Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 14,169 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family is looking to move to Atlanta in the next few months. I'm a native Atlantan, but have been away for more than a dozen years, and this time I'll be looking for a home for my family: me, my husband, a 6 year old daughter, and a dog. Kind of a different situation than when I left as a single, young woman.

We were originally looking at co-housing (East Lake Commons) but it appears nothing is available there right now. Two things that really appeal to me about East Lake Commons are the strong sense of community and the fact that my daughter would be free to play around the "neighborhood" with the other kids.

So, we are looking for neighborhoods/communities (or even streets!) that are fairly close-knit and that have children who actually play together outside.

Other things we're considering:
- Not sure if we want to rent or buy right off.
- We'd prefer to be ITP on the east side of town - think Decatur-ish and surroundings.
- My husband is courting a job SE of Atlanta, and if he takes it, easy access to I-20 would be important.
- We homeschool, so area schools are not as important to us.
- It would be ideal for us to live in an area where we could walk to stores, restaurants, etc.
- Would like to spend <$1600/mo on housing (not including utilities). Less would certainly be A-OK.
- just to reiterate, we'd like to aim for a close-knit community where kids can get out and play.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of such an area? Or, am I kidding myself that children get out and play anymore? ; )

Thanks! If you can think of other details that would help, let me know!

Pinoke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoke View Post
Hi all,

My family is looking to move to Atlanta in the next few months. I'm a native Atlantan, but have been away for more than a dozen years, and this time I'll be looking for a home for my family: me, my husband, a 6 year old daughter, and a dog. Kind of a different situation than when I left as a single, young woman.

We were originally looking at co-housing (East Lake Commons) but it appears nothing is available there right now. Two things that really appeal to me about East Lake Commons are the strong sense of community and the fact that my daughter would be free to play around the "neighborhood" with the other kids.

So, we are looking for neighborhoods/communities (or even streets!) that are fairly close-knit and that have children who actually play together outside.

Other things we're considering:
- Not sure if we want to rent or buy right off.
- We'd prefer to be ITP on the east side of town - think Decatur-ish and surroundings.
- My husband is courting a job SE of Atlanta, and if he takes it, easy access to I-20 would be important.
- We homeschool, so area schools are not as important to us.
- It would be ideal for us to live in an area where we could walk to stores, restaurants, etc.
- Would like to spend <$1600/mo on housing (not including utilities). Less would certainly be A-OK.
- just to reiterate, we'd like to aim for a close-knit community where kids can get out and play.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of such an area? Or, am I kidding myself that children get out and play anymore? ; )

Thanks! If you can think of other details that would help, let me know!

Pinoke
You could look at East Lake, Kirkwood, Edgewood, East Atlanta. All areas have a lot of kids and strong communities.
Speaking from experience in Kirkwood, there are groups of similar aged kids that get together at Bessie Branham Park, where the kids play and parents chat. Kirkwood has a very strong neighborhood community and volunteer spirit.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
Add Grant Park to the list. The south side of the neighborhood just got a new playground, which is soon to be surrounded by restaurants and such. The park itself (the big one, Grant Park) holds TONS of kid-focused events year round. There are always kids (older than 6, but not yet teenagers) biking or walking alone to the park and the coffee shop for ice cream. You also see a ton of families at Ormond-Grant and Grant Park. There is also a "Safe Route to School" route being built right now through the neighborhood so that kids who are old enough can easily walk or bike to school alone or as part of the bicycle trains or whatever they are called. Easy access to MARTA, I-20, walkable to stores/restaurants. You can easily rent for <$1600/month.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 PM

East Lake, Kirkwood, Edgewood, East Atlanta, and Grant Park - it sounds those all fall in line with what I was thinking. I especially like hearing about your experiences with the parks. We may try to swing by Bessie Branham on our visit next weekend and drive through the neighborhoods.

Totally forgot about Grant Park...I'd love to be able to walk to the zoo!

FWIW, it's amazing how much these areas have changed in the last 15 - 20 years.

I notice Ormewood Park is nearby. Anyone have experience with that neighborhood?

Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoke View Post
East Lake, Kirkwood, Edgewood, East Atlanta, and Grant Park - it sounds those all fall in line with what I was thinking. I especially like hearing about your experiences with the parks. We may try to swing by Bessie Branham on our visit next weekend and drive through the neighborhoods.

Totally forgot about Grant Park...I'd love to be able to walk to the zoo!

FWIW, it's amazing how much these areas have changed in the last 15 - 20 years.

I notice Ormewood Park is nearby. Anyone have experience with that neighborhood?
Basically the same as Grant Park, but a little further from most of the amenities (i.e.: not as walkable).

Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 PM

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:17 PM

197 posts, read 183,990 times
Lake Claire/Candler, Inman, Oakhurst, Grant

Old 05-18-2016, 07:56 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
I know it is not your target area, but kids play outside here in my burb constantly.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM

Love Lake Claire/Candler. I'll check out Inman and Oakhurst, too. Grant Park is pretty high on my list right now.

My mom was saying that Tucker is really up-and-coming. Any of you heard of this? What kinds of changes are going on there? Grew up near Northlake, so Tucker's pretty familiar to me and I am intrigued to hear about anything new happening in that area.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I know it is not your target area, but kids play outside here in my burb constantly.
Where are you located? Ansley Park? Midtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta