Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 8,111 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am currently being considered for a job in downtown Atlanta. If the offer is made and accepted, I will need to move to Atlanta in a few months. I have never been to Atlanta and need help choosing an area to live, please. Inner city is fine, perhaps preferable.

My sticky responses follow, but let me summarize my ideal: a cheap single unit apt, very low rent with utilities included. I am not overly concerened with crime because I know the cheaper the area, the higher the instance of crime (usually). My goal is to save money on rent to pay off an enormous school and credit card debt. Please, any links or information on where the most economic parts of Atlanta are (for rental) and their rank as far as crime would be appreciated. Race, ethnicity, creed, etc does not matter. I am an inclusive person and manange well with my peers, youth, and elders just fine.

I am a single man, 43, active with long walks for exercise, no children, no expensive possessions (except laptop, phone, tablet). Oh, I do not drive and will need to be use MARTA daily.

1. Budget = $800 monthly (utilities included if possible)
2. Apt or House to rent (please, no rooms)
3. Employment Status = commute on MARTA
4. No Children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle = No preference, but enjoy diversity
6. Easy access to public transit = Important, a must (I do not drive)
7. Neighborhood demographics = cheap foremost, diversity secondary

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 05:40 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasir View Post
Hi. I am currently being considered for a job in downtown Atlanta. If the offer is made and accepted, I will need to move to Atlanta in a few months. I have never been to Atlanta and need help choosing an area to live, please. Inner city is fine, perhaps preferable.

My sticky responses follow, but let me summarize my ideal: a cheap single unit apt, very low rent with utilities included. I am not overly concerened with crime because I know the cheaper the area, the higher the instance of crime (usually). My goal is to save money on rent to pay off an enormous school and credit card debt. Please, any links or information on where the most economic parts of Atlanta are (for rental) and their rank as far as crime would be appreciated. Race, ethnicity, creed, etc does not matter. I am an inclusive person and manange well with my peers, youth, and elders just fine.

I am a single man, 43, active with long walks for exercise, no children, no expensive possessions (except laptop, phone, tablet). Oh, I do not drive and will need to be use MARTA daily.

1. Budget = $800 monthly (utilities included if possible)
2. Apt or House to rent (please, no rooms)
3. Employment Status = commute on MARTA
4. No Children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle = No preference, but enjoy diversity
6. Easy access to public transit = Important, a must (I do not drive)
7. Neighborhood demographics = cheap foremost, diversity secondary

Thank you.
Atlanta is fastly gentrifying so its harder to find places but $800 is ok for the most part.
I would recommend somewhere on the East or West-sides.
East definitely has way more diversity but is beginning to get pricey although still some reasonable areas.However it has public transportation but the MARTA stops are near more expensive areas,but you can still be close by bus and transfer fairly easy to those stations and you will save considerable money.
Perhaps near East Atlanta Village somewhere near Flatshoals?Glenwood Ave.

The Northern part of the city is where most of the good paying jobs are and the majority of the wealth.That is Midtown,Buckhead and the Northern Suburbs like Dunwoody and Sandy Springs which are very affluent.
Would be extremely hard to find anything for $800 but not impossible.

If you dont mind living in a less than great but improving neighborhood,try the Westend. Its historic mostly lower income African American but slowly gentrifying but not just whites but young black professionals.

Its located near historic Historically Black Colleges created to educate blacks after the Civil War.
There are four now in total.Together they make up the consortium called Atlanta University Center.
Two are Clark Atlanta University and The international Theological Seminary.The other two are what are refereed to as "Black Ivy" which are consider the best of the over 120 something of these universities across the U.S. and they are Spelman and Morehouse Colleges.
Spelman is all female and Morehouse is all Male. Famous alumni are Martin Luther King Jr,Samuel L Jackson and Spike Lee,senators,chairman of banks,astronauts,former Secretary of Health,Surgeon Generals and the list goes on and on.
Many famous events have happened in the are since the Civil War as many battles were fought all around Atlanta.
Being the home of Martin Luther King,Atlanta also played a role in Civil Rights in America for African Americans and those schools were abslutely integral in organizing vital strategy in the fight for equal rights of African Americans.

The area is also close to the Westend MARTA subway

Atlanta is a fast growing city and is very fun.Especially in the summer.It does get very HOT but you say you are from South America so you should be okay.It rarely snows but it does get cold.

Its also a very green city with lots of trees and hills.We are in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains so you only have to go a little over and hour to get to some beautiful lush green mountains with waterfalls and wildlife.
Atlanta is the capital of Georgia,a very big state that is 4 hour drive to its oldest city Savannah founded in 1733.
Savanah is one of Americas most beautiful cities so that will be a treat welll after you arrive but that another thread!

Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 AM

Othello, thank you for the very educational and informative response. I appreciate the history and guidance of where to start a apartment search. I should clarify: I am from the U.S. orgininally (Philadelphia), but I have been living in Colombia volunteering. I am Black, also (so the areas undergoing gentrification and the lower icome areas are fine).

I know little of Atlanta, except that is the "Black Mecca," lol, as an influx of African Americans has been steady. I will relocate there only if the job offer comes through, so finding employment won´t be a need.

From my reading here on City Data I was under the impression MARTA was citywide, but last night found an old thread that said it runs only in two counties (and metro ATL is maybe 10 counties?). What are the public transportation options and areas of service please? How reliable is public transportation?

Also, I searched for a singled bedroom apartment on www.rent.com and found listings claiming as low as $439. I included some links below. These types of prices always raise my skepticism and suspicion. Could these prices possiblly be true? If so, what are those areas like, please?

1. $439 (Harmony Plaza I, 30311)

Harmony Plaza I - Plaza Lane Sw | Atlanta, GA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

2. $500 (Stone Park Presedential Apt, 30331)

Stone Park Presidential Apartments - N Camp Creek Parkway | Atlanta, GA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

3. $519 (Dodson Courtyard, 30344)

Dodson Courtyard - Dodson Connector #2 | East Point, GA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

4. $520 (Biscayne, 30349)

http://www.rent.com/georgia/college-...cayne-4-548754

Also, what are your thoughts on narrowing down areas by zip code? Is it an effective method or misleading because areas within zips can be very disparate?

Thanks again everyone (and special thanks to Othello).

Old 06-10-2016, 07:56 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
A recent map of housing costs near MARTA stations could give you a sense of what areas of town to start your search in:

Does living near MARTA make your home more valuable? Depends on which station. - Atlanta Magazine

I'd rate "West End" / "Oakland City" areas as a best buy personally!

Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
You mentioned that you are volunteering currently. Does that mean you are arriving with few possessions in tow (i.e., no furniture)? If possible, I suggest getting an inexpensive hotel room for a few days upon arriving in ATL so you can check out places in person before committing to anything. There is often so much differentiation from one "block" to another. For instance, there are parts of the Camp Creek area that are quite nice and well-established, and others that are sketchy. You are correct in your assumption that areas within zip codes are disparate.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the map jsvh; yes, wasel, I will arrive with just two suitcases. It would be a completely new start. A low cost hotel might be a good idea. Also, Extended Stay hotels could be a temporary option (I stayed in one before in Maryland). I think a poster mentioned there are Extended Stays in Atlanta.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:53 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Othello, thank you for the very educational and informative response. I appreciate the history and guidance of where to start a apartment search. I should clarify: I am from the U.S. orgininally (Philadelphia), but I have been living in Colombia volunteering. I am Black, also (so the areas undergoing gentrification and the lower icome areas are fine).

I know little of Atlanta, except that is the "Black Mecca," lol, as an influx of African Americans has been steady. I will relocate there only if the job offer comes through, so finding employment won´t be a need.

From my reading here on City Data I was under the impression MARTA was citywide, but last night found an old thread that said it runs only in two counties (and metro ATL is maybe 10 counties?). What are the public transportation options and areas of service please? How reliable is public transportation?

Also, I searched for a singled bedroom apartment on www.rent.com and found listings claiming as low as $439. I included some links below. These types of prices always raise my skepticism and suspicion. Could these prices possiblly be true? If so, what are those areas like, please?

Stone Park Presidential Apartments - N Camp Creek Parkway | Atlanta, GA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Dodson Courtyard - Dodson Connector #2 | East Point, GA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Also, what are your thoughts on narrowing down areas by zip code? Is it an effective method or misleading because areas within zips can be very disparate?

I know Philly well.I spent every other summer with family when I was young. Mostly Yeadon,West Oak Lane areas.

Those apartments are cheap for a reason.Be careful because many of them have roaches and you wont see then till after you move in.

Atlanta subway is adequate at best.Its nowhere near Septa although its nicer and cleaner.Its will get you in the city but its lagging in between stops so buses will be needed unless you live and work close to the station.

Your job choices will be limited by your mobility.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I know Philly well.I spent every other summer with family when I was young. Mostly Yeadon,West Oak Lane areas.

Those apartments are cheap for a reason.Be careful because many of them have roaches and you wont see then till after you move in.

Atlanta subway is adequate at best.Its nowhere near Septa although its nicer and cleaner.Its will get you in the city but its lagging in between stops so buses will be needed unless you live and work close to the station.

Your job choices will be limited by your mobility.
Thank you for the input. It is very helpful, and good to know about the subway system.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:50 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:

Just to clear you up about the transit, technically MARTA is citywide (The City of Atlanta is only in Fulton and DeKalb counties.). As far as what's considered the core of the metro that would be Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton (These are MARTA counties), Gwinnett and Cobb (MARTA doesn't run here but they have their own bus only service). Anything outside of these counties are far out suburbs to exburbs and are certainly not the city. Our 10 county metro is misleading. Anyway try looking in areas like West End, Historic Westside Village, Oakland City, Historic College Park, and East Atlanta Village.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Just to clear you up about the transit, technically MARTA is citywide (The City of Atlanta is only in Fulton and DeKalb counties.). As far as what's considered the core of the metro that would be Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton (These are MARTA counties), Gwinnett and Cobb (MARTA doesn't run here but they have their own bus only service). Anything outside of these counties are far out suburbs to exburbs and are certainly not the city. Our 10 county metro is misleading. Anyway try looking in areas like West End, Historic Westside Village, Oakland City, Historic College Park, and East Atlanta Village.

Thank you! I will know soon if I will receive the job offer and need to make the move to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta