Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
One thing that bothers me is that it doesn't appear that most of these building are putting in street-level retail.
That's simply not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default A new condo boom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
I think it's neat to see all the new construction in Midtown, but I wonder if they're overbuilding. I work in a tower right in the heart of Midtown, & we look out from the upper floors & see cranes in every direction. One thing that bothers me is that it doesn't appear that most of these building are putting in street-level retail. And that is something this area needs. Someone mentioned Atlanta becoming a 'real city' and was accused of trashing ATL. I like ATL, but I agreed with his sentiment. It doesn't have the same urban feel as smaller places like Boston, Seattle, & Portland, and it's due to the relative lack of street life in Midtown and downtown compared to those places.

I work in Midtown too & completely understand your sentiments about street level retail. But, there are practical & $ sides to what is built & how much retail space is allotted that is driven by demand.
Already in Midtown there are numerous newer residential & mixed use towers & complexes that have an abundance of street level retail space with much of it presently in a vacant state. Even along high profile Peachtree St., the vacancy level is somewhat problematic.
I'm specifically reminded of the failures & shaking out processes that have occurred there in several signature structures such as those near 12th & Peachtree on down to the 999 Peachtree Building.
Similarly, a number of developments on other major Midtown thoroughfares & side streets also have major amounts of vacant retail space for rent.
Midtown is evolving & still finding itself as to what it is and will be. We should be cognizant of the fact that the "build it and they will come" mindset does not always work, whether it be in office, residential or retail developments & Atlanta is not unique in this real estate truism.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:45 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Another midtown project moves forward!

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...945&j=74041202

Old 06-15-2016, 06:08 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I work in Midtown too & completely understand your sentiments about street level retail. But, there are practical & $ sides to what is built & how much retail space is allotted that is driven by demand.
Already in Midtown there are numerous newer residential & mixed use towers & complexes that have an abundance of street level retail space with much of it presently in a vacant state. Even along high profile Peachtree St., the vacancy level is somewhat problematic.
I'm specifically reminded of the failures & shaking out processes that have occurred there in several signature structures such as those near 12th & Peachtree on down to the 999 Peachtree Building.
Similarly, a number of developments on other major Midtown thoroughfares & side streets also have major amounts of vacant retail space for rent.
Midtown is evolving & still finding itself as to what it is and will be. We should be cognizant of the fact that the "build it and they will come" mindset does not always work, whether it be in office, residential or retail developments & Atlanta is not unique in this real estate truism.
I see this in Brookhaven and Chamblee too. For example, Town Brookhaven has hundreds of apartments sitting on top of retail space and probably a good 3rd of the retail is empty. Empty despite the fact that they in a highly visible area of residential PLUS the very high-traffic Costco in the same center. Chamblee is very similar--lots of condos and a MARTA station right in the middle of it, yet most of the retail space is empty.

I have a friend who is a small business owner and she has told me how $ retail space is these days, even in the old strip-center type areas. You have to be making really good cash flow to make it work, and unless you're an established chain, it's tough to swing it.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I see this in Brookhaven and Chamblee too. For example, Town Brookhaven has hundreds of apartments sitting on top of retail space and probably a good 3rd of the retail is empty. Empty despite the fact that they in a highly visible area of residential PLUS the very high-traffic Costco in the same center. Chamblee is very similar--lots of condos and a MARTA station right in the middle of it, yet most of the retail space is empty.

I have a friend who is a small business owner and she has told me how $ retail space is these days, even in the old strip-center type areas. You have to be making really good cash flow to make it work, and unless you're an established chain, it's tough to swing it.
Yeah there's no doubt right now there are many businesses who would love to try their luck in Midtown, but the rents are so high for businesses that only chains can really move in. Rarely will a mom and pop restaurant open in Midtown.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah there's no doubt right now there are many businesses who would love to try their luck in Midtown, but the rents are so high for businesses that only chains can really move in. Rarely will a mom and pop restaurant open in Midtown.
Midtown CID needs to create a program that will offset the rents to help small businesses get in the retail spaces.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:53 PM

770 posts, read 603,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Midtown CID needs to create a program that will offset the rents to help small businesses get in the retail spaces.
This would be big, it's fairly obvious that some of these retail locations are way out in pricing, particularly thinking 1080 Peachtree, compared to what's realistic at this time.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I agree, also developers need to think of the retail spaces as building amenities and not profit centers. Having a small bodega, cleaners, coffee shop should be the equivalent of building a pool.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I agree, also developers need to think of the retail spaces as building amenities and not profit centers. Having a small bodega, cleaners, coffee shop should be the equivalent of building a pool.
A great point, but it sure is hard to get developers to see it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: