Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,843,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms123 View Post
Thank you for your advice. We would stay for about 5 years and build some equity. We are expecting to only afford a 2 bed/ 2 bath home at the moment. In the next 5-7 years as future kids get to pre-school age I would assume we would move somewhere with a good school zone and a third bedroom.

My fiance and I are on the same page with fixing up a place. He is very handy and could a lot of the work himself. He also works from home when he isn't traveling so that is a plus if we do find a place that needs work. We are both very in-between about what area to live in. We both don't want to live somewhere that we would be afraid of or afraid to leave the house without it getting broken into.

Is Kirkwood still kind of affordable right now? I don't know much about it but will definitely take a drive over there this weekend to take a look.

There are deals to be found in Kirkwood and Edgewood, they are further along than Peoplestown or Choosewood Park.
There are things you can do to make yourself less of a target for residential burglaries.
I also suggest to everyone asking about crime to look at the APD Crime Map APD Zone 6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,865,741 times
All of those are great neighborhoods!

I live in Ormewood Park and love it! But I bought here 3-4 years ago. If you want an area that still has more potential I would go with Summerhill since I think that area is about to see a lot of improvements with the coming Turner Field Redevelopment.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:28 AM

29 posts, read 35,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree. That house on Robinson had some issues, so I imagine somebody will be doing a good amount of renovation there, or at least add on. Still, I think it was a good deal in the current market. I personally think if you are looking for a house to build equity in, the hot spot is south of Atlanta where the beltline will be coming and everything that goes along with that, like Eventide Brewery and the Beacon. I also wouldn't hesitate to venture a block or 2 past Hill into Peoplestown, but probably not further right now. There are some great townhomes off Grant St. that sell at a good price, and will be right in the middle of all of the new development.
Those townhomes sound interesting, I will definitely keep an eye out on Zillow to see if one goes on sale!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
[/b]

There are deals to be found in Kirkwood and Edgewood, they are further along than Peoplestown or Choosewood Park.
There are things you can do to make yourself less of a target for residential burglaries.
I also suggest to everyone asking about crime to look at the APD Crime Map APD Zone 6
Thank you for the information

I am really excited to check out Kirkwood this weekend. There are a lot of nice affordable houses for sale there at the moment!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
All of those are great neighborhoods!

I live in Ormewood Park and love it! But I bought here 3-4 years ago. If you want an area that still has more potential I would go with Summerhill since I think that area is about to see a lot of improvements with the coming Turner Field Redevelopment.
That is great to hear you love it! It really is such a pretty area. Any idea when they are starting the Beltline below Memorial?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:34 AM

By the way, I finally got through to Edward Andrews about their huge Boulevard Heights housing plan (they kept saying Grant Park but that area seems closer to Bvld heights) .... They are starting construction in 2017 and will not announce pricing and floor plans until then. I suspect by that point the pricing will rise. They are saying 200s right now but I can imagine it'll be 300s by the time they sell.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:42 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,865,741 times
Quote:
That is great to hear you love it! It really is such a pretty area. Any idea when they are starting the Beltline below Memorial?
They are doing the design work for it now, They have already shown some concents for the Bill Kennedy Way section with final plans to be presented this summer. The rest of the south-side trail design process will wrap up by the end of the year.

The main thing holding up getting it built is money. They have designs for getting the trail down to Memorial and are starting work to get it to Kirkwood, but they need another ~$6M to replace a bridge to get the path funded all the way to Memorial.

But stay tuned for getting to vote for funding the Beltline trail this November!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,843,510 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information

I am really excited to check out Kirkwood this weekend. There are a lot of nice affordable houses for sale there at the moment!
It is a wonderful neighborhood. If you time, I suggest eating at Le Petit Marche, Elmyriachi, Sun in my Belly, or The Pullman while there. Also, if you have time, park your car and walk around the downtown village district.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It is a wonderful neighborhood. If you time, I suggest eating at Le Petit Marche, Elmyriachi, Sun in my Belly, or The Pullman while there. Also, if you have time, park your car and walk around the downtown village district.
Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:41 PM

222 posts, read 242,888 times
While the Georgia State development will for sure have an impact on the surrounding areas and will likely be a major driver for development, you're talking 6-7 years down the road. It's going to be a huge project in scope and size. The westside neighborhoods in my opinion are likely to see much more movement on the upside in the short term, 3-4 years due to the beltline coming on board very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta