Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:45 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
How about simply making a long linear park along Peachtree Creek. Its pretty dismal from I-85 to where it crosses Piedmont.

I could get SO behind this.

I mean, if nothing else, it would provide a pretty decent buffer to helping keep the waterway clean, and make it easier to get in and do clean-up / restoration.

It's only ~7.5 miles of creek until you hit the fork, maybe half of which is either already in parkland, or is in the BeltLine right of way.

This is a totally doable thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:47 PM

770 posts, read 603,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Why big? How about a lot of public art sculptures along the Beltline? They have rotating ones in Candler Park. And some could symbolize the history of places along the Beltline.
Beltline is already doing some of that with public art, abstract art. While that's good, big tends to get noticed and be more defining of a city on the whole, which is why a building or massive sculpture would be more definitive of uniqueness.

Personally think, capping major portions of the connector could go a long way into making ATL unique and then on top of it utilizing the public park space with sculpture gardens, or art would be big.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
You can't simply make a city more unique. It has to come organically. The only way something becomes unique is if it organically became that way. New York or NOLA in 1850 didn't ask themselves how do we become more unique...they simply continued to build the city as the demand to live in the city rose, then the civic features of the city made the city more unique as time passed.

But if you really want to make Atlanta unique or worth visiting over other cities, find a developer or philanthropist who's willing to put forth money to build something that's extremely uncommon, like a museum made of pure glass that looks like a palace.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:16 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You can't simply make a city more unique. It has to come organically. The only way something becomes unique is if it organically became that way. New York or NOLA in 1850 didn't ask themselves how do we become more unique...they simply continued to build the city as the demand to live in the city rose, then the civic features of the city made the city more unique as time passed.

But if you really want to make Atlanta unique or worth visiting over other cities, find a developer or philanthropist who's willing to put forth money to build something that's extremely uncommon, like a museum made of pure glass that looks like a palace.

That's exactly what I've been saying...I think Atlanta is plenty unique in many ways (a long list of things), but I think what some people are pushing for is something iconic and instantly recognizable on the skyline - and that has to happen naturally. To me the most recognizable skyline feature is the Westin Peachtree and the many spires and crowns. If we are to have something iconic featured on our skyline it will happen over time.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:45 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Even though it could end up being problematic for event control, having an annual get-together of some sort that was completely unlike anything anywhere else, could add to the uniqueness of Atlanta?

Instead of, or as well as, an odd looking architectural monstrosity.
This comment made me laugh and I agree about avoiding an odd looking architectural monstrosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I do think the Westin Peachtree or the Coca-Cola sign is Atlanta's icon, since there is only 1 other Portman design, circular 70 story tower in the world and it is not the Westin.
I'm not really feeling the Westin Peachtree, but something Coca-Cola related is a good idea. Mentioning the Westin "Peachtree", I still think planting some would not be the worst idea.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:56 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,204 times
Yeah. Less big box chains, and more authentic boutique stores and restaurants. It's called character. If I see yet ANOTHER shopping center with TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, Michaels, a nail shop, Chinese food, a yogurt joint, Target, Ulta, Home Goods, or fake New York pizza I'm gonna DIE.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:27 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Yeah. Less big box chains, and more authentic boutique stores and restaurants. It's called character. If I see yet ANOTHER shopping center with TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, Michaels, a nail shop, Chinese food, a yogurt joint, Target, Ulta, Home Goods, or fake New York pizza I'm gonna DIE.
A good, successful community has a balanced mix of local, regional, and national chains.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
See the thread on Keane's reorganization and the difficulty of getting permits. Atlanta's bureaucracy makes it very difficult to do business unless you have deep pockets or deep connections. There was an AJC article at the time Reed took office that said that a permit that took 3 weeks on average in Cobb County took 42 weeks in the city of Atlanta.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I do think the Westin Peachtree or the Coca-Cola sign is Atlanta's icon, since there is only 1 other Portman design, circular 70 story tower in the world and it is not the Westin.
I don't think average person recognize building like that unless it's the really famous ones like Empire State or Sears Tower "Yes I know" or they are really similar with that city.

People tend to recognize symbols like Statues, Fountains, Observation towers, Clock towers, even Churches more.

The Fountain of Rings been on Several TV shows and Films. That is something that could grow to be Ironic especially if more attractions keep bringing people to that area.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

They was trying to develop things to make a impression,

So technically they was, they was building "hoping" one day with time it will be consider great. Whether or not a building or structure will be consider unique or ironic is a different story but that is the goal. Architecture is a art, and as a art the goal was to make a impression.

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-14-2016 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta