Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:21 AM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,628,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I am not a die-hard UGA fan, but I can acknowledge that they still bring over 92K inside of the stadium and countless others outside of it. I think the 316 construction actually more to do with the areas that it runs through on the way to Athens than with football traffic.
And connected UGA better with the Atlanta area is a good thing for job creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,695,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I am not a die-hard UGA fan, but I can acknowledge that they still bring over 92K inside of the stadium and countless others outside of it. I think the 316 construction actually more to do with the areas that it runs through on the way to Athens than with football traffic.
An intercity train between Atlanta-Lawrenceville-Athens would do more to ease congestion and DUIs than widening or upgrading to freeway.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
For seven games per year? Absolutely not.
The state's signature university city and the state capital should have been connected via a limited access freeway years ago, football games or not.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,067,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The state's signature university city and the state capital should have been connected via a limited access freeway years ago, football games or not.
I'm not against the conversion of 316 to a freeway (which is a good idea), but the widening of the corridor.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:03 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,656,536 times
Moderator cut: .

Anyway. I suppose I agree with the notion that the highway should be limited access, but widening will only make things worse. Latent Demand and all that.

Commuter / regional rail would at least give a legitimate option to those who enjoy themselves a bit too much during these games. Stuffing a bunch of drunken football fans into a train seems like it might get a bit loud, but at least they're not driving.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 05-20-2016 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: quoted post has been deleted

Old 05-18-2016, 05:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

Anyway. I suppose I agree with the notion that the highway should be limited access, but widening will only make things worse. Latent Demand and all that.

Commuter / regional rail would at least give a legitimate option to those who enjoy themselves a bit too much during these games. Stuffing a bunch of drunken football fans into a train seems like it might get a bit loud, but at least they're not driving.

I'm sure there is enough right of way to go from 4 lanes to 6 without widening the corridor. We are at a day and age that all freeways should be 6 lanes for safety reasons before we worry about capacity. The area already is populated enough to need the capacity anyway.

While they are at it, US 78 should be upgraded to limited access as well, giving two routes between the metro areas. And none of this needs to be at the expense of commuter rail. Cities with commuter rail still have this kind of freeway footprint coexisting side by side. Think Chicago or NYC....

Old 05-18-2016, 05:41 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,881,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I'm sure there is enough right of way to go from 4 lanes to 6 without widening the corridor. We are at a day and age that all freeways should be 6 lanes for safety reasons before we worry about capacity. The area already is populated enough to need the capacity anyway.
Fully agree. 3 lanes is quickly becoming a new standard even in rural areas simply due to traffic concerns and it is so much safer having trucks restricted to 2 lanes with a true passing lane. Calling the left lane a passing lane is a joke on most roads.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 AM

561 posts, read 774,831 times
Agreed. 316 should be a 6 lane road. At minimum it should be 6 lanes (hell, maybe even 8 if you decide to add HOV or HOT) between SR20 and I-85, and then also when it gets close to Athens.

It is an incredibly frustrating experience riding 316's current limited access portions today as it is. The morning rush backs up horribly due to insufficient capacity.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:13 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,997,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi
2023: Oconee Connector interchange
Oconee Connector would be converted to an overpass. Virgil Langford Road can easily serve as exit/entry points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi
2024: GA 10 Loop/Epps Bridge Parkway and Harbins Road interchanges
The northeast corner of the interchange is set aside for its eventual rebuild. I would expect flyovers for (1) Georgia State Route 10 Loop inner loop to United States routes 29 southbound and 78 westbound, and (2) United States routes 29 northbound and 78 eastbound to Georgia State Route 10 Loop inner loop.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,067,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Oconee Connector would be converted to an overpass. Virgil Langford Road can easily serve as exit/entry points.
Most of the land to build an interchange @ Oconee is already owned by GDOT. Virgil Langford is getting the overpass treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta