Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:37 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times

Advertisements

wowzers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Is it that they are simply Atlanta "must-see" spots, but have no significance outside of Atlanta? Is it perhaps because Atlanta is near no body of water of size, so as to create more variety in it's eye appeal?
What do you mean by this?

Old 11-15-2016, 08:20 AM

536 posts, read 638,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
I have a sincere belief that this city is almost completely devoid of any identity. With that comes a lack of uniqueness, culture, and artistry. We have a lack of pride, we have a lack of self interest. We reject any sort of progress as we call ourselves"Southern". We refuse to do anything to rectify any of this. We are one big suburb, we are not walkable, we have no arts, etc.
I agree with this. I was really disappointed with Atlanta when I visited, and I had my hopes high. It is even worse than other Southern cities in my opinion, like Richmond, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greenville. It is a very bland place. The majority of it is sprawl, but that's true of other Southern cities. But the non-sprawl parts of Atlanta are pretty bland too, including Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, the East Side, and even Decatur. In my opinion, Atlanta has all the problems of a big city (crime, traffic, etc.) without the benefits (a lot of culture, walkability, charming neighborhoods, etc.).

Old 11-15-2016, 08:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Underground is so hated, it might actually be underrated. There are some stores there that if they were anywhere else in the area, people would say "we really need that in Downtown." Plus, it's a pretty interesting and unique place structurally.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
I agree with this. I was really disappointed with Atlanta when I visited, and I had my hopes high. It is even worse than other Southern cities in my opinion, like Richmond, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Greenville. It is a very bland place. The majority of it is sprawl, but that's true of other Southern cities. But the non-sprawl parts of Atlanta are pretty bland too, including Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, the East Side, and even Decatur. In my opinion, Atlanta has all the problems of a big city (crime, traffic, etc.) without the benefits (a lot of culture, walkability, charming neighborhoods, etc.).
Charming Neighborhood is subjective. It all depends on personal desires. What do you think of black culture? Atlanta has a lot that.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:30 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,695 times
List is garbage for listing one of countries best aquariums and one of the best malls in the south east as overrated. They don't even give good reasons.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:32 PM

222 posts, read 242,958 times
Quote:
Where the hell did you go?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:52 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
What is the East Side?

Old 11-15-2016, 02:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
Where the hell did you go?
Co-sign.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
AJC did it again. Listing Travel and Leisure's most overrated places of Atlanta.
The 7 most overrated places in Atlanta

1. The Varsity
2. World of Coca-Cola
3. Underground
4. Atlantic Station Wellness Wednesdays
5. Lenox
6. Skyview
7. Georgia Aquarium

The Varsity as food is pretty much forgettable. Just visit it once just to say you've done it.
The World of Coca-Cola is like paying to see a commercial. Could be much more interesting.
Underground...just not worth the time.
Atlantic Station wellness...haven't tried it though I'm not into yoga.
Lenox...it's a mall
Skyview, I've seen better ferris wheels.
Didn't much like the Aquarium. But I've seen others and didn't like them much either.

In summation, I agree with the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta