Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
The area around the Superdome and quite a bit of NOLA is very walkable.

Like the other poster, I think the last call thing is ridiculous too. I'm not a fan of being micromanaged.
I have to disagree with
The Superdome has horrible street-level interaction, because the entrances are all on a pedestal. It is surrounded on 2 sides by freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

This might be the dumbest logic I've ever seen applied to a thread on CD.

If you don't understand why cities have closing times and alcohol laws ... nobody here can help you.

Alcohol laws of the United States
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alco..._United_States

Last Call (Bar Term) Around the World
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_c...m)?wprov=sfsi1
It's a pretty antiquated practice though I'd say. Sometimes it's prudent to revisit these types of laws.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:18 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
No its not. Either ban drinking 24/7 or stop the last call law.
But, fieldm, where is the logic in that? Isn't that like saying, "Abolish the speed limit or do away with cars"? Not quite following you here, sir.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I have to disagree with
The Superdome has horrible street-level interaction, because the entrances are all on a pedestal. It is surrounded on 2 sides by freeways.

It sure does...it's surrounded by a decently walkable area, but the Superdome itself is very isolated. The Georgia Dome has always been one of the nation's most accessible ones...most of them are either suburban or in a desolate area of the city surrounded by a sea of parking - check MetLife Stadium (Giants), Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles), FedEx Field (Redskins), Gillette Stadium (Patriots), New Miami Stadium (Dolphins) and many more.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:06 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It sure does...it's surrounded by a decently walkable area, but the Superdome itself is very isolated. The Georgia Dome has always been one of the nation's most accessible ones...most of them are either suburban or in a desolate area of the city surrounded by a sea of parking - check MetLife Stadium (Giants), Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles), FedEx Field (Redskins), Gillette Stadium (Patriots), New Miami Stadium (Dolphins) and many more.
Don't forget the nightmare that is Meadowlands.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Don't forget the nightmare that is Meadowlands.

One of the worst offenders.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:11 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
But, fieldm, where is the logic in that? Isn't that like saying, "Abolish the speed limit or do away with cars"? Not quite following you here, sir.
No. Its like saying speeding is bad so we are shutting down the highways at 3am until 6am even though people speed during the day

Old 06-01-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
No. Its like saying speeding is bad so we are shutting down the highways at 3am until 6am even though people speed during the day

I never liked the last call thing when I was out and about at that time of night, but they do have some logical reasons for it (not that I agree with them). It's not just that drinking is bad during those hours, but they did have a rationale for doing it. A lot of it had to do with the 2000 Super Bowl and the Ray Lewis murders along with the out-of-control crowds in Buckhead and the crime associated with them. There was a lot of after-hours problems around Club 112 too which was next door to a nice residential neighborhood on La Vista. I always said that the Buckhead party crowd ruined it for everyone and I still hate Ray Lewis...he stole Atlanta's party.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I have to disagree with
I don't get the impression we're talking about the same thing. I did not say it was a hop, skip, and a jump to enter the stadium. I said the area around and most of New Orleans is walkable.

Since you brought up the freeways, I-10 and 610 are nothing like the freeways here so I'm not sure what that has to do with it. Now that I've had a chance to think about it, the only place I would opt not to walk is New Orleans east; doesn't mean I haven't done it though.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I don't get the impression we're talking about the same thing. I did not say it was a hop, skip, and a jump to enter the stadium. I said the area around and most of New Orleans is walkable.

Since you brought up the freeways, I-10 and 610 are nothing like the freeways here so I'm not sure what that has to do with it. Now that I've had a chance to think about it, the only place I would opt not to walk is New Orleans east; doesn't mean I haven't done it though.
I-10 and I-610 are elevated, unlike the downtown connector which is mostly depressed thru the core, and create dead spaces beneath them that peds do not feel safe crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta