Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times

Advertisements

The culture is less direct I guess in an effort to be more polite. I mean I'd just rather hear a straight up no than being led on.

I have not had the experience of someone not setting up second interviews, but they generally set it up right then. I have had people who said they'd call me back, and I never heard another word out of them. I think it's a case of ignoring the task and it will go away.

My background is in IT as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:49 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Charleston survives on tourism and it's 'southern charm', while Atlanta is a commercial hub. You won't find very many BBQ or southern food restaurants down here, but you will find a lot of cosmopolitan food.
Tourism is just one segment of Charleston's very diverse economy, which is BOOMING by the way. And there are BBQ and southern cooking restaurants all over Atlanta (Fat Matts? Mary Macs?) in addition to "cosmo food" so I'm not sure what kinda chamber of commerce nano speak you're trying to send out?

OP: It took me more than a year of trying to nail down an Atlanta media job that I wanted ttwo decades ago. At one point I was offered a position only to have it pulled back after higher ups objected to me being a white male. They wanted a minority or a woman. These are the kinds of hoops you may have to go through to get a great job in Atlanta, assuming you're a white male as well.

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-07-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 08:49 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
The culture is less direct I guess in an effort to be more polite. I mean I'd just rather hear a straight up no than being led on.

I have not had the experience of someone not setting up second interviews, but they generally set it up right then. I have had people who said they'd call me back, and I never heard another word out of them. I think it's a case of ignoring the task and it will go away.

My background is in IT as well.
Someone I dealt with must read this board b/c i just got an email apologizing for the delay

I think that perhaps we IT people are usually bound by SLAs, customer service, and managing expectations whereas other departments are not.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Tourism is just one segment of Charleston's very diverse economy, which is BOOMING by the way. And there are BBQ and southern cooking restaurants all over Atlanta (Fat Matts? Mary Macs?) in addition to "cosmo food" so I'm not sure what kinda chamber of commerce nano speak you're trying to send out?

OP: It took me more than a year of trying to nail down an Atlanta media job that I wanted ttwo decades ago. At one point I was offered a position only to have it pulled back after higher ups objected to me being a white male. They wanted a minority or a woman. These are the kinds of hoops you have to go through to get a great job in Atlanta, assuming you're a white male as well?
Compared to other southern cities, Atlanta lacks the frequency of BBQ and southern food (meat and 2) restaurants.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Compared to other southern cities, Atlanta lacks the frequency of BBQ and southern food (meat and 2) restaurants.
I prefer meat and three anyways.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I prefer meat and three anyways.
I love them too, but they are hard to find. I can only think of a few in Atlanta; with Eats being the go to.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:59 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,532 times
I've never been especially enamored with BBQ or other southern fare. I do like good pizza though and atlanta seems to haev a lot of that - I've only been to Verasanos though. I plan on checking out The Fix in Roswell this weekend.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
I've never been especially enamored with BBQ or other southern fare. I do like good pizza though and atlanta seems to haev a lot of that - I've only been to Verasanos though. I plan on checking out The Fix in Roswell this weekend.
Best pizza in Atlanta; Antico, close second is Amazza.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
I love them too, but they are hard to find. I can only think of a few in Atlanta; with Eats being the go to.
If you think about it, 'hood Chinese restaurants are basically meat and threes.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:47 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Your problem is probably being out of state. Employers are very reluctant to hire from out of state since it's usually a big pita. Once you get here, you will not have trouble finding work.
This would be the root of the problem. It isn't however due to being categorized as being an "other" from out of state. Rather, it's due to how a lot of IT positions in this town are tied to specific projects with kick off dates set in stone. They usually need someone to start yesterday, rather than wait a few weeks while they get settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta