Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:56 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,826,205 times

Advertisements

This doesn't seem to be working so let's try something different. What do you find unique about Atlanta now and how could we build up that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 01:14 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,047,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
This doesn't seem to be working so let's try something different. What do you find unique about Atlanta now and how could we build up that?

That's a good idea...a more positive approach. But some people can't/won't understand that.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:46 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,113,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
That's a good idea...a more positive approach. But some people can't/won't understand that.
Nothing I said was even negative, and that partly what I was saying. Take something relate to Atlanta history or heritage and expand upon that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

I think the city should feed off what already unique to the city or region identity and create something that Highlight that.

The most symbolic things about Atlanta right now is probably Centennial Park fountain rings, And The Golden Dome of the State Capitol. And Maybe Atlanta written on the side of Philips area.

But growing up I always thought what if Atlanta had a Clock tower, Statue, or observation tower Downtown.
I brought that bridge in Dallas not just for architecture but what it's for The Trinity river project, The Trinity River and Flood plan divides the city. Dallas made use of something that define the city and took the opportunity to be creative with in it.

The Reunion tower gets it's name from The French LA reunion colony which is origin of the city of Dallas.

Atlanta being Standing Peachtree, Terminus, The New South, A center of the civil rights movement... There are so many substance things Atlanta can memorialize on a large scale.

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-12-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 05:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,047,943 times
Quote:
Nothing I said was even negative, and that partly what I was saying. Take something relate to Atlanta history or heritage and expand upon that.
I didn't even read what you said...I was just talking about negative comments in general. I wasn't referring to you.

Quote:
Atlanta being Standing Peachtree, Terminus, The New South, A center of the civil rights movement... There are so many substance things Atlanta can memorialize on a large scale.

I think Atlanta has already memorialized these things. I'm just not for contriving some major project just so we can have our own St. Louis Arch or some such. Those things take time to become iconic and don't happen overnight. The Trinity Bridge and Reunion Tower may be iconic locally, but they aren't nationally or internationally. Maybe in a few decades they will be.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,164,475 times
Even though it could end up being problematic for event control, having an annual get-together of some sort that was completely unlike anything anywhere else, could add to the uniqueness of Atlanta?

Instead of, or as well as, an odd looking architectural monstrosity.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM

4,844 posts, read 6,113,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

I think Atlanta has already memorialized these things. I'm just not for contriving some major project just so we can have our own St. Louis Arch or some such. Those things take time to become iconic and don't happen overnight. The Trinity Bridge and Reunion Tower may be iconic locally, but they aren't nationally or internationally. Maybe in a few decades they will be.

The Reunion Tower built in 1970's is pretty synonymous Dallas skyline for decades even if you didn't know the name. You have to be completely 100% oblivious of Dallas skyline itself to not know Dallas has The Ball.... Maybe it a little more known in central states It far more recognizable then any thing in Atlanta skyline. So if you don't think Dallas Reunion is ironic imagine what people think of Atlanta.

The Bridge is new that's a little different.

I also said Symbols take time, It has a lot to do with repetitive of images over time. It's when we see cities we began to immediately think of monuments and famous places. London.... Big Ben, Buckingham, Those Buses, And the Bridge. Los Angeles..... Line planted Trees, Hollywood sign, Vince Beach etc.

My other point unless the city does built something it can not grow to be ironic over time. You have to be in the race to make it to the finish line. Outside Atlanta's millennium arch and fountain of rings Atlanta doesn't have large enough monuments to grow to become ironic.

I think you maybe thinking I'm saying copy St Louis, Dallas or Seattle, no... We live the modern world at a time a larger diversity of abstract architecture and etc can be built. Atlanta symbol the Phoenix, Atlanta city of Trees Atlanta has it's own heritage for inspiration to draw deigns from.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,896,622 times
I do think the Westin Peachtree or the Coca-Cola sign is Atlanta's icon, since there is only 1 other Portman design, circular 70 story tower in the world and it is not the Westin.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,925,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep, we're stuck with it, even if it is based on a mispronunciation and long-outdated facts.

I guess it's no worse than NYC being called the Big apple, despite the fact they don't have much to do with apples.

Georgia IS a big peach producing state even if its not the biggest. There's a lot of orchards in South Georgia.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiime View Post
I wish there was a way to add some sort of water feature. I know that would be a tall order, but just flood something. Even if they would re-open the water works to the public, that would be something...I'd love to see some sort of building around that area with maybe some restaurants over looking the water.
I also like the idea of some sort of iconic building. I'd put it in the area between Midtown and Downtown...could be a way to bridge the two areas.
How about simply making a long linear park along Peachtree Creek. Its pretty dismal from I-85 to where it crosses Piedmont.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
I think fountains and statues/sculptures could do a lot for the city, aside from being just a more walkable place which hopefully will come with time.

In that thought, I always have thought that there should be either a building or sculpture that is defined completely by rail and train aspects. ATL is and has historically been a train town and I think having a defining building, sculpture i.e. like the Chrysler building in NY is for cars, but for trains, would be defining and serve the character of the city/region.

Also perhaps something recalling the burning of ATL, maybe a sculpture or something that changes to a fiery red in the sun or something, to recall the burning of ATL. I believe these are the kinds of things that draw on the history, but also make ATL it's own unique thing.
Why big? How about a lot of public art sculptures along the Beltline? They have rotating ones in Candler Park. And some could symbolize the history of places along the Beltline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta