Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
When is Cobb County gonna repaved Windy Hill Road?
It looks like at least part of it is shown in the 2016 SPLOST Project List.

http://cobbcounty.org/images/documen...t_07_28_14.pdf

See page 21:

Windy Hill Road (Joint
project with Smyrna)
Boulevard concept that includes
widening, intersection and
pedestrian improvements

From South Cobb Drive
To Atlanta Road
$18,000,000

SPLOST information is here:

http://cobbcounty.org/index.php?opti...406&Itemid=599

I think this project was covered on C-D here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...pt-splost.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 PM

994 posts, read 1,540,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

No need to urbanize Dallas Hwy. Urbanization (development and improved and new transit to support it), should be occurring in Marietta proper, Smyrna proper, Cumberland, Town Center, Vinings, Mableton, the Atlanta Rd corridor, Powers Ferry area, and maybe a bit in East Cobb along Roswell Rd.
You've named quite a large area of Cobb ripe for urbanization, despite how behind you may feel the rest of the county is.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
You've named quite a large area of Cobb ripe for urbanization, despite how behind you may feel the rest of the county is.
It's interesting that most of the areas in his list define the areas of Cobb I tend to frequent.

I'm sure that, by itself, colors my view of the county. The E/W Connector, Atlanta Road, Cumberland Blvd, and Cobb Parkway are my main travel corridors.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Here's the latest master plan for Kennesaw, a place with no vision. LOL.

http://www.kennesaw-ga.gov/wp-conten...5-LCI-Plan.pdf

Old 05-17-2016, 05:47 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's interesting that most of the areas in his list define the areas of Cobb I tend to frequent.

I'm sure that, by itself, colors my view of the county. The E/W Connector, Atlanta Road, Cumberland Blvd, and Cobb Parkway are my main travel corridors.
Much the same as me, RC. Nowadays I spend the vast bulk of my time in and around the Square, but I know Atlanta Road, both Cumberlands and Paces Ferry like the back of my hand.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:19 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It looks like at least part of it is shown in the 2016 SPLOST Project List.

http://cobbcounty.org/images/documen...t_07_28_14.pdf

See page 21:

Windy Hill Road (Joint
project with Smyrna)
Boulevard concept that includes
widening, intersection and
pedestrian improvements

From South Cobb Drive
To Atlanta Road
$18,000,000

SPLOST information is here:

Project Updates

I think this project was covered on C-D here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...pt-splost.html
Thanks!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I just said West Cobb is boring, which, it is. The people that live out there, like that. That's fine with me. Maybe "quiet" is the more tactful word.

And I'm actually just suggesting that a small fraction of the county should become more urban. Not the vast swaths of the low-density nice SFH subdivisions (and supporting commercial strips), that make up at least half the county area. Leave all that be. As those neighborhoods and homes continue to age over the decades and become even more established, while Atlanta grows, they will go up in value and prestige even more.

But inner Cobb near 285, plus right along the major arterial corridors like Atlanta Rd and Roswell Rd, plus in the city proper of Marietta, these are the kind of areas where you could keep increasing the density, because they have that character already, and because they may likely eventually see some meaningful transit there.

I really like Cobb County. And my long-term planning vision of it, would have: 1) Cumberland/Vinings as a major Atlanta business district, with tons of dense high-rises lining the hills along the river, and with rail transit to Midtown (and along the perimeter). 2) Marietta as a hip county seat urban area, youth-oriented, walk-able, bike-able, good bus transit, great restaurant scene, mid-rise urban style apartments everywhere. So something like Decatur but larger, more people, more stuff to do, better grid system. Also directly connected to Atlanta by commuter rail. Smyrna would be a smaller version of that, with more offices and also kinda seamlessly blended into Cumberland and Vinings.

South Cobb would be a hip and affordable suburb area, kind of an extension of the West Side of Atlanta. With that whole vibe of old and rusted and rustic industrial, re-purposed into residential and offices kind of thing.

Most of East and West and North Cobb would be mostly unchanged, still family and good schools oriented, but would become more of an older, classic, established communities. East Cobb is starting to get that way.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:51 PM

We were out driving in Powder Springs over the wweekend, and I was really taken by the large swaths of land and very nice homes on them not in subdivisions. It felt so tranquil and peaceful, and I thought how amazing it is that people can have access to practically any mode of environment they desire in Cobb County. I was also in Smyrna and Cumberland, too, and thought the same. I am a fan of historic Marietta because I really dig the square and old houses. I like Kennesaw because it is a great fit for parents, and in just the time I've been here, have witnessed change. It is full of conveniences and amenities, with good schools and upward home values/desirability. I feel good about our investment. But I might get an old Marietta Square home one day.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I just said West Cobb is boring, which, it is. The people that live out there, like that. That's fine with me. Maybe "quiet" is the more tactful word.

And I'm actually just suggesting that a small fraction of the county should become more urban. Not the vast swaths of the low-density nice SFH subdivisions (and supporting commercial strips), that make up at least half the county area. Leave all that be. As those neighborhoods and homes continue to age over the decades and become even more established, while Atlanta grows, they will go up in value and prestige even more.

But inner Cobb near 285, plus right along the major arterial corridors like Atlanta Rd and Roswell Rd, plus in the city proper of Marietta, these are the kind of areas where you could keep increasing the density, because they have that character already, and because they may likely eventually see some meaningful transit there.

I really like Cobb County. And my long-term planning vision of it, would have: 1) Cumberland/Vinings as a major Atlanta business district, with tons of dense high-rises lining the hills along the river, and with rail transit to Midtown (and along the perimeter). 2) Marietta as a hip county seat urban area, youth-oriented, walk-able, bike-able, good bus transit, great restaurant scene, mid-rise urban style apartments everywhere. So something like Decatur but larger, more people, more stuff to do, better grid system. Also directly connected to Atlanta by commuter rail. Smyrna would be a smaller version of that, with more offices and also kinda seamlessly blended into Cumberland and Vinings.

South Cobb would be a hip and affordable suburb area, kind of an extension of the West Side of Atlanta. With that whole vibe of old and rusted and rustic industrial, re-purposed into residential and offices kind of thing.

Most of East and West and North Cobb would be mostly unchanged, still family and good schools oriented, but would become more of an older, classic, established communities. East Cobb is starting to get that way.
Good vision, primaltech. We should both run for office out here.

Fortunately, much of what you envision is already in place, though perhaps not to the degree you'd like. Rail connectivity is the obvious big missing piece, but otherwise I think the area is very much on the right track.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Good vision, primaltech. We should both run for office out here.

Fortunately, much of what you envision is already in place, though perhaps not to the degree you'd like. Rail connectivity is the obvious big missing piece, but otherwise I think the area is very much on the right track.
Absolutely it is making progress in that direction. And thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta