Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 01:31 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I think, relatively speaking with respect to the State's population, few people expect much from transit. Relatively speaking with respect to the City of Atlanta's population, a significant, but not majority, of the folks expect a lot from transit. I hope you COA folks that support transit will see your vision of expanded MARTA come true.
In my opinion, if all goes well with the Marta Tax in the City of Atlanta, I can see the COA/ ITP Transit improving and Infilling Dramatically with Rail and Bus Services galore. Not so sure about anything outside of that. We have to virtually stuff Transit down some Suburban Counties throats, not to name any names...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 07:11 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
I just would like to get to where I need to go with minimal drama. I don't want to hear a whole lot of this county doesn't do that and some other county doesn't do the other. I would like a cohesive system that serves whatever is considered the metro no matter where you live in it. Buses would be just fine because rail of any type is going to take forever to build.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:36 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
I think for once that the "if you build it they will come" mentality would actually work if MARTA were expanded. I live in the burbs(returning to the city this fall because I hate being so far away from my friends) and try to get my husband to take the train when he has to go downtown. Driving to the station and waiting for the train just seems pointless to him. And I understand that, even though I am willing to do drive and wait. There's going to come a point where the traffic without a meaningful alternative will become unbearable. I tried recruiting qualified people for the company I work for but they said the traffic was too much for them. MARTA needs the backing of the state. I think that is the only way for it to really take off. It has done quite well for itself given the circumstances. I think a system that covers the core counties as first intended is what most Atlantans are looking for.

Atlanta traffic is more a perception than reality. Atlanta was at the top of the list for worst traffic for a few years and hasn't been able to shake that image even though we are consistently ranked outside the top 10 in recent years. I have found traffic to be a good bit worse in a few other cities than Atlanta.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I just would like to get to where I need to go with minimal drama. I don't want to hear a whole lot of this county doesn't do that and some other county doesn't do the other. I would like a cohesive system that serves whatever is considered the metro no matter where you live in it. Buses would be just fine because rail of any type is going to take forever to build.

But you have to hear that this or that county doesn't want to be part of Atlanta's transit system because that is the reason why we don't have a cohesive system. Some of the suburban counties have declined to be part of it all and haven't come up with anything significant to connect with MARTA - hence the disjointed system.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:52 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
But you have to hear that this or that county doesn't want to be part of Atlanta's transit system because that is the reason why we don't have a cohesive system. Some of the suburban counties have declined to be part of it all and haven't come up with anything significant to connect with MARTA - hence the disjointed system.

Well, I get what you are saying, but I think something should be available for use.

You know it wasn't until one time I was getting my car fixed that I realized that I had no way of getting around other than cabs, my feet, or nagging a friend. I did not even realize buses did not run in my area.

I don't think it's so much that most people in the suburbs are against public transit but don't think about it until it affects them.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Well, I get what you are saying, but I think something should be available for use.

You know it wasn't until one time I was getting my car fixed that I realized that I had no way of getting around other than cabs, my feet, or nagging a friend. I did not even realize buses did not run in my area.

I don't think it's so much that most people in the suburbs are against public transit but don't think about it until it affects them.

I wonder if buses would have enough riders in your area? I don't know where you live obviously, but there are some areas of the city where it's apparent that ridership would be extremely low. I've had the same thing happen to me, but luckily I had a MARTA station within walking distance. Unluckily the place that had my car was nowhere near a MARTA station.

There are always going to be some areas that aren't covered by transit in any city. Even NYC has areas that don't have transit options...but I think many people believe that in NYC you walk right out your door and there is a rail station. There is often a lot of walking involved there, and it seems like people in Atlanta don't want to walk much.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-05-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 02:37 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
I wish to goodness that Johns Creek had a train stop. Sadly, I will be wishing forever....

Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I wish to goodness that Johns Creek had a train stop. Sadly, I will be wishing forever....

I think there are plans to take it to Alpharetta, so it's getting closer. How long can you wait? (i.e. how old are you) LOL!

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-05-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 02:47 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
It seems unlikely now but I don't know if you will be wishing forever.

Trains likely may not ever operate through Johns Creek.....But it is not out of the realm of possibility that a Bus Rapid Transit line or a high-capacity express bus line of some type could one day operate along Georgia Highway 141 through Johns Creek to and from the Doraville MARTA Station or possibly even a future high-capacity rail transit station in the Norcross area.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
What do we really expect from Transit as Southerners in Atlanta and GA.....What do we really expect from Transit in Atlanta Metro and Georgia as a whole???
That is a really good question.

I guess that one could say that we as Southerners (and Georgians and metro Atlantans) expect transit to be clean, safe, fast, well-run (competently run), effective, convenient and responsive to our transportation needs.

I guess that one could also say that many of us would like transit to be innovative and cutting edge as well as quick and easy to use.

I myself would like to see transit integrated to be used along with the road network instead of transportation discussions often seeming to always be a question of transit vs. roads....Or "either or" as if roads and transit are not part of the same multimodal transportation network and cannot work together to compliment and supplement each other in the same transportation network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta