Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:28 PM

88 posts, read 192,697 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a home and was wondering which high school has a better reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
Both are really good schools, but I'd say Dunwoody is considered good all-around while Chamblee's main draw is the magnet program (full disclosure: I'm a CCHS graduate).

- skbl17

Old 05-18-2016, 05:12 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Grew up in North DeKalb. Chamblee HS to me. (I am a Lakeside HS graduate, which I also like to think has a decent reputation)

Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
How old is your child? A quick glance at your posting history makes me think you are young. Let me know if you I am wrong.

If your child is not in the magnet program at Chamblee, the experience is different and may be less positive. My friends whose kids are there now tell me that it is three schools in one -- the magnet program, the traditional program and the Hispanic kids. That is the impression their kids have (all in the magnet program).

North DeKalb high schools are going through a period of transistion and there may be seismic shifts in things like attendance zones, magnet programs, etc. So unless your child is getting ready to start high school now or in the next year or two, the question isn't particularly relevant.

Unlike some areas, close-in metro Atlanta real estate is not driven by high school attendance zone as much as elementary school zone. (Dumb yes, reality yes) And overall, Dunwoody has more elementary schools that are considered stronger than the Chamblee attendance zone.

For the most part, I find the housing stock different in both communities. There are a few overlaps, but significant differences as well. Lakeside is a similar choice, but again the housing stock (and prices) are different than C and D.

What are you looking for in terms of housing? Price range?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
I live adjacent to both clusters and know a lot of families in both (I do not have children.) I hear more positive comments about Chamblee HS (from both magnet and non-magnet families) than I do about Dunwoody HS.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
I have little doubt that they are both excellent schools and could provide the same quality of education.

With all those things being equal, I'd go with Dunwoody if only for name
value. If after graduation, your child atteInds a university in then chooses to never set foot here again then fine. As a back-up plan, Chamblee would be my second choice.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM

88 posts, read 192,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
How old is your child? A quick glance at your posting history makes me think you are young. Let me know if you I am wrong.

If your child is not in the magnet program at Chamblee, the experience is different and may be less positive. My friends whose kids are there now tell me that it is three schools in one -- the magnet program, the traditional program and the Hispanic kids. That is the impression their kids have (all in the magnet program).

North DeKalb high schools are going through a period of transistion and there may be seismic shifts in things like attendance zones, magnet programs, etc. So unless your child is getting ready to start high school now or in the next year or two, the question isn't particularly relevant.

Unlike some areas, close-in metro Atlanta real estate is not driven by high school attendance zone as much as elementary school zone. (Dumb yes, reality yes) And overall, Dunwoody has more elementary schools that are considered stronger than the Chamblee attendance zone.

For the most part, I find the housing stock different in both communities. There are a few overlaps, but significant differences as well. Lakeside is a similar choice, but again the housing stock (and prices) are different than C and D.

What are you looking for in terms of housing? Price range?
Actually I don't even have kids yet, but we're thinking long term and I would rather not buy a starter home and have to move to upgrade, so we're thinking super long term here.

Our price range is probably right around $400k. It's actually been harder than we thought to find a place in our budget. Atlanta real estate is ridic right now.

Thanks for the input, any other guidance would be welcome.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:28 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdumaU View Post
Actually I don't even have kids yet, but we're thinking long term and I would rather not buy a starter home and have to move to upgrade, so we're thinking super long term here.

Our price range is probably right around $400k. It's actually been harder than we thought to find a place in our budget. Atlanta real estate is ridic right now.

Thanks for the input, any other guidance would be welcome.
Your price range makes it tough in those two areas, but you should be able to find something. Forgetting (for a minute) how fast things are selling, have you looked at the housing stock in your price range, in those two districts, and decided you are satisfied with those choices?

One caveat though -- Hightower Elementary, while it performs well for its population, feeds into DHS but is very different than the rest of the schools in the DHS cluster. It has a large immigrant population, with some years more than 75 percent of students coming from homes where English is not the first language.

So much will change before your hypothetical child reaches high school that you ought to focus on finding a neighborhood you like first and an elementary school second.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:17 AM

26 posts, read 26,623 times
Agree with most of the posters, Chamblee and Dunwoody are very similar.
From a real estate perspective value is more closely tied to Elementary Schools. By far and away the most popular is Montgomery E.S which falls in Chamblee & Brookhaven hoods. 400K might get you a reasonably nice renovated ranch or an older townhome.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf2 View Post
Agree with most of the posters, Chamblee and Dunwoody are very similar.
From a real estate perspective value is more closely tied to Elementary Schools. By far and away the most popular is Montgomery E.S which falls in Chamblee & Brookhaven hoods. 400K might get you a reasonably nice renovated ranch or an older townhome.
I wouldn't say that and I just moved from Montgomery to Ashford Park.

While the tear down craze is around Murphy Candler/West Nancy Creek corridor, Ashford Park's real estate is by far the most expensive. That said, based on scores n such I'd say Austin or Vanderlyn are the best elementary schools feeding Peachtree. Montgomery is a better school than Ashford Park, but the real estate doesn't reflect that.

I will say that the new homes over in Montgomery go for similar price per foot, but there just isn't as many of them. Too many tweener houses in Montgomery where the values are higher than land....like our house. We had a 3/2/1 over there and its worth $475k or so. Whereas Ashford Park is well over halfway turned over to mcmansions because of the smaller homes not being worth more than land value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: