Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 05:18 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...streetcar.html

Already posted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 05:25 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Sorry..Will ask moderator to delete...

Old 05-27-2016, 10:52 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
I haven't been to this board in months now, but after reading about the streetcar elsewhere, I thought I'd come back here and see if the people who derided people like me (who predicted this $100 million boondoggle would go broke and have no ridership) would be back to apologize and admit they were wrong.

Funny how when some of us, just looking rationally at facts, said this thing was a ginormous waste of taxpayer money that would never be successful, we were just suburban, anti-transit bigots with an agenda. Funny how facts are...they are pretty objective.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:18 AM

62 posts, read 62,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I haven't been to this board in months now, but after reading about the streetcar elsewhere, I thought I'd come back here and see if the people who derided people like me (who predicted this $100 million boondoggle would go broke and have no ridership) would be back to apologize and admit they were wrong.

Funny how when some of us, just looking rationally at facts, said this thing was a ginormous waste of taxpayer money that would never be successful, we were just suburban, anti-transit bigots with an agenda. Funny how facts are...they are pretty objective.
Thing is I'm pro-transit and I knew it was going to be a failure as well(Look at the massive thread I created on the streetcar). Anyone who was objective knew the result.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:31 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I always thought that MARTA should've run it from the get go and that it be expanded to complement the HRT system, and I still stand by that opinion.

Quote:
In it's current route, yes.

Do you oppose MARTA taking its operations over and them expanding it?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:32 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
As I've said so many times now, the problem with the Atlanta Streetcar is not with what exists with it, but what doesn't exist. The demand is there, the potential is waiting to be tapped. The concept is not the issue. The value of transit is clearly there. If you could use a streetcar system to get everywhere you want to go every day all around the city, in a fast and convenient manner, without ever having to wait more than 10 minutes or so for the next streetcar, then ridership would be off the charts, people would sell their cars for good, and it would be the most successful streetcar system in the country.

But no, we build this tiny little useless nothing of a thing, that doesn't go anywhere (so of course no one rides it), and there's not even enough vehicles to run a decent frequency, and it has to sit there in the frickin' car congestion- and we judge THAT, and everyone derides the Atlanta Streetcar as FAILURE. No, it's a proof of concept demo. At best.

The failure is not in the fact that we spent $100 million on this, it's in the fact that we are not spending $100 billion on it. It's like going to Carmax and buying just a car seat and a door. Of course it just sits there on the pavement and is useless. Of course it's a waste of $100 million and the incomplete "car" is a failure. That's what happens when you make a slow useless tourist gimmick loop ride demo. Why would there be any expectation of ridership? Who even goes to the King Center, ever?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:34 AM

272 posts, read 271,730 times
Light rail is never the answer.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
As I've said so many times now, the problem with the Atlanta Streetcar is not with what exists with it, but what doesn't exist. The demand is there, the potential is waiting to be tapped. The concept is not the issue. The value of transit is clearly there. If you could use a streetcar system to get everywhere you want to go every day all around the city, in a fast and convenient manner, without ever having to wait more than 10 minutes or so for the next streetcar, then ridership would be off the charts, people would sell their cars for good, and it would be the most successful streetcar system in the country.

But no, we build this tiny little useless nothing of a thing, that doesn't go anywhere (so of course no one rides it), and there's not even enough vehicles to run a decent frequency, and it has to sit there in the frickin' car congestion- and we judge THAT, and everyone derides the Atlanta Streetcar as FAILURE. No, it's a proof of concept demo. At best.

The failure is not in the fact that we spent $100 million on this, it's in the fact that we are not spending $100 billion on it. It's like going to Carmax and buying just a car seat and a door. Of course it just sits there on the pavement and is useless. Of course it's a waste of $100 million and the incomplete "car" is a failure. That's what happens when you make a slow useless tourist gimmick loop ride demo. Why would there be any expectation of ridership? Who even goes to the King Center, ever?
Remains to be seen whether demand is there or not. Very few people would sell their cars.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:41 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Light rail is never the answer.
Street car is never the answer. It is just 150 year old technology that is vastly more expensive and vastly less flexible than a bus.

Light rail can be a good solution when it isn't just a streetcar traveling in mixed traffic.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Of course I would prefer that transportation was privatized so private transit companies could flourish once again in Atlanta, but the streetcar is not a failure any more than a road is a failure.

I would build this section again and look forward to seeing it expanded this November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta