Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM

32 posts, read 148,035 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired after long careers in Chicago, one of the country's truly great cities. Prolonged winters caused us to relocate to warmer climes, but we miss cultural access to symphonies, operas, theatre and museums. The area we're in now has a few cultural outlets, but we want to move to a more vibrant and urbane setting with a moderate climate -- no prolonged winters but neither do we want to be indoors half the year because it's too hot and humid to venture out. We think the terrain is quite beautiful and the weather seems pleasant enough, so our preliminary research on Atlanta area looks very promising (and yes we know about the traffic but we won't be adding to it with a daily commute). Here's the catch: we'd really like to live on a lake -- which seems harder to identify close to Atlanta. We really need your insight, please. Doesn't have to necessarily be a large lake, but not a small retention pond either. Easy access to quality health care, reasonable taxes, relatively safe, high quality of life are most important. Don't need a McMansion or large lot, but prefer newer high quality 4+ bdrm, under $999k. Seems like this should be fairly simple, but at our age we have to get it right as this will be our last move. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Are you looking for a lake you can put a boat into, or just something that you can sit on the side of or fish in?

We live in Harmony on the Lakes in Holly Springs, and you can get a brand new home there for anywhere from $300k to $600k. They're not "on the lake", but there are a number of homes across the street from it, and some that back up to it. It's not a motorboating lake, but it's a pretty nice size, and there's plenty of fish.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks, Bob. Not looking for power boats, but electric motors would be ok but not mandatory. My husband definitely wants a great lake view from back of house so that limits our options.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic girl View Post
My husband and I are retired after long careers in Chicago, one of the country's truly great cities. Prolonged winters caused us to relocate to warmer climes, but we miss cultural access to symphonies, operas, theatre and museums. The area we're in now has a few cultural outlets, but we want to move to a more vibrant and urbane setting with a moderate climate -- no prolonged winters but neither do we want to be indoors half the year because it's too hot and humid to venture out. We think the terrain is quite beautiful and the weather seems pleasant enough, so our preliminary research on Atlanta area looks very promising (and yes we know about the traffic but we won't be adding to it with a daily commute). Here's the catch: we'd really like to live on a lake -- which seems harder to identify close to Atlanta. We really need your insight, please. Doesn't have to necessarily be a large lake, but not a small retention pond either. Easy access to quality health care, reasonable taxes, relatively safe, high quality of life are most important. Don't need a McMansion or large lot, but prefer newer high quality 4+ bdrm, under $999k. Seems like this should be fairly simple, but at our age we have to get it right as this will be our last move. Thanks for your help!
Look at Silver Lake in Brookhaven (30319), very close to Buckead. Its not very big but the right house will have a great view. You may find a decent renovated house there for under 1 million. Most new builds are 1.5 plus. There are generally only 2 or 3 houses for sale that are actually lakefront in the area.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Look at Silver Lake in Brookhaven (30319), very close to Buckead. Its not very big but the right house will have a great view. You may find a decent renovated house there for under 1 million. Most new builds are 1.5 plus. There are generally only 2 or 3 houses for sale that are actually lakefront in the area.
For smaller lakes...

Loch Highland in East Cobb.

Along Bishop Lake Road in East Cobb.

The Mountain Park community in North Fulton.

For Lake Lanier...

Try Harbour Point in Hall County.

Good Luck.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks, blackrabbit. I'll keep searching 30319. Airies, I'll have to research further these smaller lakes to get their zips for on-line searches until we drive up in March.

Really like the idea of Cobb because of senior prop tax break. I know Fayette also offers srs a good discount by eliminating the school portion. Any other suggestions?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Thanks, blackrabbit. I'll keep searching 30319. Airies, I'll have to research further these smaller lakes to get their zips for on-line searches until we drive up in March.

Really like the idea of Cobb because of senior prop tax break. I know Fayette also offers srs a good discount by eliminating the school portion. Any other suggestions?

Definitely look in Peachtree City (in Fayette County)!

Lake communties, golf cart paths throughout...perfect for retirees!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I got a better idea-
Smaller metro, good arts, plenty of medical, and reasonable taxes, nice size lake(with water), milder climate, traffic? only downtown and around DELL computer (Round Rock)- Lake Travis.
Austin, TX.

lake travis.com - If it's on the Lake....It's here.

Or was Atl your only choice?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:

Thought Dekalb did the same?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Quite possibly DeKalb is similar. Haven't yet researched all the collar counties. Very hard to zero in on best community long distance which is why I'm relying on your perspectives to research before we drive up.

As far as Austin, thanks but we're focusing on Atlanta now. However, I'm open (more than my husband) to other possibilities east of the MS, but can't be too far north to appease him. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta