Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 03:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,968,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Somewhat related... From today's ABC.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...318&j=73631862
Yeah, accident frequency is not a good reason to drive a car. I can mitigate that someone myself by working off hours and not taking interstates, but for many that isn't an option.

I found this interesting:

"Atlantans also pay an average of $321 more annually for car insurance than Cary, N.C., which ranked as the No. 1 safest U.S. city for drivers of the 200 NerdWallet studied. Average annual car insurance rate in Atlanta is $1,050.03."

Wow. I get a good deal on insurance, apparently. I pay somewhat less than the average in Cary. Maybe being old is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:27 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,689,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yeah, accident frequency is not a good reason to drive a car. I can mitigate that someone myself by working off hours and not taking interstates, but for many that isn't an option.

I found this interesting:

"Atlantans also pay an average of $321 more annually for car insurance than Cary, N.C., which ranked as the No. 1 safest U.S. city for drivers of the 200 NerdWallet studied. Average annual car insurance rate in Atlanta is $1,050.03."

Wow. I get a good deal on insurance, apparently. I pay somewhat less than the average in Cary. Maybe being old is a good thing.
Having an old vehicle is also key, something many people in metro Atlanta do not do because they either put too many miles on or they feel their car is an expression of them.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,799,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I wonder if traffic deaths in suburban areas where compared to murder rates in the city, what area would appear safer?
I crunched some basic numbers in a thread a couple years back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You are about twice as likely to die driving to your home 30 miles further away (to a fictional neighborhood with zero murders) than you are to be murdered in Atlanta.

Math: Homicide rate in ATL: 0.000177 per year. 1.5 deaths per 100,000,000 million miles driven. 30 miles X 2 X 365 = 21900 = 0.0003285 deaths per year.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 PM

10,729 posts, read 13,261,500 times
Quote:
I crunched some basic numbers in a thread a couple years back:
Here is an informative chart. Our son just began driving by himself... Makes ya worry.

Georgia Crashes, Injuries & Fatalities Statistics | Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety

Old 05-31-2016, 03:56 PM

5,617 posts, read 5,878,001 times
Quote:
I wonder if traffic deaths in suburban areas where compared to murder rates in the city, what area would appear safer? I know in unincorporated Cobb County (not including cities and interstates), there were 41 traffic-related deaths for 2015.
Personally safety means a lot more than just murder. I don't understand the fixation on death as if that's the only meaningful metric for comparison. Risk of assault, theft/burglary, etc are all important factors. If you wanna throw in injuries from cars, theft from cars, etc., go ahead. I rather my car get broken into than my house or me get mugged walking down the street. As to which is safer with everything considered, hard to say (or compute at least).

Ultimately it's very subjective. For me, the benefits of having a car outweigh the risks. For you, I'm assuming no.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Personally safety means a lot more than just murder. I don't understand the fixation on death as if that's the only meaningful metric for comparison. Risk of assault, theft/burglary, etc are all important factors. If you wanna throw in injuries from cars, theft from cars, etc., go ahead. I rather my car get broken into than my house or me get mugged walking down the street. As to which is safer with everything considered, hard to say (or compute at least).

Ultimately it's very subjective. For me, the benefits of having a car outweigh the risks. For you, I'm assuming no.
Yep. Most people view safety as subjective / how they feel. And it is ultimately a personal choice if the suburbs "feel" safer to you.

But for the measurable part of how safe you actually are, the less time you spend in the car the better. Even if it means living somewhere with higher crime.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Quote:
Here is an informative chart. Our son just began driving by himself... Makes ya worry.

Georgia Crashes, Injuries & Fatalities Statistics | Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety
Thanks, Ansley.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:

One thing to note (and make you worry more) is that 2015 not on that page. 2015 saw the highest number of fatalities in over a decade. Record fatalities on GA highways in 2015 - CBS46 News

Old 06-01-2016, 07:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,689,423 times
Quote:
One thing to note (and make you worry more) is that 2015 not on that page. 2015 saw the highest number of fatalities in over a decade. Record fatalities on GA highways in 2015 - CBS46 News
The rise in traffic fatalities can be directly linked to the rise in distracted driving. PUT DOWN THE PHONE WHEN DRIVING

Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Quote:
The rise in traffic fatalities can be directly linked to the rise in distracted driving. PUT DOWN THE PHONE WHEN DRIVING
Can't somebody simply make an app that disables phones will a vehicle is in motion?

Then require it to be installed in order to purchase gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta