Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times

Advertisements

Good post, B2R.

This data shows how quickly school systems change.

How does this affect the idea that you can move to the suburbs and automatically get "good schools"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) newspaper examined recent new data from the ARC (Atlanta Regional Commission) showing how the racial makeup of many metro Atlanta school districts has changed dramatically over the last 20 years or so during the period between 1995 and 2015.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,891,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Precisely why I want my white kids to go to a majority white school. No racism or bullying then.
I was the only white kid on my bus in HS, but I never got bullied or dealt with racism. We all got along and I found something we all had in common, Spades so we would play games on the 1 hour long bus ride to school. That experience has taught me how to find something in common with people from a different background than me and use that to build a relationship on.
PS I went to The School District of Palm Beach County.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:11 AM

371 posts, read 457,154 times
Quote:
Precisely why I want my white kids to go to a majority white school. No racism or bullying then.
When you elect to raise your children in a homogenous environment, you miss out on the opportunity to teach your kids to be accepting and tolerant of other people. If that is fine with you, then it is certainly your right to put your kids in whatever school you choose. No where in my post did I say: People should not put their kids in majority-(race) schools. I was simply sharing my own personal experience and how it has shaped my opinions on the diversity debate.

For what it's worth, I think that your white kids would do just fine in a school where other ethnicities are represented. When I moved to a more diverse school, where multiple ethnicities were represented, everyone got along quite well. I never witnessed anyone being bullied due to their race. The only time I have witnessed and experienced racial bullying has been in a majority white school. Perhaps if those kids had more exposure to other ethnicities, they would not have been so cruel.

But like I said, you have the right to put your kids in whatever school you choose.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,918,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
When you elect to raise your children in a homogenous environment, you miss out on the opportunity to teach your kids to be accepting and tolerant of other people. If that is fine with you, then it is certainly your right to put your kids in whatever school you choose. No where in my post did I say: People should not put their kids in majority-(race) schools. I was simply sharing my own personal experience and how it has shaped my opinions on the diversity debate.

For what it's worth, I think that your white kids would do just fine in a school where other ethnicities are represented. When I moved to a more diverse school, where multiple ethnicities were represented, everyone got along quite well. I never witnessed anyone being bullied due to their race. The only time I have witnessed and experienced racial bullying has been in a majority white school. Perhaps if those kids had more exposure to other ethnicities, they would not have been so cruel.

But like I said, you have the right to put your kids in whatever school you choose.
The poster didn't say they wanted a "homogenous" school. They said they wanted a school where they weren't a minority. One of the minority posters (maybe you-I'm not re-reading to check) said they didn't want to be a small minority, but wanted a substantial number of their same group.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:09 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,014,371 times
Quote:
And this why we cannot progress. I went to a school that was 80% black, 10% asian, 7% latinx, and maybe 2% white. And you know what? Not all of those white kids got bullied. Many of them where the most popular kids in school, sports stars, prominent in the musical programs, etc.

What matters in life is not the color of skin, but how you interact with other people. If you tell your children that if they are around children of color and expect to get bullied, guess what will happen? They will get bullied. Not because of the color of their skin, but because they will treat their interactions with other kids as something to fear.

Now am I going to act like it never happens? No, because it obviously does. There are children of color that have racist parents and teach them dumb stuff too. However, this idea that the whiteness of one skin automatically makes them a target for kids of color is an ignorance based logic rooted in fear, not reality.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The poster didn't say they wanted a "homogenous" school. They said they wanted a school where they weren't a minority. One of the minority posters (maybe you-I'm not re-reading to check) said they didn't want to be a small minority, but wanted a substantial number of their same group.
I'm responding to
Quote:

which I interpreted as homogenous: of the same kind; alike.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:38 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,489,577 times
Quote:
Well, they can pick any school district in most places in the US and get that... A truly racially diverse school district is rare these days...

Old 06-15-2016, 10:39 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,918,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
I'm responding to

which I interpreted as homogenous: of the same kind; alike.
I know you did. I was pointing out that you were twisting the word "majority" into homogenous. They are not synonyms. That poster was asking for something similar to what the minority poster was.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I know you did. I was pointing out that you were twisting the word "majority" into homogenous. They are not synonyms. That poster was asking for something similar to what the minority poster was.
I don't know what minority poster you're talking about. I didn't see any post saying they want a majority-Black, majority-Hispanic, or majority-(any other "minority") school.

I was not twisting anyone's words; I was offering my response to her response of my post. Now there's a tongue-twister.

But since you are so focused on semantics, here:

Quote:
When you elect to raise your children in a majority-white environment, you miss out on the opportunity to teach your kids to be accepting and tolerant of other people. If that is fine with you, then it is certainly your right to put your kids in whatever school you choose. No where in my post did I say: People should not put their kids in majority-(race) schools. I was simply sharing my own personal experience and how it has shaped my opinions on the diversity debate...

Better?

Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM

16,714 posts, read 29,560,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That is an excellent point that the addition of toll managed lanes (variable toll lanes) to the I-575 right-of-way is a good sign that Southern Cherokee County is booming.

That is also an excellent inference that the expansion of I-575 will likely help to attract more development to Southern Cherokee County.

That is because I-575 was built as a developmental highway of sorts as a tool to help open up Cherokee County and the North Georgia Mountains region to increased development opportunities (by way of the GA 515 corridor which is a northern extension of I-575 into the North Georgia Mountains region).

I-575 has definitely served its purpose as a developmental tool as Cherokee County's population grew by more than 356% between 1980 and 2015 (from 51,699 in 1980 to 235,900 in 2015).

An issue has been that Cherokee County and the I-75/I-575 Northwest metro Atlanta corridor don't necessarily seem to have seen quite as much heavy commercial development (office and industrial development) as the Georgia 400 North and I-85 Northeast metro Atlanta corridors.

While the I-575 roadway has brought some significant retail commercial development to Southern Cherokee County (most notably to the GA 92, Towne Lake and GA 20/I-575 areas), most of the significant office and industrial development in the I-75/I-575 Northwest corridor seems to stretch only up to North Cobb County.

The lack of the kind of significant office and industrial development in Cherokee County that stretches up the GA 400 and I-85 Northeast corridors (into South Forsyth along GA 400 North and into Hall County along the I-85/I-985 Northeast corridor) means that Cherokee County seems to be much more of a bedroom community of sorts to Cobb and North Fulton counties than Forsyth is to North Fulton and Gwinnett counties or Hall is to Gwinnett.

(...Because of Gainesville's status as a major center of business and industry for Northeast Georgia, along with the presence of Lake Lanier (which is much larger than Northwest metro Atlanta's Lake Allatoona) and the presence of I-985 as a critically important connector road to Atlanta, Hall County has an abnormally large base of industrial development for an exurban county....A major factor which has contributed heavily to Hall County's very large Hispanic population as well as Hall County's stunning rise to the very top of the Georgia and Southeastern U.S. political scenes.)

The lack of significant office and industrial development along the I-575 corridor through Cherokee County compared to the GA 400 and I-85 NE corridors also means that it will likely be slightly more challenging for Cherokee County to attract new Asian residents at the levels that neighboring outer-suburban Forsyth County seems to be attracting new Asian residents as growth and development spills over into Forsyth from North Fulton and Gwinnett counties.
Supposedly, the southeast quadrant of Cherokee (I-575 on the west, Highway 20 to the north) is booming--particularly the Sequoyah and Creekview districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta