Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:17 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
1. Georgia Aquarium

Personally, I like the Aquarium. Then again, I am into that kind of stuff *lol*. If I had to point out an overrated aquarium, I would gestured towards the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga. I know that one existed long before the one in Atlanta, but I still can't believe that people used to drive from Atlanta to go there.

2. Skyview Atlanta

I am actually still trying to take a ride on this one. However, after our ride on the High Roller in Vegas, my better half isn't in a hurry to get on another ferris wheel of any size. I don't think that anyone would come to the A specifically to get on the Skyview, but I could see it could be worked into a visit if you are in the area. I see it serving the same purpose as the aforementioned High Roller in Vegas or the Orlando Eye (Basically, "Hey, look at that over there! Do you feel like getting on it?").

3. Lenox Square Mall

Again, this is something that could worked into a visit if someone wants to kill a little time by going to a mall to either shop or people watch. I have definitely seen worse malls in some other cities. Also, the location makes it a good space filler before dinner or another nearby activity.

4. Atlantic Station

See above.

5. Underground Atlanta

The only reason why I won't say that the Underground is "overrated" is because I don't think that tourists even rate the place at all these days. For some of us that have been here for a while, there is still a tinge of nostalgia (especially if you frequented the place when it was a little better). On the other hand, I haven't come across a visitor/tourist that even thought about going to the place lately. Back in the 90's before I moved to Georgia, everybody that I knew that visited Atlanta came back with pictures of them at the Underground. Nowadays, I doubt that happens. It's still not a terrible place and there is plenty of potential.

6. World of Coke

I actually enjoyed the World of Coke. Then again, before I stopped drinking sodas Coca-Cola was my go-to. I could see where a Coca-Cola lover or a history buff would enjoy the place.

7. The Varsity

This is the only one that I would definitely say is overrated without question. However, it is still not a bad spot to go to on a visit if you feel like it. Conversely, when I worked within walking distance of the place many years ago, I only went there for lunch once and didn't feel an urge to go back.

Great post. Just another example of different people liking different things. Some people tend to poo-poo all of these attractions (and the entire city) but replies like this one show us that not everyone agrees. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 05:47 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Good point.

I think that if you visit Atlanta and leave without having visited the Clermont Lounge, you totally cheated yourself....but obviously, that's not for everyone!

Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,899 times
Yeah, I'd agree with most items on this list, but it's silly to list malls as overrated.

As for the comments about KSM and PCM, I'm gonna totally disagree there. Along with Auburn Curb Market, they have about the best collections of top notch food stalls under one roof that I've seen anywhere. And I certainly don't find them overpriced. When I have guests in from out of town these days those are the things they are most impressed with - up there with the Civil Rights museum which gets solid reviews too.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:25 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
What makes these places "over rated" anyway? I don't get it.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 PM

272 posts, read 271,765 times
Hmm. Atlanta itself.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What makes these places "over rated" anyway? I don't get it.
A click-bait website like Travel + Leisure has rated it highly in past postings.

"The 10 absolute best places to visit in Atlanta. #7 will shock you."

Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Hmm. Atlanta itself.
Delta is ready when you are.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
See how diverse people are? Many people on here and in real life agree that WOC is boring and/or not worth seeing, but some people actually do like it - and I think it's many more than we realize. We need to remember that we are all different and like a variety of things...what is lame to one person may be fabulous to the next. That's why lists like these are never universal.
ITA with this. Whenever I showed visitors around, I would let them decide what they wanted to do. When asked, I would give my opinion, but honestly, I think I am much different than the average person in regards to my "likes."

I was pretty shocked that I enjoyed Coke as much as I did. But I am a history buff at heart about practically everything and the historical aspects of the WoC were just really good IMO. People who enjoy history or Coke products I think would enjoy WoC.

Also, they are the cheapest thing around there I believe (not sure how much the Civil Rights museum is as I haven't been there yet) and it is way worth the value IMO. The kids loved various aspects of WoC and they enjoyed tasting all the different flavors of soda from around the world (they especially loved seeing how nasty the "Beverly" was lol).

I only went due to one of my nephews wanting to go during a visit he had with us one summer. I didn't initially want to go but really enjoyed it.

Ironically, none of my nephews enjoyed the aquarium. They thought it was too crowded and the oldest nephew visited when he was 11 and they wouldn't let him play on the indoor playground because he was too big so he was upset. They all loved Fernbank though and the zoo and we went to the Atlanta History Museum and various state parks and different restaurants and shopping centers, including all the ones mentioned in the OP along with Perimeter Mall (my favorite mall) and the Mall of Georgia. We also visited the High Museum and my relatives liked it okay but thought it was too expensive (the museum in our hometown is free and has a great art collection and programs, I also don't think much of the High due to growing up with my hometown museum).

All my relatives, even the kids enjoyed the King Center, especially because we went on the tour of his childhood home, the kids especially always got a kick out of that.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:55 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Travel and Leisure named 7 overrated places in Atlanta. Do you agree?

The 7 most overrated places in Atlanta | www.ajc.com

1. Georgia Aquarium
2. Skyview Atlanta
3. Lenox Square Mall
4. Atlantic Station
5. Underground Atlanta
6. World of Coke
7. The Varsity

I'd have included Centennial Park and CNN Center. They're trying to breathe new life into Underground. Georgia Aquarium is ...well...an aquarium. Skyview is a ferris wheel. Lenox...a mall. Atlantic Station ...an open air mall. Varsity ...overrated culinary experience. I haven't seen World of Coke but haven't heard ringing endorsements.
For me, number 1, 3, 5, and 7. I also think Centennial Olympic Park is overrated.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:17 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,584 times
GA Aquarium; Definitely worth it's weight.... I see the niche the market is catering too and they are doing a good job besides all the Beluga Whales dying. Great Tourist Attraction.

Skyview; Interesting. Would have liked to see it better positioned in the city to create symmetry but I guess that's asking too much...

Lenox Mall; Totally not overrated. If ur a shopper such as myself, this is a great place. Pretty much every brand you can think of. If ur not into shopping or style I can see why it's rated low and ur an idiot for mentioning knowing what ur interest are.

Atlantic Station; Gets better with age. Love the feel in the autumn

Underground; WASTE

World of Coke; WASTE

Varsity; Has potential but the fact that a lot of people don't believe means it not really getting better but will continue to stick around due to history.

Whoever was allowed to post that in the AJC is a complete fool. That's what's wrong with this city. Maybe post that in Creative Loafing or something but not in the AJC....C'mon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta