Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:01 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So you agree your opinion in the previous post was not based on any facts?
You are the arbiter of snark and conjecture, yet now you want to predicate a City-Data topic on facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 12:19 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I didn't say anything about preferences. I am talking about access and usage. If most of us do not live in dense cities with mass transit, the majority of people don't have access. How are you going to fault people for a choice they cannot make?

Quote:
Most elder citizens in our country do not have access to mass transit, and I bet many who do decide not to take it anyway.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Exactly. They make a decision. I didn't preface it with "Because they don't prefer any transit, they decide to ..." I just said they decide. The distinction is pretty clear.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:30 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
But without adequate transit options, they will be forced to drive (which some cannot handle well) or become slaves to the their homes and depend/burden their family.
Most seniors buzz around in their own communities with no problems. I know plenty of people in their mid to late 80s who do just fine. Want to see somebody get aggravated? Try taking away their car keys.

Mass transit just isn't a good option for many. At that age you don't want to schlep it half a mile or more to the bus stop in the rain or in the summer heat, and then stand around waiting for no telling how long. Nor do you want to battle the multiple escalators and concourses at a train station. And you certainly don't want to make the reverse trip hauling bags of groceries or other bulky items.

If you become seriously infirm -- and that happens to young people, too -- then yes, you will likely stay home a lot more and have to rely on others. But how does mass transit fix that?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Exactly. They make a decision. I didn't preface it with "Because they don't prefer any transit, they decide to ..." I just said they decide. The distinction is pretty clear.
The distinction is not clear to me. Why would someone decide not to do something that they prefer and have available to them?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Most seniors buzz around in their own communities with no problems. I know plenty of people in their mid to late 80s who do just fine. Want to see somebody get aggravated? Try taking away their car keys.

Mass transit just isn't a good option for many. At that age you don't want to schlep it half a mile or more to the bus stop in the rain or in the summer heat, and then stand around waiting for no telling how long. Nor do you want to battle the multiple escalators and concourses at a train station. And you certainly don't want to make the reverse trip hauling bags of groceries or other bulky items.

If you become seriously infirm -- and that happens to young people, too -- then yes, you will likely stay home a lot more and have to rely on others. But how does mass transit fix that?
CQHolt dreams of a world where we all live on top of each other (in gentrified communities that unintentionally got rid of all the black people) but yet still have so little sense of community that our elders can't get a relative, loved one, friend or caregiver to run an errand or give them a ride. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The distinction is not clear to me. Why would someone decide not to do something that they prefer and have available to them?
You don't have children, do you? Parents decide to do and not do things they would rather not do - or do - all the time - daily even.

Mostly, people often make decisions without having an inner dialogue about preferences, likes and dislikes. Instead, they make a decision. That said, older folks deciding not to take transit could be based on habit, routine, convenience or other factors without them doing an A/B analysis about "preferences" in their minds beforehand.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM

Ok then I will update my statement: "I don't think there is anything to indicate people in the US decide to take transit less than elsewhere in the world, they just don't have good access to it."

Old 05-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Ok then I will update my statement: "I don't think there is anything to indicate people in the US decide to take transit less than elsewhere in the world, they just don't have good access to it."

I completely agree with your revised statement. 😄

Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

If we located these types of developments around reliable transit lines or had better transit coverage, then they would not need to 'schlep' 1/2 mile.
There is a time when everyone has to stop driving, because of age or disability.
Mass transit fixes that by allowing those with disabilities the ability to navigate the city on their own, without hiring a caretaker or inconveniencing their family. How hard is it to understand that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta