Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:28 AM

20 posts, read 92,042 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the Dunwoody area this summer and was looking for the most child-friendly swim club. I have 3 girls ages 11, 7 and 5. Any direction would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
This is probably the largest club in the Atlanta area-

Dynamo Swim Club - Welcome - Swim Team (http://www.dynamoswimclub.com/default.asp - broken link)

Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Do you mean competitive programs like Dynamo or neighborhood pools? Where in Dunwoody are you going?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM

Neighborhood pools...we haven't bought a house yet but found one we like in the Nancy Creek Heights neighborhood. We also like Redfield because it has its own pool but not many houses for sale there. Thank you very much!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 PM

Nancy Creek Heights is actually not in Dunwoody, I don't think, but really more like Chamblee --

All the community pools are great for kids, but they almost all come with big initiation fees, so you will want to buy a house first, then find a pool. Most allow people who don't live in the neighborhood to join, but some will have waiting lists.

I believe there is a pool on Vermack Road, called Vermack, that serves families from all over.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:30 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
There is also a nice neighborhood pool/playground in The Branches. It's a big neighborhood, so I'm sure that there should be some for sale.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM

I don't think I completely understand what the options are that exist in Atlanta...if I don't move into a neighborhood that has a swim/tennis community (like Redfield or the Branches), where do I go to swim with my kids? Where I live now, the only option is a country club where you pay $20,000 for an initiation fee and then $300/month thereafter. I was hoping the Dunwoody area had more options than that. We don't want to swim competitively, just for recreation. Are there options for a clean, nice pool where my kids can meet other kids during the summer? Again, thank you very much for any input.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM

If you don't move into a neighborhood with a pool, then you can join another neighborhood's pool -- or one like the one on Vermack that serves many neighborhood.

There are at least a dozen neighborhood pools in Dunwoody and almost all of them accept members from outside their neighborhood. However, you need to know first where you are going to live so you can join the pool nearest your home. Does this make sense?

I am going to link some examples for you...

Admin - Home Page
Kingsley Racquet And Swim Club
FSTC- Fontainebleau Swim and Tennis Club - We're making a splash ...... and having a ball! FSTC
Mill Glen Swim & Tennis Club - Dunwoody, GA - Home (http://www.millglen.org/c/mgs/ - broken link)

Some limit their membership to a large number of neighborhoods, but might let you join regardless of where you live in they have room...

The Branches Club, Inc - Home Page (http://www.thebranches.org/pg/page.asp?page_id=HP - broken link)
Georgetown Recreation Club - Home

There are lots more.

Does this help at all?

Old 02-16-2008, 05:47 AM

7 posts, read 34,574 times
lastminutemom has given you pretty good information -- when do you think you will be moving? Many of the pools have waiting lists, and many do renewals in February or March... so that is when the waiting list starts to move.

If you move into a neighborhood with a pool, you may be guaranteed a spot or moved on the waiting list above others who don't live the neighborhoods listed in the pool's bylaws. However, I really think it is a guarantee. If you don't move into a neighborhood that is served by a specific swim/tennis, there are lots of choices.

If you feel like this will all be rushed for you -- there is one other option... the Jewish Community Center --no need to be Jewish-- offers a swimming membership for the summer -- it isn't listed on their website yet, but this membership allows you to swim for the summer

MJCCA

The downside is that they host a lot of camps and it isn't really a place people hang out during the day -- but you can use it, but many families use it after 3 PM and on weekends.

I think I understand your question to be --what happens if I buy a home in a neighborhood that doesn't have a pool -- generally, families find the nearest pool that accepts families from their area. So, for example, you wouldn't want to buy a home on Manget (a street with lots of tear downs, but no pool) and then join the pool in Kingsley, which is fairly far away. You would most likely look at Vermack, Village Mill (this one is notorioiusly difficult to get into --long waiting list for non-residents) or even Georgetown.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Thank you very much. This information is very helpful. In your opinion, is Redfield a good neighborhood as well as the Nancy Creek Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta