium increasing nearly double digits
Quote:
If these figures seem jaw-dropping, consider the rate increases in the seven-month period between December 2015 and July. Rental rates in the three neighborhoods increased by an amount that, when annualized, would range from 16 percent to 27 percent, Immergluck determined. Here are the numbers for the seven-month period:
English Avenue – up almost 14 percent;
Vine City – up 9 percent;
Washington Park – up almost 10 percent.
Want to rent a home near Falcons stadium? Prices up 27 percent on annualized basis, report shows - SaportaReport

Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I own property in the area and my property management company has been trying to get us to raise the rent for the past few years. We have held off until this year. One of our long time tenant is planning on moving at the end of the lease in 2017 and we will raise rent by about $200-$300 a month at that time for the next tenant. Mostly because the house needs some upgrades.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I own property in the area and my property management company has been trying to get us to raise the rent for the past few years. We have held off until this year. One of our long time tenant is planning on moving at the end of the lease in 2017 and we will raise rent by about $200-$300 a month at that time for the next tenant. Mostly because the house needs some upgrades.
Are you noticing a difference around the neighborhood of late? I really hope all this money and attention actual result in some sort of lasting good for the residents and the area.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:10 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
I know this post is several months old but that is a beautiful park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Vine City Park getting upgrade that debuts tomorrow.
Spruced-Up Vine City Park Ribbon-Cutting is Tomorrow - Curbed Atlanta

Old 09-23-2016, 12:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Are you noticing a difference around the neighborhood of late? I really hope all this money and attention actual result in some sort of lasting good for the residents and the area.
The area my house is located at in English Avenue really was never all that bad of block in particular. But I have noticed that there has been an increase in cleanliness. It looks better on the street. There is an abandoned house next to mine that was SEVERELY overgrown in the backyard. We had been cutting the grass in the front yard ourselves but the back is gated and the weeds were so high they were growing over and pulling down our wood fence (ivy and other climbing vines). Last time we checked on the property the city had gotten the owner of the property to clean out the backyard. I was shocked !

There has been some improvement with other abandoned homes now as well. I also know that Blank helped to paint some of the Habitat homes in the neighborhood. People don't realize there are quite a few Habitat homes in English Avenue in particular, our neighbor's home was built by Habitat for Humanity. But those homes were already pretty decent looking due to having owner/occupants living in them, but improvement is improvement.

I also noticed they tore down some of the burned out homes/apartment buildings in the neighborhood last time I visited. So there are little things, but not a whole lot of changes.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:21 PM

Well, those sound like some good signs overall. Here's hoping the attention from the city and NGOs does not fade after the excitement of the new stadium wears off. Thanks for the insight, as always

Old 09-24-2016, 03:31 PM

643 posts, read 571,210 times
That area is disgusting.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Glad to see foundations help to keep fire/police in the city and focus on areas that can benefit from additional eyes on the streets.
Quote:
The homes were constructed as part of the Secure Neighborhood effort by the Atlanta Police Foundation. With their neighbors, the new residents will help create a system of community policing in Vine City. Project leaders say the officers will serve as community liaisons, bringing their patrol cars home, attending neighborhood meetings, and becoming allies for positive growth on the Westside.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/23...w-homes-police

Old 11-23-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
That area is disgusting.
MikecorndogHonchoATroll really deserves the MVC (Most Valuable Commenter) award for this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta