Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:15 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree. You'd really never know that Atlanta was historically a critical rail hub just by taking inventory of its historic buildings.
Which is why we need to create a Museum of Transportation or railroad history and display the Zero Mile Marker, instead of keeping it locked up under a viaduct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 02:01 PM

770 posts, read 603,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes, comparing the BeltLine to the High Line is not fair to the High Line because the BeltLine will be a complete transportation corridor with transit, trail, and greenspace.
I can agree with that, they aren't similar since the Beltline will be much more and larger, it still has a lot of the same variables, old train tracks, walking path, etc. and I'm hoping, maybe with time, once the Beltline is more established around the city, they'll embrace that and perhaps have the financing to do it. Just something I'd love to see, make it the transportation hub, but also be proud of your history and show it to the public, embrace it!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
We have the Georgia Freight Depot, oldest building in downtown. https://gba.georgia.gov/freight-room

Woodruff Park has the Atlanta from the Ashes statue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlant..._(The_Phoenix)

Summerhill has the Olympic Flame Tower Sports - 1996 Olympic Flame Tower in Atlanta - GeorgiaInfo

Marietta Street has the Henry Grady statue, who helped champion Atlanta and the new South Atlanta Public Arts Legacy Fund - Preserving public art in Atlanta and enduring the legacy of the 1996 Olympics.

I wish Atlanta would kept it's second terminal station now that would been iconic.

But stuff you mention are too small,

It's subtle stuff I'm saying Atlanta leaders and developers need to be boulder with civic monuments and public art. I think The Beltline gives opportunity to think out side the box.

A lot of people brush this to the side but the Beltline is Atlanta history it's a product of Atlanta rail heritage.

Dallas Trinity river project

Old 06-09-2016, 06:05 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
I don't think people understand how unique and "groundbreaking" (no pun intended) the Beltline project is. It's a hugely ambitious project that is being hailed worldwide and studied by urban planners all over the world.

We don't need the equivalent of "the bean" or neon trimmed buildings. Those are gimmicks.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I wish Atlanta would kept it's second terminal station now that would been iconic.

But stuff you mention are too small,

It's subtle stuff I'm saying Atlanta leaders and developers need to be boulder with civic monuments and public art. I think The Beltline gives opportunity to think out side the box.

A lot of people brush this to the side but the Beltline is Atlanta history it's a product of Atlanta rail heritage.

Dallas Trinity river project
Dallas sure did go all out for that bridge which crosses a creek.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dallas sure did go all out for that bridge which crosses a creek.
It's a Flood plain, next to the river is empty for a reason

http://www.dallassouthnews.org/wp-co...ty-Bridge1.jpg

The Trinity is no bigger than Chattahoochee, but because North Texas is flat The River is prone to increase in size and historically flood neighborhoods in both Dallas and Fort Worth when it rains heavy. So there's a larger Flood plain in both cities.

http://www.kathleenkent.com/wp-conte...nity-River.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles.../w940/TRINITY1

Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I don't think people understand how unique and "groundbreaking" (no pun intended) the Beltline project is. It's a hugely ambitious project that is being hailed worldwide and studied by urban planners all over the world.

We don't need the equivalent of "the bean" or neon trimmed buildings. Those are gimmicks.
How are these "Gimmicks" they are call public or civic art or just bold architecture.

Parts of the reason for the Beltline Ambiion is public art, I'm saying with in the Beltline gives Atlanta a chance to create bold and symbolic artwork.

Chicago Bean is in Millennium Park, a newly added park in Chicago, That bridge in Dallas was created a part of their Trinity river project.

Atlanta Beltline is full of Parks so why not try to create something bold and impressive, The Beltline is a huge opportunity.

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-09-2016 at 11:35 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Does it make the Calatrava bridge in Dallas less unique since there are several of them around the world that are similar in appearance? It's a beautiful bridge, but hardly unique. I remember when I first saw the Calatrava proposal for a new symphony center in Atlanta and was like "WOW!!!" Then I saw dozens of his projects with a very similar design and was a bit less enthused.

Is anything really unique anymore? If it's beautiful and amazing then chances are it's been done before...it's still fine to have something that another city already has, but people should really stop calling these things unique. Striking and eye-catching, maybe, but not truly unique. It also needs to happen organically in Atlanta - and not because we want to be unique like everyone else. LOL! I don't care to have anything too contrived or built just to "prove" Atlanta is great.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Does it make the Calatrava bridge in Dallas less unique since there are several of them around the world that are similar in appearance? It's a beautiful bridge, but hardly unique. I remember when I first saw the Calatrava proposal for a new symphony center in Atlanta and was like "WOW!!!" Then I saw dozens of his projects with a very similar design and was a bit less enthused.

Is anything really unique anymore? If it's beautiful and amazing then chances are it's been done before...it's still fine to have something that another city already has, but people should really stop calling these things unique. Striking and eye-catching, maybe, but not truly unique. It also needs to happen organically in Atlanta - and not because we want to be unique like everyone else. LOL! I don't care to have anything too contrived or built just to "prove" Atlanta is great.
The problem I have this logic tho...... everything was built to make an impression in the first place. So the organic vs Force argument technically doesn't even make sense.

Something can grow to mean something more but from the start the developers want that develop to mean something and be impressive.

Developers building a skyscraper for example aren't going we want this building to preceded as average architecturally. They want the build to be ironic and etc.

Others wise all building and etc are "force" to great, or organically force to be great. That's a motive with in anything regarding art, But reaching and archiving that is more complex but how can it happen if no one was aiming? Seriously what is not organic is a better question? everything start off as as idea or vision that wasn't there before it was created. And everything related to Art is for attention.

Imagine if someone said don't build Big Ben, St Louis arch, Sidney Opera House, The Hollywood sign and etc.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:17 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I'd certainly like us to completely embrace the "City in a Forest" idea. I'm talking better tree protections, green rooves, more reserves, etc.

Also, I love the idea of a "City of living walls". Atlanta isn't unique in having murals and such, but that doesn't stop them from adding color and vibrancy to the city.

I think we should stay away from gimmicky stuff (not that planting a bunch of public fruit trees is necessarily a gimmick). Things that make the city more attractive to visitors should, ideally, improve life for everyday residents.

Maybe I'm just boring like that though hahah.
I love that idea. I wish Savannah had more murals. And you can never have enough big trees! I was impressed when I visited ATL I didn't know how many trees it had. The beltline greewnay of ATL I have read about it sounds so good for your city. I think Savannah is starting to get something like this...first leg of it can be the Truman Pkwy and also the trail out to Tybee. Greenways are the best. By definition they'll always be unique, no two cities will have the same exact parks, from layout to plants to overall feel, shape, and architecture. Parks are such a great asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta