Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:09 PM

34 posts, read 58,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
While the Georgia State development will for sure have an impact on the surrounding areas and will likely be a major driver for development, you're talking 6-7 years down the road. It's going to be a huge project in scope and size. The westside neighborhoods in my opinion are likely to see much more movement on the upside in the short term, 3-4 years due to the beltline coming on board very soon.
I would agree with this. I wouldn't imagine Georgia State has the funding available currently for both the Turner Field retrofit and the new baseball field. On top of that all the student housing, apartments, and retail won't likely start for quite some time. It's a very ambitious project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
While the Georgia State development will for sure have an impact on the surrounding areas and will likely be a major driver for development, you're talking 6-7 years down the road. It's going to be a huge project in scope and size. The westside neighborhoods in my opinion are likely to see much more movement on the upside in the short term, 3-4 years due to the beltline coming on board very soon.
Really the best thing that the west side has going for it, is that the east side is so darn expensive. If you like where it is right now, and want to live in the city-it is a great place to live--and maybe you can use the money you save on housing to invest in something else, or just enjoy not being house-poor. But there is nothing on the west side to help it weather even a mild recession. It got pummeled during the last crash (although a lot of that was mortgage fraud, I believe). You can see where the money is on the east side, and have a good idea of where it is going--and even in a downturn, you can expect most of those projects to go forward.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 AM

26 posts, read 24,403 times
What about West Midtown/Blandtown/Westtown/Underwood Hills?
You can get great deals there.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 AM

29 posts, read 35,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tissle View Post
What about West Midtown/Blandtown/Westtown/Underwood Hills?
You can get great deals there.
Unfortunately it would be a crappy commute from those areas... I work in Peachtree City

Old 06-08-2016, 05:56 AM

29 posts, read 35,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Really the best thing that the west side has going for it, is that the east side is so darn expensive. If you like where it is right now, and want to live in the city-it is a great place to live--and maybe you can use the money you save on housing to invest in something else, or just enjoy not being house-poor. But there is nothing on the west side to help it weather even a mild recession. It got pummeled during the last crash (although a lot of that was mortgage fraud, I believe). You can see where the money is on the east side, and have a good idea of where it is going--and even in a downturn, you can expect most of those projects to go forward.
Yes, that is an option too. I am just feeling that pressure as I approach 30 to stop "throwing away" money on rent. I have read many arguments for both sides and realize housing may end up costing more than rent in many cases, but there is still the nagging thought of feeling like I SHOULD be buying.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
My advice -- if this is primarily about feeling like you "should be buying," I would advise staying put for the time being if you like where you live. Don't buy a home unless you feel 100% certain you want to live in a particular house and neighborhood. Don't select a place based on investment appreciation potential either. Buy a place based on where you want to live, liking the neighborhood, fits your lifestyle (commuting requirements) etc. All those neighborhoods mentioned have their own merits but it sounds like you really aren't sure what you want (that's not a criticism), and if that's the case you're better off not making the commitment yet.

You mentioned a fiance, which implies wedding is being planned. That is stressful enough, just get through the wedding and then refocus on the housing after you're settled as a married couple.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM

123 posts, read 152,986 times
Just bought a house in Summerhill. Really hope that area stays on the uprise!

Old 06-10-2016, 12:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
Just bought a house in Summerhill. Really hope that area stays on the uprise!
Congratulations and good luck!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 7,430 times
Chosewood park has a section i think is going to be the next big area. There is a hill that overlooks Atlanta with unbelivable views. Multi-Million dollar views. With I knew exactly where to tell you to go there but just look for the highest land then head up and turn around when you get to the top and you will see.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 AM

149 posts, read 182,314 times
My rental is being sold here in Historic midtown, so we are being kicked out.

I'm looking to buy on the West side myself. Rent continues to rise on the East side (A friend of mine had his rent rise $400/mo a few months ago). I won't praise it too much right now (don't want the prices to go up). I will say that, don't make yourself house poor trying to stay afloat on the East side. And don't forget to think in absolutes either. A 50% decrease in value of a $150k home is still less than a 25% decrease in value of a $400k home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta